Long Range Rifle Discussion

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/6460011043

May 26, 2015, 04:12 PM
jlemmy
Long Range Rifle Discussion
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:

I saw TAB's dope thing up close. Given offgrid's advice of disconnecting the carrying sling for each shooting station, it means it's a no-go for me.

I agree on the sling, quite often there isn't one on my rifle. When there is it't on the HK hooks. I am trying to get a bit more creative. There is a Harris type bipod attachment point (sling swivel) on the bottom of the AICS. I was thinking of taking an Uncle Mike's type sling swivel and attaching a short section of nylon webbing. Then attach the TAB dope thing to that. It would stay on the rifle even when the sling is off. It would only hang down the length of the TAB/sling swivel. Should also remain useable from the firing position. If it doesn't work the wrist band will be given a try.

Happiness is having to climb in your car to change your target.
May 26, 2015, 04:30 PM
offgrid
A few buddies use a wrist coach like fritz, simple non tacti-cool Nike style. Slip a card with printed distances in whatever increments, drop.... Simply make a tick mark next to the distances they're shooting for a stage with a grease pencil. Wipe off tick marks...

I took that Harris bipod adaptor off my AICS stocks (roll pin holding it in). As small as it is, it's got in my way on barricades wanting to rest on the end of the stock.

A guy in my short lived squad at the Cup had one of these. Maker was selling them at the Cup. Alpine bought one. Seems like a good idea, fold out of the way if hit...

http://www.sidewinderindustries.com/
May 31, 2015, 08:37 PM
jelrod1
I practiced a lot of positional shooting today at short range. Only shot two groups, one strong side and the other weak. It's funny, weak side always wins. Just harder to get in the scope not feeling natural and takes longer. The rest was dot drills changing positions. Used benches, stools at different heights, and slung. I keep trying to use the Wiebad pump pillow as an only bag but just can't do it prone. I ordered the Todd Tac pack tonight to give it a try. I'm still going to carry the larger bag in my pack but looking to break it out only when needed.

Fritz, seems I remember you having the Tac pack. Is the fill and feel just like the pump pillow, just smaller? I'm hoping so. How does it compare to the Tactical Shooshie from 3gungear?
May 31, 2015, 09:04 PM
fritz
quote:
Originally posted by jelrod1:
Fritz, seems I remember you having the Tac pack. Is the fill and feel just like the pump pillow, just smaller? I'm hoping so. How does it compare to the Tactical Shooshie from 3gungear?

The todd tac pad does appear to have the same fill as the pump pillow -- it's just smaller overall. Offgrid will be a better person to compare it to the Shmooshie, as I only used his a couple of times. But with my limited time on the Shmooshie, I think the Shmooshie is a little better design.

For me, the tac pad seems to work pretty well as an elbow or arm support. The Shmooshie seems to work well as both a rear bag or as elbow/arm support.
May 31, 2015, 09:54 PM
fritz
Yesterday I gave tour of the family ranch steel "range" to a guy ("R") who's near the end of his duty with special forces. Although not a rifle guy per se (maybe a SIGINT analyst?) R knows a thing or three about pulling a trigger. He met me at the ranch at noon, giving me a time to set up steel and dig/chop/curse at prairie weeds (a couple of hours' worth). I knew my A-game should be running, and I suspected my .308 bolt gun's zero wasn't perfect, so I zeroed at 100 yards and R zeroed his LaRue 5.56 OBR at 100 meters.

R is seriously considering a .308 bolt gun, so he has asked more than a few questions about civilian match ammo -- brands, bullet weights & types, accuracy, ballistics. So I shot the following cold-bore 5-round group as 2 rounds of Hornady 168 HPBT, 2 rounds of FGMM 168, and 1 round of FGMM 175. Re-zero 1/2 MOA left and 1/4 MOA up.

It was fun shooting our own and each other's AR-15s at steel from 330 to 550 yards. I really like the OBR, but I'm more comfy with my Wilson's crisp single-stage trigger. His OBR's two-stage trigger just doesn't seem to be as crisp, even through the second stage is lighter.

We then broke out my .308 bolt gun, proceeding to burn my last to boxes of Hornady 168 and a box of FGMM 168 at 440 to 680 yards. R was totally pumped about easily ringing steel at those distances. We then hopped over to the 800 yard station for the last shots of the day. Loading up FGMM 175 to better deal with the cross winds, we put a combined 9 rounds the lower center of the plate -- maybe 5-6 inches high by 13-14 inches wide.

I was nice to shoot as a team, with each being able to call the other's shots via trace and impact. I think I've converted another shooting buddy to steel targets.
June 01, 2015, 05:51 PM
jlemmy
Finally found the target adjustable buttplate for my AICS. I'm hoping I can use it to eliminate the rifles tendency to slightly cant after the shot.

June 01, 2015, 08:30 PM
exx1976
quote:
Originally posted by jlemmy:
Finally found the target adjustable buttplate for my AICS. I'm hoping I can use it to eliminate the rifles tendency to slightly cant after the shot.

Finally?

You mean this?

http://milehighshooting.mycust...eturncom=productlist

I've got one on my AICS and love it.
June 01, 2015, 08:51 PM
jlemmy
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
quote:
Originally posted by jlemmy:

Finally?

You mean this?

http://milehighshooting.mycust...eturncom=productlist

I've got one on my AICS and love it.

Yup, been on the notify list for quite some time. Got the in stock email this morning Big Grin

June 02, 2015, 10:19 AM
jelrod1
quote:

For me, the tac pad seems to work pretty well as an elbow or arm support. The Shmooshie seems to work well as both a rear bag or as elbow/arm support.

Thanks. I ended up ordering a shmooshie too. Hope to try them both out this coming weekend.

That's a nice group for three different types of ammo! Sounds like it was a fun time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jelrod1,
June 07, 2015, 07:39 PM
exx1976
Finally found and ordered a Str8 Laced rear bag.

Took it to the range today.

'twas a decent day, maybe I'll do better next time.

June 08, 2015, 03:17 PM
jlemmy
Finally, a day off. Installed the target adjustable butt plate on my AICS. What a difference a slight cant makes. Also rigged up my on rifle dope card. Will have to play with it out in the field a bit to see how it works out. If it works I'll lay out and run off cards in the printer.

June 08, 2015, 04:42 PM
offgrid
quote:
Finally found and ordered a Str8 Laced rear bag.

Took it to the range today.

'twas a decent day, maybe I'll do better next time.

No doubt Beanland knows how to screw on a barrel. Nice group! But, you missed the target twice Big Grin
June 10, 2015, 06:49 PM
exx1976
What's this I see on the hide that the guys from the cup fucked up the property so bad that hlthe landowner got pissed and is trying to break t3's lease? Monthly matches are on indefinite hold?

Sucks. Guess I need to find something else to do with that time off in July...
June 11, 2015, 07:53 AM
fritz
quote:
What's this I see on the hide that the guys from the cup fucked up the property so bad that the landowner got pissed and is trying to break t3's lease? Monthly matches are on indefinite hold?

It does sound like the Trigger Time guys have their challenges. I hope they work things out with the land owner, as it is a great place to shoot. Paul and Zach have put a lot of time, effort, and money into the facility.

And yes, the June 13 match was cancelled.
June 11, 2015, 08:02 AM
exx1976
quote:
quote:
What's this I see on the hide that the guys from the cup fucked up the property so bad that the landowner got pissed and is trying to break t3's lease? Monthly matches are on indefinite hold?

It does sound like the Trigger Time guys have their challenges. I hope they work things out with the land owner, as it is a great place to shoot. Paul and Zach have put a lot of time, effort, and money into the facility.

And yes, the June 13 match was cancelled.

Zach just replied to my email, he says they hope to have everything smoothed over in time for the July match.

Here's hoping...
June 18, 2015, 08:28 PM
Alpine
quote:
Originally posted by jelrod1:
quote:

Thanks. I ended up ordering a shmooshie too. Hope to try them both out this coming weekend.

That's a nice group for three different types of ammo! Sounds like it was a fun time.

So did you end up getting the Tactical Shmoosie you ordered? I tried to reach them since I've been down in the Phoenix area all week, and never get anyone, and their message box is full. They don't respond to email either.

Just wondering?

----------------------------------------

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

George Carlin
June 18, 2015, 08:42 PM
jelrod1
No idea what's up with them. Same here. Mailbox full, won't respond to email. I got the guy's cell number from someone else tonight. I'm going to try it in the morning. I'll give it a little while longer but been very frustrating with zero communication. I'll email it to you too if you want to try.
June 18, 2015, 09:37 PM
jelrod1
Broke out Za-laminator for version 2.0 of the dope cards. Also laminated a double sided cheat sheet for unknown distance stages courtesy of a previous offgrid post.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jelrod1,
June 18, 2015, 09:59 PM
entropy
Took my shoot platform on its maiden voyage. Not bad at all to set up. I did manage to loose a flanged castle nut that secures to legs in the brackets. I had to improvise with goodies out of the truck box. I'll include a few extra in the mini toolbox along with the box wrench, socket and wrench.

Grass grew a bit since the last visit. Brought a weed whacker to smooth out the berm but ran out of line after about :30 seconds. I'll put some trimmer line in the tool box too. Big Grin. This was more of a dry run with some shooting tossed in. Discovered the height of the weeds and the undulating terrain prevented me from checking my zero at 100yds like I wanted to. Ended up doing it at about 300yds. Ended up putting some steel out at about 475yds. I know...not way out there but I discovered a few more things... First, its kinda a pain to erect targets on your own. Lol. I spent quite a bit of time walking back and forth getting a clear field of view. Second, because its not a formal range and a large area, you really need a spotter for safety the further you get out. Neither one of these was a concern at my previous location.

On the technical end, had an issue with elevation settings. Long story, but eventhough I was about 1.5moa low on the plate, it confirmed what I had suspected with my zero. I worked the numbers backwards with Ballistic AE and everything made sense. So...a successful learning event for me. I was more than pleased with the 3shot group at 475. If you zoom in a bit on the pic, you can see there are 3 distinct marks on the plate. The shot to the right was my bad misjudging the wind. Tested out a Witt brake as well for my old girlie shoulder. Vast improvement for me. Makes it feel like a .243

Back in about 2 weeks for an extended visit.

picture sharing

hosting images

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."
June 18, 2015, 10:26 PM
fritz
quote:
Originally posted by Alpine:
So did you end up getting the Tactical Shmoosie you ordered?

Yep, it arrived yesterday. Seems like a decent bag. Definitely a little smaller than the tac pad, definitely larger than the FTW bag I've used for awhile now.

Got your message, but just been crazy at work. Next weekend sounds good for practice -- we can discuss details. Meeting you at the Douglas match, then carpooling daily works for me.