SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jelrod1:
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:

Going with a longer barrel for the Benchrest 6.5x47?

Yes. I forgot to weigh everything last night to decide on length and contour so I'll probably wait one more day before ordering. The Light Gun class limit is 17lbs. Probably get a 30 to 31" blank and finish as long as it can.

Have you messed with this? Can change dimensions to calculate weight.

http://border-barrels.com/bbldims.htm

I've bought a few barrels here. Father and son run the place, Ed and Aaron, good guys to do business with.

http://www.butchsreloading.com/shop/

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
There were 30 5-round groups shot by the entrants.

Off the top of my head, these are the calibers I recall:

6BR
6.5x47
.338 LM
.338 NM
.338 EDGE
.308 (I was the only one)
7.62x40

I'm sure there were more, but those stood out.

There were maybe half a dozen guys with cans as well. We were all in the clubhouse and you went out to the line when it was your turn. It was COLD out (hovering around 0). The guy with the .338 LM had a ThunderBeast on his rifle and I didn't even notice he had gone out and shot until he came back in (there were no windows - it was a motorcycle gang clubhouse).

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
WTF is a 7.62x40?

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by entropy:
WTF is a 7.62x40?

Same as 300BLK, just a little longer case. It's formed from a cut-down .223 parent case.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Thanks offgrid for the links. That'll make it easier to figure weight for sure.

Interesting getting Kyle to machine for an AICS butt plate. Changing grips hasn't crossed my mind but I shoot open thumbed so never think about it. I may have to machine the bottom of the butt plate more angled and rounded to ride a bag better but don't know yet. I'll try it the way it is first.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by md-lucky:
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
md-lucky,

There's ten or 20 boxes of Berger 185's at a shop in Gt Falls. Too heavy for my 1-12 barrel on my .308 so I barely gave them a 2nd look. I'll check on them tomorrow. IF they are the hybrids I'll let you know.

FN in MT

Thank you!

I seem to be able to find a few different flavors of the 185s, but never the Hybrids. Frown

If they turn out to be the hybrids I would send you cash to get them headed my way the same day. Smile

Mike,

Just sent you an e mail....They HAVE them.

FN in MT

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
md-lucky,

There's ten or 20 boxes of Berger 185's at a shop in Gt Falls. Too heavy for my 1-12 barrel on my .308 so I barely gave them a 2nd look. I'll check on them tomorrow. IF they are the hybrids I'll let you know.

FN in MT

Thank you!

I seem to be able to find a few different flavors of the 185s, but never the Hybrids. Frown

If they turn out to be the hybrids I would send you cash to get them headed my way the same day. Smile

Mike,

FN in MT

Good deal.

I was watching this since I have a dozen or so boxes here. If they didn't have them, I would have offered to sell a box or two so you could at least see if your rifle likes them.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Interesting getting Kyle to machine for an AICS butt plate. Changing grips hasn't crossed my mind but I shoot open thumbed so never think about it. I may have to machine the bottom of the butt plate more angled and rounded to ride a bag better but don't know yet. I'll try it the way it is first.

The Magpul MOE-K2 grip arrived today. Immediately sawed off the rear lip to fit the XLR stock. Kind of fun hacking up something new! Prefer it over the standard angle AR grip. It feels closer to the AICS stock grip, which is all I know. Moves my hand just enough forward to get that preferred 90 degree bend on my trigger finger.

One of the times I was at Kyles shop, he had his F-Class 284 rifle there. That guy has a lot of rifles and shoots a ton. It had some sort of tube on the bottom of the rear butt stock for bag riding. I remember also seeing a picture of it on the SniperHide. Probably a simple thing to machine up.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This guys mod to his AI AW looks easy enough to whip up for a guy with some machining skills.

http://bulletin.accurateshoote...+evans&submit=Search

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Ordered the barrel a little bit ago. 6.5 Krieger 8 twist heavy palma 31" blank. Weighed the rifle tonight. The way it sits with bipod, sling, and Nightforce 5.5-22 it's 17.5lbs. This barrel is MTU so I may shed enough weight going to heavy palma and taking all the non necessities off. Worst case I may have to stick a Nightforce BR, Sightron, or March on it for this purpose to cut enough weight but I dont think I'll have to.

If I can add any weight back a tube type setup on the bottom of the butt stock piece would probably work good. Could even make it out of Delrin to make it lighter. Sure don't want to be competing with the Heavy Guns.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
quote:
This guys mod to his AI AW looks easy enough to whip up for a guy with some machining skills.

That looks pretty slick.

All Generalizations
Are False
Picture of md-lucky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
quote:
quote:
quote:
md-lucky,

FN in MT

Thank you!

Mike,

FN in MT

Good deal.

I was watching this since I have a dozen or so boxes here. If they didn't have them, I would have offered to sell a box or two so you could at least see if your rifle likes them.

Just another reason this forum is so dang amazing. Smile

Thanks guys!! FN and I were able to make contact and it sounds like I have 4 boxes headed my way.. I figured I'll know within 400 rounds if the rifle likes them or not... Big Grin

Thanks again!!!

"At best, the assault weapons ban can have only a limited effect on total gun murders, because the banned weapons and magazines were never involved in more than a modest fraction of all gun murders." Department of Justice study conducted by Jeffrey Roth and Christopher Koper

Posts: 2339 | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
quote:

The more I look at that the more I like it. May have to do something like that now on my Sentinel rifle. Another club closer by does 600 yard matches. May be another option using that gun there until I get the other back. I'll look around and see if I can find a single shot AICS mag.

posted Hide Post
Put 75rds on my newly barreled 6x47 today at a indoor 100yd range. Damn cold out, around zero. Nice to shoot inside! This 6x47 is shooting just as well as my first. 35.2 Varget/105 Hybrids jumped .020/CCI 400's/3050fps seems to be the ticket, manage a couple 1/4" five shot groups. Sorry left the targets at the range. Suppose to be sunny tomorrow, hopefully get some rounds down range at distance, guessing it will do just fine. Can see shooting this caliber for many years, it's a sweety.

The friend I shot with brought along his Magnetic Speed Chrono. I shot 6-5 shot groups w/o it, then shot through the chrono. It was interesting how much POI shift as well as the groups doubled in size with that little bit of weight hanging off the barrel. As a chrono it worked great, it was disappointing how it effected groups. My barrel is 26" medium palma, about .85 at the muzzle. Maybe a larger barrel diameter would behave differently? It's a great product, just wouldn't use while shooting groups. If I'm able to shoot tomorrow, will run some rounds through my CED chrono to compare. The CED has been spot on when entering its velocities into JBM, drop tracks within .1 MIL to 1000+ yds. My friend was shooting his 7SAUM/180 Hybrids with a Thunderbeast 338 suppressor, shot it a few times, very pleasant! Much softer/slower recoil compared to my braked 7SAUM.

Fun, productive day at the range!

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Cool this one's shooting as good as the last offgrid. Always wondered about that with the Magnetospeed.

Found a single shot mag for my Sentinel rifle and ordered it. Also picked up a used Shadetree coaxial rest. Talked to the guy that puts on the matches at length the other day about format. Going to try to get up there in a couple weeks and simulate a match and weigh my guns on the official scale. I'm close with both. May shoot the Sentinel first match while waiting on the other from Beanland. Light gun is 6 minute sighter period and 5 record shots after that. heavy gun is the same sighter with 10 record shots. Rank by score and group separately. Relay winners do a shoot off. Should be interesting.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Cool this one's shooting as good as the last offgrid. Always wondered about that with the Magnetospeed.

Found a single shot mag for my Sentinel rifle and ordered it. Also picked up a used Shadetree coaxial rest. Talked to the guy that puts on the matches at length the other day about format. Going to try to get up there in a couple weeks and simulate a match and weigh my guns on the official scale. I'm close with both. May shoot the Sentinel first match while waiting on the other from Beanland. Light gun is 6 minute sighter period and 5 record shots after that. heavy gun is the same sighter with 10 record shots. Rank by score and group separately. Relay winners do a shoot off. Should be interesting.

1000yds?

Suppose there's all kinds of strategy regarding those sighters and recording shots. Wait for the last minute to pound sighters before shooting for record, trying to shoot in the same wind....

Look forward to your match report.

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Yes 1000. Not sure I could compete with the Dashers at 600 but may try. I'll shoot some groups at 600 next time out and see where I'm at. Groups get pretty small at that distance to compete. Also the home range of the current world record holder. I think I have a better shot at being in the mix at 1000 right now even with the 25" barrel on the Sentinel rifle. Guy there seems eager to help me along also and I see he's won quite a few of the matches there so that won't hurt.

Yeah we talked strategy with the sighters a little. He shoots one or two shots the first couple minutes and then all the rest of the sighters the last minute. Says most do not wait on conditions and do it that way.

First match is in March so there is a little time to practice. It's cool they show an equipment list for each match. Looks like I'll be the only 6.5x47 there but he said if I could keep it at or under 6" I'd be in the mix, depending on conditions of course.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jelrod1,

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
New web app is out from Bryan Litz. Under Ballistics Resources is complete bullet data for a lot of popular bullets. Looks pretty sweet.

http://69.195.124.135/~appliem5/ballistics/

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
this thread should maybe be tacked,,,,,(sticky)

and what ever happened to nikonuser?,, thought he would be all over this thread,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Cool!

More copy paper!

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post