SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 280nosler:
Jelrod - the answer to the question is 2 levels of scotch blue painters tape and torqued to not more than 42 inch lbs, or 3 layers of tape torqued to 62 in lbs. We may be fine to try to epoxy 2 layers down for proper spacing.

Cool. Let me know if you end up needing to go the bedding route to space it. As long as the bolt hitting prematurely on the mag is not a problem I think what offgrid said will work.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All Generalizations
Are False
Picture of md-lucky
posted Hide Post
Dropped this off today at the smith...

New barrel will finish right around 31".

It's my FTR rifle so nothing terribly exciting as far as caliber goes - just a standard .308.

Hopefully will have it back in time to do a little load development before the 2014 season starts.

I've posted these before, but this is what it did during load development at 100 yards:

I've shot a 192-4x at 1k with the current setup. I think that was good enough for third or fourth in that match - it was regional and I think there were around 25 FTR shooters.

Couple range pics:

Looking at target area:

Back to target area from pits:

Hope to see you at the Missoula range if you decide to shoot high power FN in MT!

"At best, the assault weapons ban can have only a limited effect on total gun murders, because the banned weapons and magazines were never involved in more than a modest fraction of all gun murders." Department of Justice study conducted by Jeffrey Roth and Christopher Koper

Posts: 2339 | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Hope to see You at the Missoula Range....

I'd like to try some F-Class if that's what you are referring to.

I've even thought about joining the Range over at East Missoula simply for an opportunity to be able to shoot at a more WINDLESS range than here at home or Gt Falls. I waste more time setting up only to fight 10-15 mph winds.

Hoping the Gt Falls Range will get the LR Rifle area done this year. Annual Meeting is the 14th but I'll be at SHOT Show...So sending a few of the Wednesday afternoon steel shooters to the meeting to get some enthusiasm going for finishing that Range this year.

FN in MT

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FN in MT,

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by entropy:
I look at all that wide open range you guys have and get jealous. Not only being able to shoot, but the views are remarkable.

Ditto ... Our range has 100yards which is flat, but after that its the side of a hill; 200yds is up about 50 higher and 300yds is up about 125ft higher from the 100yd target ... and it's no easy task getting up there either, plus there is only 2 months of the year it's not muddy ... When its about 100 degrees.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
md-lucky, what bullet do you plan on shooting? I kind of see the two ends of bullet choices, fast 155's or slow/high BC wind bucking 185's.

A few things in the works for the 2014 season, which starts a week from Saturday I found out today.

Rifle recently chambered 6x47 by Jon Beanland, Bighorn action/AW mag cut, 26" Bartlein medium palma. Picked up the new/old action over a year ago on a local gun board classifieds. Has a smooth bolt compared to the fluted bolt on my other action and current Bighorn actions. Have just 15rds on the barrel, shows signs it will shoot just as well as my current 6x47. Will try to get a 100 or so rounds on it by next week. I'll be crunching to get it done, the new match was just announced today, can't pass it up, some positional shooting out to 1050yds! This time of year, no doubt the wind will be ripping, fun stuff! If I can't get some rounds on that new barrel, will shoot my 7SAUM/180 Hybrids. Just know I'll have a tough time hanging on to the sight picture in awkward positions, don't know how much that will hurt me, got to spot my shots to score well. Maybe the key with the 7SAUM, don't miss!!!

Received the XLR stock a month ago with the plan of a lighter rifle for shooting positional type steel matches. Should be right at 13.5lbs with a 24" medium palma. AICS/26" Medium palma weighs in at 17lbs. I've handled a couple rifles with the XLR stock/24" medium palma, balance is very nice. A couple things I changed on the stock. Had Kyle at XLR machine a plate so I could use a AICS rubber butt pad. The plate he machined allows movement up/down. I much prefer the taller AICS pad vs the short AR style pad. Also going to change the grip to a more vertical style, ordered a Magpul MOE-K2. If the Magpul doesn't fit my hand well, will make a grip from laminated walnut mimicking the AICS feel/size. XLR stocks are CNC'd for a 1-1 fit to the action, fits like a glove, very well machined.

The barreled action will go in the XLR stock. Have a Kreiger medium palma, 8 twist on its way to re-barrel it in another 6x47. Will be the 5th barrel on this action. Hopefully have the barreled action back by March.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FN in MT,

you noticed the wind flags at md-lucky's range seemed to be limp, what's up with that? You ever see flags like that at your range?!

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I noticed that offgrid.

I figure they were simply FROZEN to the poles.

Shot a couple of 1/4" groups at 100 yesteday with the 6.5 x 47 and 130 Berger VLD's. I'm quite happy that the DEFIANCE build is going to shoot. Dropping it off on Monday to get cerrakoted in Billiings. Hopefully done not long after I return from SHOT Show.

TO the LR shooters here...ANYTHING LR related you wish me to look at when I'm at SHOT Show in two weeks?

FN in MT

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All Generalizations
Are False
Picture of md-lucky
posted Hide Post
Funny Guys. Funny Guys here...

Usually at that range the first wind flag is straight down, the middle range flags are pointing straight right, and the flags near the pits are pointing straight left..

The wind constantly switches on you. I know at a lot of ranges you can dial a few minutes of wind and be good to go.. at this range you'll get 1 minute left, and by the time the next round gets there its switched to two minutes right.. Lots of fun. Smile

I shot Berger 175 LRBT over 44.5g Varget in Lapua brass with CCI Benchrest primers. This was in the 12 twist barrel that came factory from Savage. The new barrel is a 10 twist Broughton 5c, so I hope I can step up to a little heavier bullet.. namely the 185 Berger Hybrid. I just never seem to luck out and find them in stock. I have a few boxes left of the 175 LRBT that I will probably shoot for this season and make the switch when (if?) I ever find the 185 hybrids.

"At best, the assault weapons ban can have only a limited effect on total gun murders, because the banned weapons and magazines were never involved in more than a modest fraction of all gun murders." Department of Justice study conducted by Jeffrey Roth and Christopher Koper

The Constable
posted Hide Post
md-lucky,

There's ten or 20 boxes of Berger 185's at a shop in Gt Falls. Too heavy for my 1-12 barrel on my .308 so I barely gave them a 2nd look. I'll check on them tomorrow. IF they are the hybrids I'll let you know.

FN in MT

All Generalizations
Are False
Picture of md-lucky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
md-lucky,

There's ten or 20 boxes of Berger 185's at a shop in Gt Falls. Too heavy for my 1-12 barrel on my .308 so I barely gave them a 2nd look. I'll check on them tomorrow. IF they are the hybrids I'll let you know.

FN in MT

Thank you!

I seem to be able to find a few different flavors of the 185s, but never the Hybrids. Frown

If they turn out to be the hybrids I would send you cash to get them headed my way the same day. Smile

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
you noticed the wind flags at md-lucky's range seemed to be limp, what's up with that?

That's quite sad, really. But sometimes it happens to even the best of us.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Seems like everybody is working on something right now. I'm ordering another 6.5 8 twist Krieger for this one tomorrow to switch barrel with the 6br barrel and will send back off to Beanland when it gets here. I'm going to use the 6br for 300 yard F Class this year and going to replace the bipod with a XLR skid plate and try my hand at 1000 yard benchrest at my club with the new barrel. Not much long distance F Class around here and no steel shoots so at least it's something to compete in. I'll try it anyway.

Shot these today for the little Snipers Hide tournament. I was trying for six 5 shot groups under .250 but couldn't hang. First (smallest) has the cold clean bore.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What I see is how consistent your POI is on each 5 shot group. Your cheek weld, body position.....all has to be spot on to be that consistent. Nicely done jelrod1.

Going with a longer barrel for the Benchrest 6.5x47?

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
I shot in a 400 yard match today. I didn't do so well (don't ask), but the armorer/smith from the LGS that works on my rifles won it. He was shooting a .260 with a S&B 5-25 PMII on it and printed a 5-shot group of 1.081" at 400 yards. Second place put up 1.385".

There's another shoot in a month, I plan to do better at that one.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone using a scope level?

I started using a level last year. US Optics rail mount. If I'm holding 1.5-2.2 MILS for a 10-15mph wind at 1000yds and the reticle is canted .1-.2 MILS, that's probably a miss.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone using a scope level?

I started using a level last year. US Optics rail mount. If I'm holding 1.5-2.2 MILS for a 10-15mph wind at 1000yds and the reticle is canted .1-.2 MILS, that's probably a miss.

EVERYONE was using one.

Everyone but me, anyway.

I just ordered a USO BBL-300 (the folding one).

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
I shot in a 400 yard match today. I didn't do so well (don't ask), but the armorer/smith from the LGS that works on my rifles won it. He was shooting a .260 with a S&B 5-25 PMII on it and printed a 5-shot group of 1.081" at 400 yards. Second place put up 1.385".

What's the format of the match? Sighters? Prone/bench......?

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Free sighters. They had a bench set up. If your front rest was not attached to the rifle, you were required to leave it on the bench for everyone else to use. Rear bags were come/go with the rifle. You were free to throw out a mat and shoot prone, but the snow made it not possible today.

$10 to shoot a 5 shot group. Each rifle could be shot twice, and each shooter could shoot 2 rifles *IF* they owned them both. So, you bring 2 rifles, and 2 friends. You can shoot each of your rifles once, and each buddy can shoot one of your rifles (but not the same one).

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Going with a longer barrel for the Benchrest 6.5x47?

Yes. I forgot to weigh everything last night to decide on length and contour so I'll probably wait one more day before ordering. The Light Gun class limit is 17lbs. Probably get a 30 to 31" blank and finish as long as it can.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Free sighters. They had a bench set up. If your front rest was not attached to the rifle, you were required to leave it on the bench for everyone else to use. Rear bags were come/go with the rifle. You were free to throw out a mat and shoot prone, but the snow made it not possible today.

$10 to shoot a 5 shot group. Each rifle could be shot twice, and each shooter could shoot 2 rifles *IF* they owned them both. So, you bring 2 rifles, and 2 friends. You can shoot each of your rifles once, and each buddy can shoot one of your rifles (but not the same one).

Wide variety of calibers?

If I were shooting a match like that on a regular basis, a 6BR/105's would be my caliber of choice.