SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... 140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
6.5x47 was nice with the APA brake. Somewhat sharper pulse than the SAUM but pleasant. Thinking alternating strong side weak side may help minimize movement on the suspended platform "boat" at Woodys PRS match. Just a guess at this point but want to practice options.

Fritz, I didn't practice bipod legs down jammed but will give that a try.

Been using small and large Tab bags but may be time to invest in something a little larger. I just refuse to run around one of these events looking like the Michelin man though.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jelrod1:
I just refuse to run around one of these events looking like the Michelin man though.

I hear you. Where do you stop regarding how much stuff you bring to a match? I'm a minimalist, been using just one bag for matches for the last two years, Tactical Smooshie. When I first looked at pictures/videos of the Weibad Pump, thought it was silly, going too far... Now that I've used one practicing and used it on the stick stage/high kneeling at the last T3 match, cleaned that stage for the first time. I'll order one.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
It's not that I think one type bag is any more fair than another. I've just seen guys with 4 or more of them strapped on every possible contact point and that seems less than practical to me and is what I see myself refusing to do. Certainly hard to draw a line.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
When I first looked at pictures/videos of the Weibad Pump, thought it was silly, going too far... Now that I've used one practicing and used it on the stick stage/high kneeling at the last T3 match, cleaned that stage for the first time. I'll order one.

jelrod1 -- using the HArnold voice -- "Yah, offgrid vas pumped up. He vas huge. Vewy manly man."

So that stage currently has 5 round targets, allegedly in the 2.5-3.0 MOA range, set in relatively even increments from 297 to 679 yards. Sir offgrid kneeled on a medium bag, put the borrowed big bag under the elbow of his shooting hand, balanced the gun on two-legged shooting sticks, and proceeded to school us all. Five for frickin' five.

The rest of us had sturdy tripod and one small-ish bag. IIRC we all scored 2/5 hits. And there was virtually no wind. Red Face

I am now also considering getting "pumped up".

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fritz,

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fritz, I didn't practice bipod legs down jammed but will give that a try.

Much of that class was experimentation as anything. I really didn't shoot all that many rounds in four days, but I did a crap load of dry firing. With sturdy barriers, from kneeling to standing positions, I generally had my best stability by pressing firmly into the barrier -- preferably with bipod legs down, but with narrow windows I sometimes had to fold legs out of the way.

In low sitting positions (gun resting 20-24" above the ground) we found forward pressure on the barricade wasn't always possible -- especially for extended shooting. Here I found it better to have bipod legs down, legs on the far side of the barrier, and pulling the gun back towards me. I pointed my right knee straight up (RH shooter), put a small bag on the top of my right knee, and balanced the buttstock on my knee. Left hand was stretched forward to steady me against the barricade. Took me awhile to get comfy with the position, but it can work.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's not that I think one type bag is any more fair than another. I've just seen guys with 4 or more of them strapped on every possible contact point and that seems less than practical to me and is what I see myself refusing to do. Certainly hard to draw a line.

I've seen the guys with 4 or more bags as well, not practical for me either.

Another advantage I found to the Weibad Pump and my Tactical Smooshie rear bag cinched tight, helps me get into "sweet" spots. For example, at 6' tall a 22" high barricade is too low for me, resting the Pump or rear bag on the barricade, puts me right at my sweet spot. Those small height changes make a huge difference in how stable I can get. While practice last Saturday did have a small problem using my rear bag to get higher, pushed/dropped my bag on the otherside of the barricade, oops! Uh.. RO can we stop the clock! I keep my rear bag tethered to the right rear of my stock via 1" strap/HK hook, leave it tethered if shooting prone. Used that strap to keep the bag somewhat attatched to my rifle, that will solve that problem.

Something that has helped me with barricades is I use my body as a reference. Barricade just above knee height, perfect sitting, barricade crotch height/perfect low kneeling......

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:

The rest of us had sturdy tripod and one small-ish bag.

Scott just picked up a Manfrotto tripod, shot off of it with the pig or hog saddle on it Saturday. Sure is stable, I shot well standing with it. For me the knock is it's slow to adjust compared to my Stoney Point sticks. So much faster/easier to make small adjsutments with the Stoney Point sticks, lift/move one leg for small height adjustments..... Because the tripod is slower but more stable, Scott gets off 4 shots before running out of time to my not as stable 5 shots, which is better? Staying with my minimalist theme, I'll stay with the sticks.

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:
It is a push feed as you would expect any super-accurate action to be. None of this CRF crap wanted here.

Could you explain this to a newbie? Are push fed actions more accurate? Seems like a small difference to me.

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Good info fritz and offgrid. Gives me plenty to practice and ponder over. I need a bigger bag of some sort for sure for this stuff. Will look over the Weibad products.

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
What sticks are you guys using? Which Stoney Point are you using offgrid? Any opinions on the Primos trigger stick? Thought about a pig saddle for use with my Ashbury tripod but the trigger stick looks much faster.

Worked more with the barricade dry firing and then some unsupported. Bipod legs down jammed hard seemed to work much better. Doing that with a bag under too made it even better. Probably helping to get in that sweet spot offgrid spoke of. Ordered a couple more bags. The SAP run and gun that has a strap that can be looped over the scope if needed to try and a Weibad. Will be interesting to see the difference using them.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Shot the annual Hangover 400 yesterday.

Target ended up actually being at 425 yards.

The winner used a 260 to make a tiny .648" group. At 425 yards.

My showing was poor. They paid out 7 places, I was not anywhere near them.

But, I was not last. Big Grin

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yama Arashi
Picture of Uriah
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Are push fed actions more accurate? Seems like a small difference to me.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/controlled_push_feed.htm

Coffee cup ambush

Posts: 4340 | Location: Somewhere North of Here | Registered: April 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:

That sounds like a fun time. How many shots? Time limit?

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Competition was a single 5-shot group per rifle. Each shooter could bring and shoot a max of 2 rifles. Second place was the same guy, with another 260, at barely over an inch. 1.053 or some nonsense.

No time limit.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Uriah:
quote:
Are push fed actions more accurate? Seems like a small difference to me.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/controlled_push_feed.htm

Thanks for the link, explains it pretty well. I currently have an FN M70 variant, but picked up an AICS with viper skins for cheap during the assault-rifle-mageddon. It's waiting for a non-freedom group receiver to fall into my lap.

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:
It is a push feed as you would expect any super-accurate action to be. None of this CRF crap wanted here.

Could you explain this to a newbie? Are push fed actions more accurate? Seems like a small difference to me.

The issue with a CRF is that it's a more complicated bolt and it has to have a cutout underneath to allow the next cartridge to be captured by the bolt. You cannot chamber the cartridge and close the bolt if the cartridge is not captured by the bolt.

My F-class action has a small port through which I introduce the cartridge, at an angle no less, because the port is small and the cartridge is long. There is no cutout un the action where I can push the cartridge down so as to let a CRF type bolt capture the cartridge on closing. I would hate to have to fight with such an action for every shot while shooting prone. Some competitors like to push their cartridge into the chamber and then close the bolt. I usually just place the cartridge in the action and then when I decide it's time to shoot, I close the bolt and shoot. I hate to let the cartridge cook in the chamber if I'm not ready to go. This is especially true when I'm shooting team. When the wind coach says "shooter ready?" I close the bolt and respond "Ready," or he hears me close the bolt and he knows I'm ready.

Also the bolt face on my F-TR action is very simple; it's flat and round with just the firing pin hole in it. The rim goes all around the cartridge, there is not difference. A CRF bolt is much more complicate and it has a whole section that does not support the cartridge, This does not lead to enhanced precision.

In competition, where every little thing adds up, that's just something that I don't want.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: NikonUser,

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
What sticks are you guys using? Which Stoney Point are you using offgrid? Any opinions on the Primos trigger stick? Thought about a pig saddle for use with my Ashbury tripod but the trigger stick looks much faster.

Worked more with the barricade dry firing and then some unsupported. Bipod legs down jammed hard seemed to work much better. Doing that with a bag under too made it even better. Probably helping to get in that sweet spot offgrid spoke of. Ordered a couple more bags. The SAP run and gun that has a strap that can be looped over the scope if needed to try and a Weibad. Will be interesting to see the difference using them.

Using these sticks, previously labeled Stoney Point.

http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...bipod-shooting-stick

I've shot off the Primos trigger tri-pod sticks. Very fast to adjust. Pay for that speed in a slightly wobbly head. A fellow match shooter has his RF binos mounted to the head of the Primos trigger tripod and a Eberlestock shooting rest strapped to the top of the binos, one way to go about it.

Did you order the Weibad Pump?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:

And you beat everyone sitting on their butts at home!

First steel match I shot didn't do so good, don't remember where I placed/score, I didn't have a clue what I was doing. I now have the high score on the 600yd range at the same match with a 6x47. Big Grin

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes. Went back and forth with it and the Tac Pack but figured I'd see what all the fuss is about.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yes.

Yah. You vill be huge vith pumpitude. Strong, like bull. Zah other vimpy shooters vill run from your huge match scores, vhimpering like dainty girliemahn poodle shooters. You vill crush zem, just like you vould with your mahnly bulging biceps. Yah.

Seriously, I may have to break down with the credit card myself.