SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... 140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
What the heck...sure!

Have to look it up on the the forum. Where's it at?? CO?

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by entropy:
What the heck...sure!

Have to look it up on the the forum. Where's it at?? CO?

Awesome!

Weldona, Colorado. About a hour east of Denver.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Yea, looked it up last night. Not far south of 80/Cheyenne/*Sidney*/etc, right off 76.

Ive done my house to Gering roundtrip in a day....or so.

"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
I would be interested in those drills, offgrid.

Also, entropy - I had the dates wrong. It's may 22-24, friday/sat/sun.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
No problem on the dates...my sked gets bit the month before.

Offgrid, yes please include me on the drills as well.

posted Hide Post
Most of the stages will be similiar in how we start. Everyone as a group will be allowed to find all the targets, with binos... I'll try to make mental references to land marks, will look at the targets in order 1,2... several times looking through my binos and with my naked eye if possible. You're up, go to the firing spot, start standing with your rifle, rear bag..., you'll get permision to load a mag, safety on. Go, time starts. Plop down and shoot, don't miss Big Grin

I prep the same way for every stage. Scope caps off (I leave them in my vehicle), elevation dialed for the first target, scope magnification 14-16X (get a cat-tail for your scope mag ring, with my cat tail at 12:00 know I'm at 14-16X,), paralax roughly set. Visualize my postion, adjust bi-pod height and how tight to cinch my rear bag based on the shooting position/target angle. As I'm standing waiting for permission to load, focus on the first target location, looking at the wind/committing to a wind hold. Drop my rear bag in a proper orientaion, place my rifle down pointing at the first target, take a step back aligning myself focusing on the location of the first target. High percentage of the time able to drop down be right on the target. Usually I can get off the first shot in 15 seconds or less from standing. Get done shooting, load mag, dial elevation for first target on the next stage if have that info, roughly set the paralax, set magnification to 14-16X. While waiting my turn to shoot, studying the wind.

I dry fire with my comp rifle and live fire with the 22LR for the above a lot. Pick a random point on our land, drop down dry fire, get up, another random spot...... or not get up and shoot another spot. Dry firing at two different fixed points, will randomly pick a distance for the 2nd target, look at my dope, dial and hold a corresponding wind value. Very unlikely we'll be holding center at any target at the Cup. I've done this enough since recently chambering a 6.5x47, just about have my dope memorized. With the 22LR have two 1/2" dot drill targets at 50yds about 30yds apart, drop down fire, re-position fire. Sometimes I'll shoot from two spots, bolt open when I move, not closing it until I'm on target. If you guys only have access to a 100yd range, do a 20 shot 1" dot drill, plop down, one shot, pick up your rifle/rear bag, get up move around, repeat...... Getting up and down is going to do a few things, get accustom to dropping down/aligning your rifle as well as seeing how well you keep a consitent cheek weld, not as easy as it sounds. Do not shoot groups, dot drill only, goal is to hit the dot/target, not shoot a nice group, it's a different mind set. If you can set up two 100yds targets that have some distance between them even better. Focus on making slight adjustments to get yourself re-aligned/straight behind the rifle for the 2nd shot, get up, repeat.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Got to get back to doing dot drills myself. Nice tips offgrid. What are the guys out there using for mag carriers for matches that require it? That last big match I went to showed me I need something. Was thinking one of the Tacos.

Chambered another 6.5 SAUM barrel for my Sentinel rifle. Brux 8.5 twist. Finished 26" plus brake. Wanted to try out a new chamber flush system on my lathe. Came out nice. Sure like the flush. 140 hybrids are shooting very well at 3120 testing today. Several bughole groups and shooting well but I think this load is just into a node. Going to go up a little and see how it does tomorrow just because. Only have 81 rounds through it so far. Barrel should speed up some with a few more rounds. That and a bump in charge weight should get me ending up right at 3200 with the hybrids.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.triadtactical.com/...tion-Mag-Pouch..html

I've only shot a few matches needing a mag change during a stage, last weekend in Wyoming was one of them. For that stage shooting in house/box through ports, tossed the extra mag on the ground where I knew I would need the change. Other than that match, extra mag is in my right back pocket. Ya I know not very tacti-cool! Will only use AICS mags when making a change, I've had rounds pop out of the AW mags if handle too agressively. Start with a AW, switch to a AICS. 6.5x47 action is not AW cut, 6x47 action is.

Feel any difference machining the Brux steel vs the other barrels you've chambered? The Brux barrel that was on my 7SAUM sure shot nice. What contour did you go with?

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
The Brux machined just like the other 4 groove Kriegers I've done. I do prefer 4 over 5 but neither are bad. Used a M24 that SPR had so I didn't have to wait. Would rather it had been a HP to cut some weight.

Thanks for the link. I've used my pocket with the 6.5x47 but may need something with the SAUM and the 3 rounders. Do need to get some 7 rounders though. Just don't like all that sticking out for certain stages.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
exx1976 and entropy,

you'll most likely be hearing different wind hold lingo at the Cup. I know this isn't the proper way to describe it.

Wind coming from 1-2:00 at 10mph. Hear that as a 5mph hold. It's a very easy/fast to communicate with each other this way. Look at your dope card, hold for a 5mph wind. Another you'll hear, 17 on the leading edge. Wind L-R, 17 on the left edge.

I often hold the edge of a plate. Sometimes easier for me to aim at a defined vertical line/edge opposed to bracketing a square or round blob.

posted Hide Post
exx1976 and entropy (again)
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
exx1976 and entropy,

you'll most likely be hearing different wind hold lingo at the Cup. I know this isn't the proper way to describe it.

Wind coming from 1-2:00 at 10mph. Hear that as a 5mph hold. It's a very easy/fast to communicate with each other this way. Look at your dope card, hold for a 5mph wind. Another you'll hear, 17 on the leading edge. Wind L-R, 17 on the left edge.

I often hold the edge of a plate. Sometimes easier for me to aim at a defined vertical line/edge opposed to bracketing a square or round blob.

I haven't shot the Cup, but the above is also used at T3 Ranch matches -- which was this past year's Cup location. In my first match with offgrid I heard "7 mph wind hold". To which I replied, "OK, but what wind value?"

<< crickets >>

Anyway, I am now comfy with thinking of wind that way, and it does make sense when communicating effective wind holds to each other.

Offgrid is good at edge of plate holds. I think more in center of target holds, in part because my Nightforce F1 reticle works well with center of plate holds for me.

Posts: 7871 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Did the last of my testing with this new Brux barrel in 6.5 SAUM today. Bughole precision node with Norma brass/H1000/140 berger hybrid/3110 with 11 ES in new processed brass. With Rem brass I was able to reach the next node at 3225 in this barrel. Would love to stay there but with the 3150 speed limit in the comps will have to work with the other though. Shouldn't be a slouch either way.

Taking it next weekend to make up a drop chart from 200 to 1000 and hope to make a Jan match in VA with it to see how it handles. Really liking this round so far.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jelrod1:

Shouldn't be a slouch either way.

No doubt.

How many rounds on the barrel now?

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Have near 170 on it. Barrel never has sped up unless it was early on. I'll take 120 or so more with me next weekend and if it doesn't speed up with them I don't think its going to. Spent over half the time messing with the 130's. Although great at nearly 3300 in the Rem brass it's just too fast to consider for the competitions so I shouldn't have fooled with it. Will be an awesome hunting load though.

posted Hide Post
Last month I bought a couple more steel plates, so today I tried to work out some new target locations. The goal was to be able to fire at 3 to 5 target distances from my major two prone shooting locations.

Lesson #1 -- What is visible while standing may not be visible from prone.

Lesson #2 -- When you've dealt with Lesson #1, Mother Nature will perfectly position large yucca plants between rifle and targets.

So, it looks like I get to dig some yucca plants. I recall grampa removing them by wrapping a chain around the base and yanking the whole plant out with the John Deere tractor. Digging sounds like it's going to be more work....

On a more positive note, I picked up the "Last Stand" brackets, that with 6 pieces of 1/2" rebar produce a portable and adjustable steel target holder. Mongo like. Going forward, I'm going to use the "Last Stand" to determine target location viability prior to sinking steel fence T-posts. Red Face

Posts: 7871 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
May I suggest Tannerite?

You could confirm zero and take care of the issue simultaneously. Big Grin

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
May I suggest Tannerite?

You could confirm zero and take care of the issue simultaneously. Big Grin

In for the most generous karlma!

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
May I suggest Tannerite?

That's a concept, but we need a little snow on the dry prairie grass first. Just after lunch my Kestrel indicated 3% humidity and -14 F dewpoint.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
-14f dew point? I don't think I've ever seen anything like that. Wow. Lol

The Constable
posted Hide Post
I fought the yuccas for years here. Seemed if I cut out a patch of 20 and 25 would reappear the next year. Finally bought some REMEDY. Mix 15% REMEDY to 85% fuel oil or vegetable oil or diesel and SOAK the bulb at the base of the plant during the growing season. And I mean SOAK.
I wiped out 90% of my Yucca Glauca, Small Soapweed Yucca...the first application. So far NO regrowth.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FN in MT,

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post