SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... 140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
Fritz/offgrid - that's an interesting observation. I've never considered that. I think I would give up the additional tenth of a second for the comfort of being able to communicate with fellow shooters without yelling.

Also, since most of your guys shoot at DISTANCE, I wouldn't expect that the .1 of a second would make a huge difference in getting back on target to see your hits at 600 or greater....

First of all, those impact observations are optimal results for me. When the stars are aligned, the tides are favorable, and my head isn't firmly implanted in my backside. I rarely get the same results with unstable or rushed positions.

The advantage of getting sights back on target so quickly is you can call your own shots faster (and sometimes better) than your spotter. This occurred a number of times in our last match, where the crosswinds were blowing enough to confuse the spotter on whether dirt impacts were left or right of the target. Generally, I could better tell through my scope, because I knew where I broke the shot and sometime could see my own trace.

Getting the scope back on target quickly allows me to see my own trace, assuming atmospheric conditions allow. I struggle seeing my own trace in Colorado's dry air, but when the dew points are up, it's a thing of beauty to see your own bullets arc downrange. And seeing your own trace tells you gobs about wind.

As for our distances, I can only speak for the T3 Ranch tourney. As it's set up now, by station:
#1 - 1131 to 1353 yards
#2 - 310 to 549
#3 - 298 to 502
#4 - 351 to 462
#5 - 325 to 504
#6 - 531 (the #%@&* mover)
#7 - 435 to 717
#8 - 287 to 593
#9 - 297 to 679
#10 - 479 to 801

The close targets are pretty small, say in the 1.5 MOA range. They are challenge on windy days. The shooter really needs to see his own impacts to score well in this venue.

Posts: 7866 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Recently chamber a 6.5x47 with a LEFT twist Chanlynn barrel. Interesting to see how the left vs right changes things a bit. Have fun ballistic number junkies!

Don't know why Chanlynn does a left twist? This barrel shoots so freakin well, if he told me to run a patch of baby poop down the barrel I would.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
...if he told me to run a patch of baby poop down the barrel I would.

<< note to self -- remain upwind of offgrid's rifle >>

Posts: 7866 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Look forward to trying out a left twist Chanlynn barrel when it gets here. Hey, you shouldn't shoot that one loose Smile

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shot a new PRS style steel match in NE Wyoming on Saturday. The match director had shot in these types of matches, his goal is to introduce new shooters to this type of match, give them place to shoot, learn from each other. Of the 37 shooters, about half had shot several matches prior, good shooters traveled from Colorado, South Dakota and Montana. One of the guys was gunsmith Chad Dixon of LongRifles Inc from Sturgis. Had a drawing after the match, Chad generously donated a bunch of gunsmith service, one of which was anyone at the match could get a free bolt fluting, cool to see that. The match director had us experienced guys squad up with the new guys. One of the guys in my squad borrowed a friend’s scope for the match, another shooting his 300WM pencil barrel hunting rifle, good stuff! Some nervous chatter between the new guys on our way to the first stage, by the end of the match we were all buds. It was fun for me answering any questions they had about all things related to LR shooting, giving them tips… It was funny when one of them asked about my caliber, bullet, and velocity. Why you shooting such a slow caliber? Ah, we’ll see!

Tough wind conditions, held anywhere between 5-25mph. Snow covered ground. Temp was 35 degrees at start, 45 by the end. As it warmed up, turned into a muddy mess. Dirtiest my rifle and I have gotten in a match, have to admit the kid in me didn't mind. Targets were from 126yds (off hand shot) to 1360yds. Half the stages were flat prone, others off of barricades, awkward prone…..Overcast skies made it a little difficult to find targets. Shot most of the match between 14-17 magnification except a Know Your Limits stage, 22X. A Colorado shooter who I’ve shot with many times ran away with the match. I shot well, blew one barricade stage that took me out of contention, showed me where I need to practice, finished tied for 6th. It was fun day shooting with the new guys, seeing their enthusiasm, helping them out.

Very happy with how my 6.5x47/Berger 130 VLD load is shooting.

If any of you guys are on the fence about shooting a match like this for the first time, do it. I firmly believe you’ll learn more shooting 60rds in a match then 600rds at a range.

My filthy rifle.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shot a new PRS style steel match in NE Wyoming on Saturday.

Sounds like you shot in a good match. And in manly conditions -- not a t-shirt and flip-flops kind of day.

How do you feel that match compares to T3 Ranch.

Barricades do provide a challenge or two. I think I've assembled all the lumber and plywood I need for my barricade build -- I just need to finalize the design and put it all together.

Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a bunch of fun right there. Perhaps in the spring...

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by entropy:

I'm thinking the same thing... Carpool?

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Absofookinlootly.

Looking at a class out in the Bay Area to get some official type learnin' as well. That would work great for me as Im out there already for work. Believe it or not...never had to check a gun in baggage. Need to familiarize myself with that whole process. Id be road tripping it to anything this side of the Rockies however.

"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Absofookinlootly.

Looking at a class out in the Bay Area to get some official type learnin' as well. That would work great for me as Im out there already for work. Believe it or not...never had to check a gun in baggage. Need to familiarize myself with that whole process. Id be road tripping it to anything this side of the Rockies however.

We'll figure it out in spring. I'll drive down by you and carpool from there. Need to get my new rifle and do load development first, so may/June would work.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looking at a class out in the Bay Area to get some official type learnin' as well.

..never had to check a gun in baggage. Need to familiarize myself with that whole process.

Rifles Only has held courses at the Sac Valley Shooting Center. I seem to recall somewhere in the Sep/Oct time frame.

I have checked rifles on flights with Southwest and United. Neither airline was a big deal. Place the gun(s) in a lockable hard-sided case. You fill out a form or two during baggage check in. Allow for a little extra time for the whole process, as you gun(s) will be x-ray and hand inspected. Review individual airlines' websites for rules, especially if you're shipping ammo with the gun(s).

As long they're not busy (say a bunch of people are coming up behind me), the guys inspecting my rifles almost always ask me friendly questions. And not official questions, either. Are you hunting, competing, practicing? How do you like this rifle compared to others you've shot? The guys at the San Antonio, Texas, gun inspection area are definitely shooters themselves. One time I flew through there just after the national sporting clays competition -- those guys seemed to be in hog heaven checking out all the fancy shotguns.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:

How do you feel that match compares to T3 Ranch.

Barricades do provide a challenge or two. I think I've assembled all the lumber and plywood I need for my barricade build -- I just need to finalize the design and put it all together.

Very simliar terrain to T3. Valleys and draws a little narrower. Just like T3 had to be aware of how the terrain effects the wind flow/speed.

Had two barricade like stages. First one I hammered, 6 ports in a very large plywood box, 2 low L-R (high Prone), 2 sitting L-R, 2 kneeling L-R, got off 12 shots in 2 minutes, one miss. The key for me was the fit, perfect high prone, sitting, kneeling w/o hardly any muscle strain. 2nd barricade, every position was a in between for me, kneeling too short, sitting too short, prone too high..... I scored 5pts on that stage, winner scored 15pts, he beat me by 10pts over all. Suggest making your barricade from about 8" off the ground (or whatever is just over your bi-pod height) to 48" with steps every 4-6", certainly you'll find some in betweens to make things challenging.

posted Hide Post
exx1976, entropy,

not sure when the next match will be. Maybe another in May? Two day match a couple months later?

Know it's a long haul for you guys. This match at the NRA Whittington Center in Raton is a good one. Whittington center has camping, cabins, dorm style rooms, great facility. I try to shoot every match.

http://sportingriflematch.com/

If you two are interested in shooting a team match together here's one I plan on shooting.

http://www.macsgunworks.com/Pages/Macs.aspx

Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Offgrid,

Appreciate the heads up and insight. Spring is good.

Have a co worker that shoots LR out by SAC somewhere. Bay Area for me is good, SOCAL even better. I got wheels out there.

Bringing a long gun on a flight for me presents...well issues. I need to preplan that end of it and make a few inquiries.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Suggest making your barricade from about 8" off the ground (or whatever is just over your bi-pod height) to 48" with steps every 4-6", certainly you'll find some in betweens to make things challenging.

Good advice. Preliminary sketches have step-type positions on top of the barricade at 22", 32", 42", and 52" high. Plus two interior 8" wide by 10" tall windows, with rifle rest heights of 17" and 27". I suppose I could add a third window with a rifle rest height of 12" without much difficulty.

Much of the barricade will be made from left over wood parts. A sandwich of 3/8" plywood will laid over an internal frame of 2x2's. The barricade face will be 48" wide.

The legs will be triangles of 3/4" plywood (4' at base, angled up to a 20" (-ish) height to attach to the barricade face. I will buy 4" or 5" 90-degree brackets to secure the legs to the barricade face. Leg to barricade face attachment will be with bolts, so I can take the unit down for transport and storage.

posted Hide Post
Any of you guys interested in shooting a PRS match, suggest this one. High percentage prone shooting in a natural setting, a little more geared towards hunting.

http://www.precisionrifleserie...leman-s-roundup.html

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Linkie no workie...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Linkie no workie...

Sometime between when I posted the link and when you click on it the Cross C Ranch match was postponed until 2016.

http://www.precisionrifleserie...ch-dates-settle.html

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Nice. I see the Snipers hide cup is listed on the events page. May 24-26. That sounds like a good time of year. I think I might make that my first match unless anyone has any better ideas, or reasons why I shouldn't...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Nice. I see the Snipers hide cup is listed on the events page. May 24-26. That sounds like a good time of year. I think I might make that my first match unless anyone has any better ideas, or reasons why I shouldn't...

You'll have a blast! How about any of you other guys? entropy, last years Sniper Cup the high 308 won a $5000 GAP rifle!

If you like, can give you some drills to work on.