SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... 140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Offgrid,

Sorry...I have been too busy to keep up here. Big Man Cave/Bunker refurbish the past few weeks. Also finishing up outside work while we have Indian summer weather out here.

You are going to like the 6.5 x 47. I'm interested to hear your thoughts after a few hundred rds down the tube.

FN in MT

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shot the 6BR and 6.5x47 yesterday on a range outside of Gillette, Wy. Lots of steel, fun place to shoot. Got good dope on both rifles, shot the 6BR out to 900yds, 6.5x47 to 1200yds. 6BR tracking 2870/29.5/4895/105 Hybrids, 6.5x47 tracking 2785/37.3/Varget/140 Hybrids. I might back off the 6.5x47 load a little.

The 6BR has raised the bar for accuarcy. It's by far the most accurate I've shot, holds vertical extremely well. Happy with how the 6.5x47 is shooting, but it was over shadowed by the 6BR. Comparing the 6.5x47 to my 6x47, right now give the edge to the 6x47.

I've posted this before. I know some of you guys are just punching paper with your factory R700's in what ever caliber. If thinking about making a change, consider having your firing pin bushed for a small pin, true your action and chamber a 6BR. Ya, a 6BR is not sexy or tacti-cool, but it's silly accuarate, easy to tune, uses just 29.5-30.5 grains of powder, good barrel life and a joy to shoot.

Couple crappy cell phone pictures of the range/6BR. Targets follow the road to 1200yds, there's targets off to the left at the end of the road out to 2250.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I look forward to hearing your comparisons over time of 6BR to your other chamberings, especially the 6x47.

Do you think the single loading 6BR can be competitive to 6x47 in matches? For example, in some of the T3 Match stations we completed the 5 shots with 1.0 to 1.5 minutes left on the clock. But time is a bit more critical on #10 (the shack), and the two stations where we move shooting positions (the 6-shot prone/rock-bench station and the 5-shot station with the culvert shots).

I don't see how single loading would work at all on the mover station. With the now tighter shooting window, we all were struggling to get more than 8 of our allowed 10 shots off in the four passes.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would not shoot a single shot at T3, too slow on the stages you mentioned.

I put together the 6BR to shoot square range steel matches (CRC and Pueblo West) and maybe next season shoot a couple 600yd F-Class matches with the old geezers at CRC Big Grin

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, makes sense. What's your expectations for barrel life with the 6BR versus the 6x47?

quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
...with the old geezers at CRC Big Grin

Careful, neither one of us exactly has "spring chicken" eyesight anymore.

"Old Geezer" -- in a month or so, the teenagers training with Team Summit at Copper & Breckenridge will begin throwing those barbs at me when we share ski racing courses.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
What's your expectations for barrel life with the 6BR versus the 6x47?

Lots of things factor into barrel life, how hot the barrel gets, load.....

Only know one person who shot out a 6BR, 38XXrds. He shoots CRC also, 16rds in about 8 minutes. Hoping for 3500+ rds.

Pulled my two 6x47 barrels at 2200rds. Shooting what I think is a sensible load, 105 Hybrid @ 3000-3050.

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
What are some "tactical" stock options for pre-64 M70 actions (actually a FN PBR XP)? I finally found it a real scope, so a stock will be next in it's future. So far the Manners T4 and McMillan A5 interest me.

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Manners T4 and McMillan A5 are great choices. Suggest getting either with an adjustable cheek rest and length of pull.

If you can't get behind either stock, Manners will send you a sample stock to try.

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Ordered a pair of these today from Manners for a couple long range hunting guns coming up. One for me and one for a buddy. Got the adjustable cheek and mini chassis versions. Mine will be on a Remington 700 and his on a Tikka. Both will be 6.5 SAUM. Couldn't do the chassis for the Tikka. 100% carbon fiber Elite Tactical shell on both. Mine in GAP camo and his in Forest. Should be fun builds.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sacox31s
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jelrod1:
Ordered a pair of these today from Manners for a couple long range hunting guns coming up. One for me and one for a buddy. Got the adjustable cheek and mini chassis versions. Mine will be on a Remington 700 and his on a Tikka. Both will be 6.5 SAUM. Couldn't do the chassis for the Tikka. 100% carbon fiber Elite Tactical shell on both. Mine in GAP camo and his in Forest. Should be fun builds.

I just got the Manners Elite Hunter in Black Forest. I didn't get the chassis version, but it does have aluminum pillars.

The barreled action is a Rem 700 in 308 with a Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 BRH scope.

The 308 should have the range and terminal ballistics required for Texas game.

Posts: 397 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: October 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
That should be a nice setup. Which hunter stock model did you get? These were the MCS-TA .308 is plenty enough here too, the 6.5 SAUM is just a fun cartridge. These will mainly be for taking out hogs at longer distances. Hoping to find a Premier light tactical for mine. Think he'll end up going with a March.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sacox31s
posted Hide Post
quote:
That should be a nice setup. Which hunter stock model did you get? These were the MCS-TA .308 is plenty enough here too, the 6.5 SAUM is just a fun cartridge. These will mainly be for taking out hogs at longer distances. Hoping to find a Premier light tactical for mine. Think he'll end up going with a March.

I got the Elite Hunter 3 stock. The rifle will be used for Texas white tail and hogs.

I chose the Swarovski scope because it is one of the few hunting scopes with capped turrets that uses mils for the reticle.

My scope requirements were wide field-of-view, capped turrets, mils on the reticle, quality glass, light weight, and under $1,000

Posts: 397 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: October 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Mini chassis is bolt in and the regular requires bedding, correct?

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:

Yes

Picture of sacox31s
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yes

I bedded mine. Once it cures I'll see how the setup performs.

I have two hunting hand loads to go with it, Nosler 165gr Ballistic Tip and Sierra GK 180gr with R15.

I am curious to see at what distances I'll end up being comfortable with in a supported position. Shooting long range out in the field while hunting that will be another story. But I hope to get comfortable to 600 yards supported. Its a light gun without turrets, but I have 5.5 mils on the reticle in 0.5 mil increments.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Specs on the rifles, barrel contour/length, predicted weight...

It's great you and your buddy will be shooting the same caliber cut with the same reamer. Same friend you're building the 6.5x47 for?

Going over the PRS schedule with a fellow Colorado shooter last night, he's shooting Woody's in March. His sister lives in Raleigh, I'm leaning towards joining him.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sacox31s:
quote:
quote:

Yes

I bedded mine. Once it cures I'll see how the setup performs.

I have two hunting hand loads to go with it, Nosler 165gr Ballistic Tip and Sierra GK 180gr with R15.

I am curious to see at what distances I'll end up being comfortable with in a supported position. Shooting long range out in the field while hunting that will be another story. But I hope to get comfortable to 600 yards supported. Its a light gun without turrets, but I have 5.5 mils on the reticle in 0.5 mil increments.

Bed it yourself?

posted Hide Post
fritz,

pick up some shooting sticks?

My plan at the next T3 match, stage 9 is to shoot standing, sticks, cuff sling. Since that last target is ONLY 679, easy peasy right?! Tweeked my load on the 6.5x47, it's humming now, chomping at the bit to shoot it in a match. Hope to see you there.

posted Hide Post
offgrid -- not yet. Looking at the Bogpod shooting sticks. They seem a little more sturdy than other brands. And yes, I intend to shoot stage 9 with sling in addition to the sticks.

679 yards at a 2-to-3 MOA target, standing/crouching with sticks, in switching crosswinds with little vegetation to confirm wind, shooting across a valley. Yep, easy as can be. If we were real manly men, we would do it one handed with a Glock 17, held homie-style. Or a pink camo Hello Kitty 10/22 off-hand.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
in switching crosswinds with little vegetation to confirm wind, shooting across a valley. Yep, easy as can be.

Bogpog is what I'll be using. The head is a little wobbly, but I like how fast they adjust to uneven terrain.

See this, good read.

T3 is the toughest place I've shot for judging wind, terrain effect..... Getting first round hits on the 1150-1353yd stage, no doubt a little luck comes into play with our BB guns. Sure is fun.

http://snipershide.scout.com/f...ing-elr-ranges?s=541