SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 ... 126 127 128 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swage:
I have an old box of Hornady 140 ELD ammunition. They used to list reloading data on the box to replicate factory loads. My box lists 41.5 gr Hogdon 4350 with FGMM LRP loaded to 2.81 OAL.

My custom load for my 6.5CM is 42.3 Hogdon 4350 FGMM LRP loaded to 2.83 OAL. For some reason in my rifle likes about .070-.080 jump. I don't care what the groups are at 100 yards. I test all my hand loads 600 yards and I get the least amount of vertical with that load.

Wow.

I would not want to be shooting near you as you are way over max for a 140gr bullet. The Hodgdon website shows that 40.0 gr of H4350 is max load at 59,200PSI for the 140 A-Max, which is the same length as the ELD (and probably very similar in shape.) It also shows this to be a compressed load so you're really crunching kernels of powder when you add 2.3 more grains of powder. I never liked compressed loads, especially ones that are so overly compressed like yours. The powder kernels can get bruised and broken and that can change their burn characteristics.

Posts: 2993 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:
quote:
I have an old box of Hornady 140 ELD ammunition. They used to list reloading data on the box to replicate factory loads. My box lists 41.5 gr Hogdon 4350 with FGMM LRP loaded to 2.81 OAL.

My custom load for my 6.5CM is 42.3 Hogdon 4350 FGMM LRP loaded to 2.83 OAL. For some reason in my rifle likes about .070-.080 jump. I don't care what the groups are at 100 yards. I test all my hand loads 600 yards and I get the least amount of vertical with that load.

Wow.

I would not want to be shooting near you as you are way over max for a 140gr bullet. The Hodgdon website shows that 40.0 gr of H4350 is max load at 59,200PSI for the 140 A-Max, which is the same length as the ELD (and probably very similar in shape.) It also shows this to be a compressed load so you're really crunching kernels of powder when you add 2.3 more grains of powder. I never liked compressed loads, especially ones that are so overly compressed like yours. The powder kernels can get bruised and broken and that can change their burn characteristics.

I'm unsure who writes those reloading manuals, but in ten years experience reloading I've found them to be on the conservative side. My load is no where near compressed, even when loading to mag length. It's nowhere close to being a "hot load" at 2800-ish FPS. No signs of pressure. No flattened primers or ejector swipe. No sticky bolt lift. If I had a way of uploading the picture off the box I would. I let the rifle tell me what it likes. Hornady's newest version has the 135 A tips and shows a max load of 42.9 of H4350. There's lots of load sharing data on the web for the 6.5CM using H4350 and the 140ELD. Most end up between 41.5 and slightly above 42 grains. Your numbers sound more like the 6.5x47 Lapua.

Posts: 1809 | Location: Ohio | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Similar thoughts... Loading manuals and data have always seemed to be written by the lawyers. Got to limit that liability.

I'm using a 6.5 Creedmore load for 140gr ELDs. 43gr Hodgon H4350 with Federal 210M Primers. It Chronos around 2760 and is very accurate. It does not appear to be or feel like a compressed load during seating.

There are NO signs of increased pressure - easy bolt lift, primers are fine, no ejector swipe, and tight primer pockets.

I'm sure others will disagree, but a careful and observant reloader can exceed published data with caution. The rifle and materials can dictate acceptable loads.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 608 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Cid 92:
I'm sure others will disagree, but a careful and observant reloader can exceed published data with caution.

Exactly.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Now an FFL licensee, working on SIGs and other assorted firearms. My email is in my profile.

Posts: 8421 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm unsure who writes those reloading manuals, but in ten years experience reloading I've found them to be on the conservative side. My load is no where near compressed, even when loading to mag length. It's nowhere close to being a "hot load" at 2800-ish FPS. No signs of pressure. No flattened primers or ejector swipe. No sticky bolt lift. If I had a way of uploading the picture off the box I would. I let the rifle tell me what it likes. Hornady's newest version has the 135 A tips and shows a max load of 42.9 of H4350. There's lots of load sharing data on the web for the 6.5CM using H4350 and the 140ELD. Most end up between 41.5 and slightly above 42 grains. Your numbers sound more like the 6.5x47 Lapua.

When it comes to picking loads, I always refer to the powder manufacturer's loading data, at the exclusion of other sources. I have found the Hodgdon website to be much less conservative than most other load sources, especially the ones from bullet manufacturers.

That said, I know nothing about handloading for the 6.5CM; I'm pretty much a .308 and .223 match handloader along with a rather long list of pistol/handgun calibers as well.

The issue is that Hodgdon shows the max load to be at 59,200 PSI. SAAMI max is 62,000PSI. Adding a couple more grains of powder over Hodgdon max will crank up the pressure quite a bit, buch more than the 2,000 PSI left to SAAMI max. So unless you have the means to measure the pressure of your load, such as a transducer, I would take it for granted that it is a lot higher than SAAMI max.

As I've said many times in the past, the signs of pressure that you are looking at are actually signs of overpressure; when they manifest themselves you are already in danger territory.

Posts: 2993 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
Freebore plays a big role in chamber pressure. All my 6.5 CM barrels have cut to run the 140 ELD's. The first issue I have with Hogdon's published data is that it's showing 42.3 grains as a compressed load. It's nowhere near being compressed.

Posts: 1809 | Location: Ohio | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post