SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 ... 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 ... 140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have a Tikka T3 “Tactical” chambered for 223 Remington that I’m quite happy with when I want an alternative to using the same rifle in 308 Winchester. Eurooptic evidently still has them in stock at close-out pricing. I’ve also found them willing to reduce prices even a bit more if I call direct and offer to pay with a check rather than plastic.

If anyone is interested, be sure to ask what the rifling twist rate is. Mine is 1/8", but I was told that the more recent ones were imported with 1/10" barrels.

http://www.eurooptic.com/tikka...223-rem-jrtm112.aspx

The T3x rifles look nice as well and have some advantages over the now-discontinued T3.

http://www.eurooptic.com/tikka...-sporter-rifles.aspx

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
I swear to God, if I see one more post about how "I can build a custom rifle for $1500", and then the person proceeds to say they'll buy a 700 for $500 and use an "archangel chassis" and a criterion barrel and not have anything trued or timed, my head is going to explode.

That is all.

Thank you for allowing me to vent. Lol

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Welp.. The ackley is together.

Took a bit of fuckin around. After blueprinting, the bolt still need about 7 thou off the back of the lugs.

Then we noticed the bolt nose and boltface weren't square. Took a thou off each to clean them up.

Action was in shockingly good shape. Faced it 1 thou, threads needed about 8 thou, and lug abutments needed about 2 thou. Tomorrow it goes to the range.

A buddy gave me a 700 in 7-08 to take down there that was "trued" and built by a smith whose name some of you may recognize. It was in horrendous condition. The recoil lug was pinned, but was off-center. Combine that with oversize tennon threads from the "truing" and the barrel was binding on the lug. The barrel was not properly torqued on, only the bottom lug was making contact (he spent about 40 minutes lapping it with 220 & then 400 to get the top one to make contact), the front scope base screw was screwed right into the tennon threads, front action screw was in literally 2 threads, all sorts of shit. The complaint? "I spent 200 rounds of load development and couldn't get better than 1.25" at 100". After seeing it all, it was no wonder why. That dude is gonna get a big bill. Lol

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:

Took a bit of fuckin around. After blueprinting, the bolt still need about 7 thou off the back of the lugs.

Then we noticed the bolt nose and boltface weren't square. Took a thou off each to clean them up.

Action was in shockingly good shape. Faced it 1 thou, threads needed about 8 thou, and lug abutments needed about 2 thou. Tomorrow it goes to the range.

Not sure if I told you, I had great results with my 223AI using both Sierra 77-TMK's and Berger 80.5 Fullbore's. Going 2950-fps with both. The Bergers have the ballistic edge on paper, so that's what I'm going to stick with. If you want to try some of the TMK's, I can send you 20 or so to play around with, before I sell the rest.

----------------------------------------

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

George Carlin

Posts: 908 | Location: Colorado, and as far away from Denver as I can get. | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alpine:
quote:

Not sure if I told you, I had great results with my 223AI using both Sierra 77-TMK's and Berger 80.5 Fullbore's. Going 2950-fps with both. The Bergers have the ballistic edge on paper, so that's what I'm going to stick with. If you want to try some of the TMK's, I can send you 20 or so to play around with, before I sell the rest.

Sure, I'll give em a try, thanks!

I got 2908 with 90smks, but the primers cratered pretty bad. I have 80 smks and 80.5 Bergers here to test as well. Really wanting to use the 90s, so I'm going to try rl15 (first round was with 8208).

Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
Well, yesterdays Sporting Rifle Match in Raton NM was a Suckfest for me, to say the least.

Maybe I should start a blog called - My Suckfest

Showed up Saturday for the practice range. Sun was at such a low angle above the ridge that backs the targets, it caused quite a bit of glare in the scope, and spotting hits on steel, or misses was short of impossible. For some reason I had difficulty hitting the small close targets 4" at 240 and 300-yards, but was hitting bigger plates at distance. Even took a poke at the 885-yard target and hit it on my first shot. Again, you couldn't see impact on steel, other than the plate swinging.

Start of the Sunday match was a repeat of the practice range for me. We started on Stage 1, and I couldn't hit the small close target. Then as I moved out in distance, I hit one target, but kept missing others. I did hit the 875-yard target, but I could see it was a low impact bottom edge of the plate.

Next two stages I Zero, mostly because I start experimenting. I know I'm shooting low, and add some to my elevation. But wind, who the Hell knows? Stage 4 I hit three out of six there, but it was a quartering wind, so easy to handle. Stage 5, again, only hit a couple. Stage 6. Hit two, maybe three? But with the tricky wind, your just guessing how far things are off?

Stage 7, the Tripod/Sticks stage, wind is kind for me and I get three hits. Misdialed DOPE on one of the targets, so that was a miss.

Stage 8, 9, and 10 I'm so frustrated that I'm dialing the wrong DOPE more often then I'd like to admit. I know my elevation is off, and dialing an additional 0.2-mil in elevation helps, but the phrase "Pissing in the wind" fits perfectly in my situation.

Scores from the match were lower than usual because of the tricky wind. Some of the guys shooting the match had previous scores in the high 50's, so that tells you what kind of wind we were dealing with.

High scores;

Brian W 51 (Winner because of Stage 7 tie breaker).
Fritz 51 (from Mile High Shooting)
Arron P 50 or 49?

Me... a sorry 16

Not to end the misery there, get to Steamboat at 11 pm to drop off Rob who rode down to the match with me, while unloading my car and carrying his heavy ass pelican rifle case, I slip on the ice as I'm trying to put the case in the front seat of his truck. Well I did a Flying Wellenda and the case goes up in the air and lands on my right leg. Almost feels like its broken.

I need to start a Go Fund Me account so you guys that feel sorry for me, can send me money.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

George Carlin

Posts: 908 | Location: Colorado, and as far away from Denver as I can get. | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
Today I go out, hobble around on snowshoes with the broken leg (not really broken, just a sore and bruised muscle), and remove about three feet of snow from my 100-meter target backer.

Then it starts to snow, so I rush out and shoot the rifle to figure out my problem.

My 100-meter zero is 0.4-Mil low, and 0.3-Mil left. Then shot three in a ragged hole after scope adjustment.
Fiddled with the scope again, shot three into 0.20" group, then put the last round of my loaded ammo almost center. This is all during a freaking blizzard, so that's it until the storm passes.

Obviously it wasn't the rifle or ammo. Probably forgot to set my turrets after the initial zero? That's the only explanation I can come up with for now?

That's what I get for getting a new rifle, shooting 85-rounds, then putting it away for a few months, and then trying to shoot a match with it.

George Carlin

posted Hide Post
Offgrid and I just entered the extended long distance PRS match that will occur in June in Wyoming. We have spoken a few times about which gun and caliber to use for targets from 500 to 1800 yards. Our buddy Scott shot this match last year with a 300WM and evidently didn't care much for the gun's recoil. It's my understanding Scott will shoot it this year with one of his 6mm chamberings. I will shoot with a 6.5 Creedmoor. Offgrid has discussed 6.5x47, but may have larger caliber options. The idea of using less powerful cartridges is that we might do better on the closer targets, and we will let the big boys have the truly long targets and the recoil pounding.

Wind is always the big factor on known distance long targets. Offgrid stated that when a bullet is being pushed 1 MOA for every mph of crosswind, hitting targets gets really hard. For grins I ran the numbers on my rifles at 8,000' DA.

1 MOA wind drift per 1 mph crosswind:
6.5 Creedmoor, Hornady factory ELD-M 140 -- 1,740 yards, bullet speed of Mach 1.04
308 Win, Federal GMM 175 -- 1,300 yards, bullet speed of Mach 1.01
223 Remy, Federal GMM 69 -- 980 yards, bullet speed of Mach 1.03

I've shot steel at these or slightly shorter (lower DA) distances, and I can honestly state that my target hit percentage sucks from windage issues. Furthermore, due to the extended distances and low mach speed, the slightest technique error results in poor accuracy. These are truly the limits of these bullets. Probably well beyond their reasonable limits.

1/2 MOA wind drift per 1 mph crosswind:
6.5 Creed -- 1,050 yards, Mach 1.54
308 Win -- 790 yards, Mach 1.48
223 Remy -- 590 yards, Mach 1.47
These are much more doable distances. Hitting targets still isn't child's play, but at least I don't feel like I'm blindly lobbing bullets at an area target.

1/4 MOA wind drift per 1 mph crosswind:
6.5 Creed -- 580 yards, Mach 1.94
308 Win -- 430 yards, Mach 1.84
223 Remy -- 330 yards, Mach 1.88
These are fun distances to shoot. When the wind is reasonable, steel target impacts are consistent. At these distances in steel matches, the course of fire is often under time constraint or from unusual positions, otherwise hit percentages would be quite high..

So how does wind affect the above three cartridges on say a 12" wide (2 MOA) plate at 600 yards? Let's compare by using a wind speed window of how much one can mis-judge wind speed and still hit the target.
6.5 Creed -- 7.7 mph
308 Win -- 5.5 mph
223 Remy -- 3.4 mph

For this match I want a rifle that has minimal recoil like offgrid/Scott/Alpine's 6 Dashers, but has the flight ballistics of a 375 CheyTac. Anybody have one I can borrow?

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
For this match I want a rifle that has minimal recoil like offgrid/Scott/Alpine's 6 Dashers, but has the flight ballistics of a 375 CheyTac. Anybody have one I can borrow?

Big Grin

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
I shot it last year with my 7 SAUM. Had no problems hitting the furthest targets (1775-yards max). But then again, the wind was kind for us most of the match. I made the mistake of going into the match with a couple hundred rounds down the tube. So by day two, by barrel was pretty fouled, and starting to have shots wander.
The top ten shooters were either shooting a 300 Norma Mag or a 338 Lapua Mag, but there was a 6.5X47L and 284 Win Mag in the top ten.
I'm having a 338LM built, just waiting on McMillan to finish the stock. Spoke with them last week and theyre saying it's 3-weeks out. So if I can get enough practice with the new 338LM, and feel comfortable with it, that's what I'll be running. Otherwise it will be the 7 SAUM again.
This is one of my favorite matches, and really looking forward to it. This year the closest target is 600-yards, and 1900-yards for the looong shot.

George Carlin

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Bah, that's easy. SWMBO made a first round impact at 1860 with a 6 dasher.

posted Hide Post
Ya, I enjoy studying all the wind drift stuff.

The max distances changes compared to last years ELR match has me waffling between shooting a 6.5x47 or a friends 300WM. No doubt I could shoot the 6.5 faster, no doubt the 6.5 is running out of gas at the further distances and getting pushed around more by the wind beyond 1000yds. Have a high hit percentage 1200-1300yds and in with the 6.5, have my wind reading cap on nice and tight, might fair well against the rest of the pack? A caliber didn't win that match last year, top ten finishers of last years match are among the best shooters in the country and most of them come from part of the country where they are shooting in big wind and similar terrain. I have a month to chew on what I'm going to shoot.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have no illusions that for this ELR match there will be better shooters than I, using rifles better designed for the distances at hand. A rifle with more boiler room than the 6.5 Creedmoor isn't in the cards now, especially given my current priority of upgrading my fleet of optics. I intend to practice more at 1000+ yards, with hopes of developing a lane for a 1250-1300 yard target at our ranch.

For this year's 1900 yard target, I will be at max dialed scope elevation plus a generous reticle hold over. Pretty certain that means I'm at a disadvantage here, so I better have my act together on the closer targets.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Well, the ackley did its job and exposed my weakness at calling wind. Winners were at 70, I was in 10th with 52.

Several people initially gave me shit, but when I offered to swap rifles with them for a stage, they all quieted down right quick. Imagine that?

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Probably off topic, but the regulars here are the most likely to know. What is the old style of channel/rail used on the hand guard of target rifles called?

Posts: 9956 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Probably off topic, but the regulars here are the most likely to know. What is the old style of channel/rail used on the hand guard of target rifles called?

http://www.championshooters.co...ory_id=74&Itemid=111

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, the ackley did its job and exposed my weakness at calling wind. Winners were at 70, I was in 10th with 52.

Several people initially gave me shit, but when I offered to swap rifles with them for a stage, they all quieted down right quick. Imagine that?

Come on man, gotta give details! Match format, target size, distances, wind.....?

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
quote:

Come on man, gotta give details! Match format, target size, distances, wind.....?

Prs-style format, distances 275-800. I couldn't spin the spinner @ 275 with my anemic little 90s. Wind was light, 5-7 switching from behind us to quarter ongoing right to left. Enough wind that I had to give some with the ai, where I would have held straight up with the 47. Targets were generous enough, I was just not on my game. Winter rust didn't help any.

I see Tyler Payne put on a clinic this weekend at the gas gun opener...

posted Hide Post
quote:

Prs-style format, distances 275-800. I couldn't spin the spinner @ 275 with my anemic little 90s. Wind was light, 5-7 switching from behind us to quarter ongoing right to left. Enough wind that I had to give some with the ai, where I would have held straight up with the 47. Targets were generous enough, I was just not on my game. Winter rust didn't help any.

I see Tyler Payne put on a clinic this weekend at the gas gun opener...

I got spanked at local match on Saturday with my 223, the match fritz and I shot last month. Shot my AR 223, had bunch of rounds loaded, didn't feel like loading for my Dasher. I couldn't hang with the bolt rifles. Scott shooting his 6BR spotted me 4pts, should have spotted me 10! Confirmed what I already know, semi's can't compete with bolts! Did manage the high semi Big Grin

posted Hide Post
fritz,

distances from last years ELR match. This years match with a minimum of 600yds, max 1900yds, I'm getting scared! Maybe I should have jelrod1 whip me up a long barrel 7saum!

866, 1266, 1749
611, 713, 764
833, 1038, 1220
713, 1283, 1770
Mover at 745, confirm at 1217, 1516
823, 1215
682, 893
1141, 1396, 1278
511, 459, 470
400, PRS skill challenge, 3 targets, 123321
490, 571, 628, 675 Prairie dogs on tall T-post, no way spotting a miss.
984, 1420, 1710
1044, 1224
953, 1529
840, 741, 761, 776
495, 4 positions
745, 1197, 1442
600, 800, 1000, 1200 PRS skill challenge 4shots, run back 10yds retrieve second mag shoot 2nd mag weak side, 4 shots