SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 ... 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 ... 140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
Anybody tried Bix n Andy triggers?

I just ordered two of the new TacSport triggers. Adjustable down as far as 10oz, two stage. $255 each.

They are expected to start shipping in April.

Who did you order them from? I called the company who imports them and was told they're not available until April, and would email me when available.

----------------------------------------

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

George Carlin

Posts: 908 | Location: Colorado, and as far away from Denver as I can get. | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alpine:
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
Anybody tried Bix n Andy triggers?

I just ordered two of the new TacSport triggers. Adjustable down as far as 10oz, two stage. $255 each.

They are expected to start shipping in April.

Who did you order them from? I called the company who imports them and was told they're not available until April, and would email me when available.

https://bulletcentral.com/prod...ger-sporting-rifles/

They won't charge your CC until they ship.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've shot a single stage Bix n Andy trigger, very good.

You too notice how far back the trigger shoe is on their new two stage? Guessing similar to a Jewell? Fair amount further back then my CG's. Trigger finger would be past the 90 degree bend....don't think I would like that. YMMV

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
I've shot a single stage Bix n Andy trigger, very good.

You too notice how far back the trigger shoe is on their new two stage? Guessing similar to a Jewell? Fair amount further back then my CG's. Trigger finger would be past the 90 degree bend....don't think I would like that. YMMV

I haven't gotten my hands on one yet, so I'm trying not to judge based on pictures.

I figure if I don't like them when they show up, it won't be hard to unload them since availability will be scarce in the beginning, I'm sure.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dasher barrel #4 looks to be a hummer. Laddered up 4895 and VArget. Double checking two loads, H4895 and Varget, 105 Hybrids/CCI450's. Just 4 shots each. Ya, I know supposed to be 5! Shoot these two loads on paper at 1050yds soon. Re-zero'd my scope on the upper left first.

These Dashers shoot. Thanks jelrod1 for chambering me another laser. Accurate guns sure are fun!

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On Comet, on Cupid, on Donner and Blitzen!
Now, dash away, dash away, dash away all!

Looking good. Yet again. Them thar Dashers just shoot.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
They sure do. At the annual new years shoot I put up 5 rounds @420 in a little over 2". My x47 only did 3.1".

There's another shoot Sunday, I'll be taking both rifles again. Here's hoping...

Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Having a blast with the .17hmr rebuild. I thought I was going to have to play with the action a bit to get it settled in, but as you see below it was not the case. The 20gr CCI Gamepoints (mislabeled as 17gr)and the A-17s did the best.

click image upload

Spent part of the afternoon confiming my zero at about 215yds. Not as much time as I wanted due to freezing rain that rolled in. I had to walk the post and plate out in snowshoes so was drenched before I even started. I remembered later I had a set of FroggToggs in the back of the truck..oh well!!2

Have to get used to guessing my distance better. The phone app was a bit off and over dialed. 20 yards makes a difference now! No issues with the 8" A500 steel. Had a good tone and the little flea still had enough oomph to dance the plate.

Fun stuff!!!!!

upload pictures free

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
So, how did the Pueblo match go? I hear MeryBeth cleaned house.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

George Carlin

Posts: 908 | Location: Colorado, and as far away from Denver as I can get. | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MaryBeth shot well -- beat me in the morning, I returned the favor in the afternoon. The rifle that GAP (?) built for her is really cool. I hope she stays with this game, because she's an amazing talent, especially for a 9-year-old.

Offgrid was on fire. IIRC 38/40 in the morning (2nd place), 39/40 in the morning (tied for 1st). It was a chilly day, started in the 20's with heavy fog, light breeze in our face. I tucked tail between legs -- 28 and 31.

All shots at 300 yards. First string was prone. Second string was pack only support off bench, standing or crouching. Third string was kneeling or sitting using a tripod, bags/packs/sling for rear support -- no rigid rear support. Morning's 4th string was from inside a wooden trailer that was attached behind an ATV. Afternoon's 4th string was seated on the ATV, using packs/bags/bipods over the front of the ATV to support the rifle.

I kicked butt on the prone and pack supported strings, got my butt kicked on the 3rd & 4th strings. I really know what I must work on. It was a fun match, and I will do it again.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thinking out loud here.

A good friend, fellow long range shooter now has access to land that allows him to get out to a minimum of 2000yds, maybe 2500yds. Which I'll have access to it. Hmmmm! I currently shoot out to 1050yds max. With my Dasher/105 Hybrids I'm very confident in my abilities to consistently hit a 1 MOA target at 1050. What I mean by consistent is in any condition hit minimum of 3/5. Dasher's wind drift at that distance is .55 MOA per 1 mph, not a big window, but doable. Had a 7saum a few years ago 180 Hybrids at 2950. Shot it a few times at a mile, it's 1 mph wind drift at 1 mile was right at 1 MOA. Very challenging getting on a mile with it. Miss L-R-R-L.....I could not meet that 3/5 hit ratio. Elevation was good. That was a eye opening experience judging the wind at that distance, having such a small window..... Clearly showed me I was under gunned to get consistent hits at a mile.

A couple calibers I'm starting to look at. 338LM Ackley or 338LM Allen Express/Berger 300 Hybrids. Should be able to get a Berger 300 Hybrid up against 3000fps with a 32"ish barrel. The advantage to the 338, can use a AICS chassis, (I have tons of rounds on that chassis), action choice is good, mag feed. A step from the 338 in ballistics would be a .375 CheyTac of some variant. Disadvantage, less chassis options, actions.... Single Shot would be the direction I would go with a .375.

If I go down this rabbit hole with my buddy, it will be slow, well thought out process. There's a few ELR matches every year at the Whittington Center in Raton. Believe they go out to two miles. My buddy and I are planning to go down to the first match of the season as spectators. Talk to the competitors, see the stuff in action, learn from them, take it all in....

No doubt a big part of my ability to shoot the Dasher well is how fast I can shoot it, quick follow up shots, very little time absorbing recoil, getting back on target... Big gun will be a different deal for sure.

Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
Offgrid, just a few thoughts on your post. It's a rabbit hole I've gone down recently. You milage may vary. I did some long range training a while back with my .300 WinMag. I was shooting the 230gr. Berger at close to 2900 fps. The load was very hot and murder on brass. I was never able to get a first round hit on a 24" target at 1760. Was able to get followup hits after spotting the miss.

My solution was to build a .300 Norma Mag. My research led me to believe it was a very effective cartridge at range. I'm currently using the 215gr. Berger with a MV of 3150fps out of a 29" barrel. I've taken it out to range with excellent results. Last year I just couldn't make the dates work to take it out to a mile. I hope to remedy that this year.

I think the .375 is a awesome LR bore size but the drawbacks you listed are why I didn't head that big. The .338 wildcats could be a great option. When I was looking I was avoiding the wildcats. In my case going .338 Lapua didn't offer me anything over the Norma.

Happiness is having to climb in your car to change your target.

Posts: 2469 | Location: Nowhere Fun | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
I think any of the 338s at 2500+ yards are not going to give you that dasher level of performance you're looking for either.

I know you're worried about chassis options, but a .375 variant will really serve you better if your intent is an ELR rig. I'd look at maybe a .375 SnipeTac or a .375 Lunatic. The Lunatic can send a 425gn Cutting Edge (G1 advertised 1.030, reported tested G7 of .490) at 2960 FPS. That is a single-load bullet due to length (it's a lathe-turned copper solid).

While I don't have one of these things, and have no immediate plans to build one, I have two buddies that have built SnipeTacs. I just can't justify the added expense for a rifle that I might only get to stretch out a handful of times per year. I really wish I could, and I find myself frequently doing research and daydreaming about it though (hence the info above that I had at my fingertips).

There are also some ELR matches at Q Creek in WY that I'd look into if I were you.....

posted Hide Post
exx1976,

I'm under no illusion a 338 wildcat will give me Dasher performance at 2500yds!

Ya, it's fun to look at all this stuff, ballistics, energy down range...

Buddies range is 1hr 45 minutes from me. I can see shooting there as much as I can afford! How far he can get out will definitely be a factor on caliber choice. Big difference between 2000 and 2500yds.

Thanks for the Q Creek info. Shot your buddies .375's?

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
exx1976,

I'm under no illusion a 338 wildcat will give me Dasher performance at 2500yds!

Ya, it's fun to look at all this stuff, ballistics, energy down range...

Buddies range is 1hr 45 minutes from me. I can see shooting there as much as I can afford! How far he can get out will definitely be a factor on caliber choice. Big difference between 2000 and 2500yds.

Thanks for the Q Creek info. Shot your buddies .375's?

I pulled the trigger on one of them, once. Not for lack of wanting to shoot more, but they are shooting some strange lathe-turned copper solids that are like $4/bullet, and were stingy with their ammo. In point of truth, I shouldn't call them "buddies", but more correctly, some guys I know.

We were all at one of those 420-yard matches and one of them brought his. I fired it once at 375. Loud as all hell, but very effective brake.

There's another guy in that same group that's a 50BMG nerd. He actually built his rifle himself, using a left handed armalite action, and is lathe-turning his own bullets of his own design. He's going to take a trip this summer somewhere out west and shoot it at 4000 yards.

posted Hide Post
Quick, contact the mods -- offgrid's account has been hacked by a Russian who dreams of 100-grain case capacities. Obviously this is not the same offgrid with whom a few days ago I discussed positional training with suppressed 22lr and PCP/springer air rifles.

Yep, it's those darn Russian hackers.

Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
Problem with many steel matches, is they will not let you shoot solids. Some ELR matches limit you to 338 caliber. With a 375, your stuck with a fun toy, with no place to compete with it.

George Carlin

posted Hide Post
We all want to show targets when things went swimmingly. Here's one when I judged crosswinds like dog doo.
22lr, 172 yards, 7k DA, 8-13mph crosswinds from my 8-9 o'clock, Eley Club ammo
10" plate -- 1.0" vertical dispersion, 8.8" horizontal dispersion

JBM bullet drift calculates at 11" to 19" for the wind speeds. I tried to hold for the wind -- from just off the left edge, to way off the left edge. May have done just as well by holding 6" left of target and letting the wind land the bullets as may be.

A 10mph crosswind tosses 22lr Club bullets 8 MOA at 170 yards. To get 8 MOA drift with .308 FGMM 175 the target distance is 1075 yards. 8 MOA of drift with 6.5 Creedmoor 140 AMax occurs at 1400 yards. This is what makes shooting 22lr in wind so maddening.

I guess I can take solace in that the ammo held .6 MOA vertical.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
My .223AI practice gun should be done this weekend. Just got a call from PTG that my bolt will be shipping today, 2-day delivery. Last I spoke with Jim See he said "Any weekend in February", so hopefully this weekend works. Waiting to hear back from him.

Excited!

posted Hide Post
Keep us posted on your 223AI. A couple of summers ago Alpine shot his when he, offgrid, and I met in the mountains for a training day. I was impressed with Alpine's ballistics and accuracy from fire formed loads.

Since I don't reload, the 223AI probably isn't the ticket for me, however a precision 223 Remy actually sounds pretty cool.