SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    BCG's, PSA and AIM. What's the difference between them?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BCG's, PSA and AIM. What's the difference between them? Login/Join 
Picture of rangeme101
posted
I need a bolt carrier for a 6.5 Grendel build. Going to purchase a complete BCG and use the 5.56 bolt as a spare.

Budget is $100 or less.

Seems PSA and AIM fit that bill with good reviews. But what is the difference between each brands models. Other than price and finish they all seem to have the same descriptions. So why the different price points?

Thanks

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Id go with PSA, but only their premium line.

Differences are likely small or none at all. Name mainly, look what Noveske can get when they stamp their logo on something.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
Be wary of material, HPI/MPI, full auto vs semi for FP shrouding, and QC stuff such as gas key staking etc.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the AIM V2, only because I have one and I'm very pleased with it. The PSA premium is no doubt a good BCG although it's phosphated vs Nitride on the AIM. I'm partial to nitride on BCG as it makes them very easy to clean up.

Coincidentally both the AIM and PSA are back ordered right now.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I read a study a while back that suggested the High Pressure Test is actually a poor metric, as firing proof loads is more likely to initiate a stress crack than to detect it.

I will see if I can dig it up.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Here's a nitride Toolcraft BCG for about $80 + shipping.

Monmouth Reloading

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
First time I've heard of monmouth/tool craft. Excellent reviews. I'm not worried about a logo. Good current price also. Will check them out.

Is nickel worth the extra few dollars?

PSA has one they say is "tested". I gues that means it's had a proof load shot through it.

I've built lowers and bought complete uppers and rifles in the past. This would be my first upper build. Hence the inquiry.

Thanks for info so far folks.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rangeme101:
First time I've heard of monmouth/tool craft.

I read somewhere Toolcraft makes a lot of BCGs for companies like Aim etc. and I have always read good things about them. If I wasn't stocked so deep in BCGs I would buy one for $79

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Toolcraft is OEM for a LOT of AR makers.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
I read a study a while back that suggested the High Pressure Test is actually a poor metric, as firing proof loads is more likely to initiate a stress crack than to detect it.

Link to the study?

Posts: 908 | Location: TX | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Toolcraft is OEM for a LOT of AR makers.

List of makers?

Posts: 908 | Location: TX | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Biggest difference I can think of between the two listed is materials & coatings. Aim is, or was last I looked, a 9310 bolt with nitride. PSA is C158 with phosphate. I don't really understand the difference between the two, but u weng with PSA because I was buying them for $59 each.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2734 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
Toolcraft is one of the suppliers for replacement BCG's for the Marine Corps. I'm unsure who they OEM for.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swage:
Toolcraft is one of the suppliers for replacement BCG's for the Marine Corps. I'm unsure who they OEM for.

Source?

Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g4tx:
quote:

Source?

You have the same access to the internet that I do.

Since you don't seem to want to do any of the leg work yourself, look up Toolcraft's cage code and which service branches use said cage code.

Still too lazy?

How about just looking at their home page?

http://toolcraftinc.com/company/

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of was0311
posted Hide Post
I have an AIM BCG I bought it when it was the only one I could find. It sits in my range bag as spare for 3 gun.

9310 Bolt, the carrier key looks there was an attempt to stake it.

Posts: 2654 | Location: Eastern NE | Registered: July 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Rock River for $87
https://www.rockriverarms.com/...play&category_id=377

I have an AIM that looks like it was staked with a pencil. Have not used it. Bought a Rock River as I have a factory RRA gun with thousands upon thousands of flawless rounds.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Link to the study?

Can't find the study. I thought I had saved a pdf of it but I can't find it.

I did find this, from Reed Knight of Knights Armament.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showt...=1008341#post1008341

From the discussion of industry partners privy to the numbers, new AR-15 bolts NEVER fail the HPT.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Link to the study?

Can't find the study. I thought I had saved a pdf of it but I can't find it.

I did find this, from Reed Knight of Knights Armament.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showt...=1008341#post1008341

From the discussion of industry partners privy to the numbers, new AR-15 bolts NEVER fail the HPT.

Thanks - good read.

tp

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Source?

You have the same access to the internet that I do.

Since you don't seem to want to do any of the leg work yourself, look up Toolcraft's cage code and which service branches use said cage code.

Still too lazy?

How about just looking at their home page?

http://toolcraftinc.com/company/
Toolcraft's cage code comes up in the DLA data base. When I checked the NAICS code they provided it came up with this. I also ran their cage code 1B1B6 into Army property.com an it only came back with one NSN and it was for a straight pin. When I ran the same query for COLT Defense I came up with 940 NSNs. FN had multiple CAGE codes and over 700 NSNs. Armyproperty.com is open to everyone. I'll try to have my log guys run the cage code for a part look up through PBUSE when I get back(it'll be a while). I believe that the ARMY and Navy systems talk so hopefully I'll find something. Looking at Tool craft's website they claim to be providing parts in one of three ways: As a subcontractor to Colt, A subcontractor to FN or as spare parts. COLT and FN have M4 contracts and FN has the M16 contract. I don't know if I'll be able find conclusive proof, because the complete rifles have a single NSN and I believe the CAGE codes from those NSN will be COLT DEFENSE (13629) or FN(3S679 or possibly others). What did your internet search find?

Posts: 4579 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post