SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    BCG's, PSA and AIM. What's the difference between them?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BCG's, PSA and AIM. What's the difference between them? Login/Join 
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
By MIKE CONLEY
nconley@mcdowellnews.com
Monday, June 4, 2007

U.S. Rep. Heath Shuler paid a visit Monday to the Marion company that will soon manufacture an important part of the U.S. Army’s M-16 rifle.

In April, Shuler’s office announced that Toolcraft Inc. of North Carolina received a five-year contract from the Department of the Army.

The initial contract order is for more than $1.4 million, with a cumulative value of $25 million over five years. With this contract, Toolcraft will produce the key and bolt carrier assembly for the M-16 rifle.

On Monday, Ray Porter, owner and president of Toolcraft, showed Shuler an example of what his company will make for the military.

"We start with a piece of raw stock and that’s what we end up with," said Porter, adding that it’s one of the most used parts of the weapon.

Under the contract, Toolcraft will make 700,000 key and bolt carrier assemblies for the Army. About 18 to 20 more people will be hired at the plant to fulfill the contract.

Toolcraft will have a full-fledged third shift in operation to produce the part.

"It’s a real exciting time," said Porter.

Toolcraft wants to be in full production by August but would like to get started sooner, said Doug McMinn, director of sales for Toolcraft.

Porter said Tom Jones, the grant and projects coordinator in Shuler’s Asheville office, and Randy Flack, regional field representative for Shuler, helped make this happen. His firm has been doing government contracts for the last five years and this is the biggest one yet.

Smith & Wesson has asked Toolcraft to make the same part for them, too. About 30,000 a year will be made for the firearms manufacturer. In addition, Toolcraft recently got another military contract worth $3 million to make a part for a bipod stand used to support rifles. Toolcraft will make about 400,000 of those parts.

Shuler said he was glad to help a small business get a big contract. He is a member of the House Committee on Small Business and chairs the Subcommittee on Rural and Urban Entrepreneurship.

"The backbone of our economy is the small business," said the Waynesville Democrat. "We have to make sure they have the tools and the equipment to go out there and get those loans, get those contracts. Trying to be a small businessman in this world is not easy."

Porter also gave Shuler and his staff a tour of the plant, located at 1877 Rutherford Road.

Established in 1978, Toolcraft employs 50 to 60 people at its 40,000-square-foot plant. The firm was started in Burke County and moved to Marion in 1999.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
going with Monmouth/toolcraft BCG. couldn't find any negatives on them. appear to be one of it not the maker of most BCG that others sell under their own brand names, like AIM, PSA and others. thanks for all the help and info to better educate myself on the product.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rangeme101:
going with Monmouth/toolcraft BCG. couldn't find any negatives on them. appear to be one of it not the maker of most BCG that others sell under their own brand names, like AIM, PSA and others. thanks for all the help and info to better educate myself on the product.

Plus the unconditional lifetime warranty isn't bad. My next BCG I buy will be Toolcraft as well.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
wow that was fast. ordered Friday, here today. nice looking. oiled, sealed in its own bag. very well packaged and came USPS. and no express delivery, just the "free" ship option. I think they might give TGS a run for their money on shipping.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
May have to pick one of these up as a spare.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post