SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Sig Rattler 300 Blackout
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig Rattler 300 Blackout Login/Join 
posted
I have to chance to pick up a slightly used Sig Rattler in 300 blackout. Anyone care to offer their opinions on this rifle?

Posts: 246 | Location: Chicago Area | Registered: November 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have a MCX Virtus in 300 Blackout. I don’t know what the difference(s) is/are between it and the Rattler other than, I gather, the barrel length, but I am completely happy with mine.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
Sig's MCX line are heavier, more expensive, and use proprietary parts compared to an AR. The parts portion matters when you're trying to upgrade things like a charging handle or trigger and have to buy the specific part, usually at a higher price than the AR counterpart. Their piston system provides seemingly little advantage in terms of cleanliness, reliability, and gas blowback when suppressed, as well. The main advantage in my mind is that it's not another AR (except it's pretty dang close), and it can fire with the stock folded.

With the Rattler specifically, the 5.5" barrel is also a bit short if you intend to do anything at distance other than target shooting (and subsonics will need to be lobbed on target at 100+ yards).

They certainly look cool. I might be tempted if they were under $1000, but at $2000+ they run with guns like Q's Honey Badger, Noveske Ghetto Blaster & Space Invader, LWRC SMG-45, B&T subguns, and other compact setups that are commonly suppressed that I'd personally rather have.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for view. I am looking at around $1200 with the Romeo 5. Also thinking about re-loading the 300 round.

Posts: 246 | Location: Chicago Area | Registered: November 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brianfede:
Thanks for view. I am looking at around $1200 with the Romeo 5. Also thinking about re-loading the 300 round.

At that price it would certainly get a close look from me. I built an 8.3" barreled AR with some pretty nice parts for about that much. So far it's really just a subsonic suppressor host range toy, if that's the intended role for the Rattler I wouldn't tell you not to.

Really it comes down to barrel length. They are using the faster 1:5 twist that helps with stabilizing and maintaining accuracy in subsonics, but your velocities are going to be even lower than a 7-9" barrel that a lot of people consider "the minimum" for a 300 blackout. Depending on your muzzle velocity and zero distance you're looking at something like 8-12" of drop out at 100 yards. Go out to 200 and you're looking more at 5-6 feet of drop.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brianfede:

That’s a phenomenal price, about $1000 less than new. You almost have to get it at that price.

The Rattler is probably the best combo of size with a potent caliber around. I run supers through mine, Barnes Vortex and I throw it in a compact sling bag when traveling.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
The AR pushes a 55 grain .22 caliber bullet at roughly 3,000 FPS. The rattler will push a bullet twice as heavy in .30 caliber at 2,000 FPS. I hardly think that a paper target only gun. For me, 300blk, like 7.62x39 is a 300 yards and in caliber. Sure you can easily reach out further than that with them, but that’s not my use.

An AR cannot get as compact as the rattler. It still needs a buffer tube...no way around that.

The rattler is heavy for its size, but it’s so short that you don’t notice it. Weight is a non issue in a gun that compact.

All that means I think the rattler in 300 blk is an ideal compact rifle package. I don’t think an AR pattern gun can hold a candle to it for such a use. Personally, I would not buy a rattler in 5.56 as I don’t have an interest in 55 grain .22 caliber bullet at the velocities it will produce.

A .300blk rattler is a slightly faster 10mm that will have a lot less bullet drop over distance, maintain more energy at distance and penetrate better. So at worst (per the haters), it’s a 10mm with a 300 yard effective range. Is it a .308? No. Is it a paper target gun? No.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post