SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    March Scopes to release a new scope for PRS (and others)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

March Scopes to release a new scope for PRS (and others) Login/Join 
posted
What is a pre-release announcement doing here on SIG forum? Well, this one is special. Some of you may remember a discussion about scopes and reticles a little while back. One of the members here had some comments about a reticle that was going to be available for the now released March-X 5-42X56 HM WA riflescope. The comments were actually much more like criticisms. This was back in December, 2019.

I contacted March and passed on the critique. They informed me they were considering other reticles for a new concept scope they were going to announce at the 2020 SHOT show.

That's when I contacted the SIG forum member who had made the comments and suggested that we enter in the reticle design competition for the new scope. The SIG forum member I am talking about is offgrid. Over the course of the next few weeks, we exchanged emails and I started drawing a reticle according to our discussions. I will state right up front that offgrid was the one with the concept. We finally got the graphics right on the computer and got then ready for presentation.

We actually designed 2 reticles; one with a Christmas tree and the other one without. Offgrid's vision was to make a PRS reticle that would be useful and not overpowering; one that had everything that was needed and nothing that was not needed. Simple and elegant, and very functional.

I wrote up documentation and marketing material for the reticles and then took that with the graphics to SHOW show and the March booth, where I presented it to the CEO of March and the various distributors of March scopes around the world. About a month later, I heard back from March when they announced that they would go with our design for the PRS reticle. At that time, the person in charge of the reticle designs contacted me and we go down to the fine points of etched reticle design and production. He sent me various iterations of the design using CAD/CAM software, with representation at various magnifications.

A few weeks ago, I was informed that the PRS reticle had been sent to production, under the name PRS-DK reticle. The DK is an amalgamation of offgrid's and my initials.

This morning, I was informed that March had also finalized the second reticle as the LD-DK reticle, This is the one without the Christmas tree.

March is expecting to start shipping this riflescope with our reticles in the fall. The riflescope is a March-X 4.5-28X52 High Master with Wide Angle eyepiece. It will have the High Master lens system, with Super ED lenses and high-refractive lenses (they are not the same lenses.) The wide angle eyepiece will present an FOV about 20% wider than usual. This means that at 5X, it will have the FOV of a scope set at 4X. This is like an IMAX movie compared to a regular movie.

You can see the specs on this scope here:
https://marchscopes.com/wp-con...ew4.5-28x52-rev4.pdf

The reticle pictured on the sheet is NOT the one we are talking about here as this sheet was made just prior to SHOT show.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
That is great.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Are us plebs permitted to enquire as to the cost, always supposing we might sell a kidney or two to fund it?

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Very cool!

March has seemed for years to be interested in expanding their market and listening to what potential customers in new market segments want.

When they were working on their first FFP scope, they had a long thread at Sniper's Hide about what people would like to see in an FFP reticle in a 3-24x42 scope. One of the reticles they ended up offering (FML-1) is pretty much exactly the sum of the popular suggestions in that thread, with a few clever refinements March added.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
Are us plebs permitted to enquire as to the cost, always supposing we might sell a kidney or two to fund it?

I am not privy to the price at the moment, but I will tell you this: the cost of the 5-42X56 HM WA is $4200. The 4.5-28X52 will not have illumination of the fancy turrets of the 5-42X. This alone could save maybe up to $1000 on the price. As we get closer to release, I'm hoping to have more information.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Wow! Congratulations to you and offgrid, and to the March people for following your recommendations.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to you and offgrid for seeing your design concept realized.

Even at $3200, that's well outside my budget, but it's interesting to read about this, nonetheless.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the nice comments everyone. Yes, I vaguely remember the discussion leading to the FML-1 on SH. That was a while back, good memory.

As for the price, even if it's $3,200 or more, one must remember this is a premium tier optics. The glass is astounding. I'm loving the HM glass in my March-X 10-60X56. The ED glass in my March-X 5-50X56 was excellent, the Super ED glass in the HM system is incrementally better. The tube is twice as thick as usual and machined from a single block of high grade aluminum. It's purged with argon and not nitrogen (bigger molecules, less leakage.)

And it's got a choice of two phenomenal reticles. Big Grin

Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
Sounds great. Will they offer a MOA version. $3-$4K sound reasonable for this quality scope. Could you post pictures of the two reticles.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 876 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:

I am not privy to the price at the moment, but I will tell you this: the cost of the 5-42X56 HM WA is $4200. The 4.5-28X52 will not have illumination of the fancy turrets of the 5-42X. This alone could save maybe up to $1000 on the price. As we get closer to release, I'm hoping to have more information.

Thank you, Sir. As I suspected, it's a TWO-kidney job....

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone who reads my post in the Long Range thread knows I'm passionate about long range shooting, love everything about it. When NikonUser contacted me asking if I was interested in helping design a couple reticles, you guys know the answer, heck ya! Lot of fun working on this. Looking at every aspect of a reticle, line thickness, spacing, hash mark height.... Can't wait to see the reticles through a scope. Thanks again NikonUser for taking me along for the ride. And thanks sigforum!

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by low8option:
Sounds great. Will they offer a MOA version. $3-$4K sound reasonable for this quality scope. Could you post pictures of the two reticles.

There are currently no plans for an MOA version. That does not mean it will never happen, but for now it's these two reticles only.

There is an effort to make this scope affordable by not loading it up with frou-frou gizmos. This is the very most bestest glass available, with a wide angle eyepiece and super-premium quality parts.

As for the pictures of the reticles, March has asked that we not show them until they release them. I can understand their rationale and ask that you be patient. I assure you that you will not be disappointed.

BTW, I wanted to add an Easter Egg in the reticle but that was nixed by March. Bummer.

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the nice comments everyone. Yes, I vaguely remember the discussion leading to the FML-1 on SH. That was a while back, good memory.

I remember it because I commented in support of the floating center dot (rather than crosshairs that fully cross) idea based on how much I liked the floating center dot mil hash reticle in an IOR 3.5-18x50, and then ordered one as soon as they were available for preorder.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
Anyone who reads my post in the Long Range thread knows I'm passionate about long range shooting, love everything about it. When NikonUser contacted me asking if I was interested in helping design a couple reticles, you guys know the answer, heck ya! Lot of fun working on this. Looking at every aspect of a reticle, line thickness, spacing, hash mark height.... Can't wait to see the reticles through a scope. Thanks again NikonUser for taking me along for the ride. And thanks sigforum!

The pleasure was mine. I'll reveal a little secret and I know most people will not believe this but offgrid is an opinionated person. I know, shocker...

The follow-on to that is that each and every one of his opinion has backing to it; he doesn't just pluck them out of the air. This also means that when he is presented with other data or additional information he does not reject them out of hand. It was fun working with him and I hope it all comes through in the end. This Wuhan virus crap created delays.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:

I remember it because I commented in support of the floating center dot (rather than crosshairs that fully cross) idea based on how much I liked the floating center dot mil hash reticle in an IOR 3.5-18x50, and then ordered one as soon as they were available for preorder.

Okey doke. Then I expect you will not be disappointed in this riflescope and I expect you to order one as soon as it's available.

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Hah, I'm sure!

I'm happy with my 3-24x42 and the rifle it's on (a fairly lightweight 6.5 Creedmoor).

I do go back on forth on a longer long range rifle build, and if I ever do it, I probably will buy another March - but I'd be tempted by one of the higher magnification ones.

posted Hide Post
Whenever this Wuhan virus panic abates and Bayou Rifles restarts its matches, you will need to come to one of them and look through some of those March scopes at the target 1000 yards away.

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I would really like to.

I've been a member of Bayou Rifles for five or six years but still haven't made it to one of the events to qualify for the past-300m ranges.

posted Hide Post
Interesting ….

That end of the optics spectrum >$3500 - $4500 significantly full with some top names in the PRS Series. Kahles, S&B, US Optics, Nightforce

But March is not one of the recent or classic contenders in the PRS Series winners circle.

It will be great to see another company compete in that circle. Albeit a little late to the party.

Not surprisingly, Vortex remains a very strong contender in that circle. Good quality optics at a good, entry level price. A new shooter doesn't have to break the bank to get in the game with them.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I should add, I'm also really looking forward to seeing the reticles you guys came up with!