SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Good muzzle device for a hunting rifle? (Not a brake or suppressor)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good muzzle device for a hunting rifle? (Not a brake or suppressor) Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
Hello SF brain trust!

Last year I went hunting with my Savage 110. On our way to our hunting spot, my rifle was muzzle-up in the back seat and it shifted over to the back door. When my cousin opened the door, he didn't check to make sure the rifles would not fall out. My rifle fell out of the Jeep, muzzle first, into the gravel below.

I took it with a grain of salt. The barrel was a used 30-06 barrel that I paid $50 to purchase with installation. I had my trusty M25 (scoped M14) as a backup gun and I was really just looking for a reason to use it on that trip.

Since then, I purchased a new 5R barrel, threaded, for my Savage 110. I paid an obscene amount of money for that barrel. I'll eventually run a suppressor, but until then, I'd like to screw on a muzzle device of some sort to protect the crown, if something like that should ever happen again.

Since it's for hunting, I'd like something that won't blow my ears out like a brake would. I've never shot a rifle with a brake without hearing protection.

Suggestions?

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
What is the thread pitch?

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just get a thread protector of your liking or have one custom made.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kilyung:
Just get a thread protector of your liking or have one custom made.

I think he wants some muzzle device out in front to protect the crown if this rifle ever takes a spill.

It is a nice feature of a typical AR. You can set them muzzle down on a hard surface with no worry about damaging the barrel, whereas a thread protector won't protect the crown.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I'll assume, being 30 cal, that the thread pitch will be 5/8-24. I ordered the barrel from Benchmark Barrels.

Tony.

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Consider adding a pair of Howard Leight electronic ear pro.

Even single shots taken while hunting will add to the cumulative effects of hearing damage over the years, regardless of muzzle device.

I wear foamie plugs or electronic ear pro when I shoot my suppressed rifles. I wear both when I shoot my 3-gun rifle.

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Or get one of these:

https://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPRE-324B

If you miss a shot on a deer, all will be well because the deer will have a heart attack due to the sudden loud noise.

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
Since it's for hunting, I'd like something that won't blow my ears out like a brake would. I've never shot a rifle with a brake without hearing protection.

Honestly, brakes are horrible for people around the shooter, but they don't make things much worse for the person behind the rifle.

Crush washers are the devil. Either get a muzzle device that doesn't require timing (i.e., is fully radially symmetric) or use a peel washer or shim kit.

I'll agree with the other people advising you to wear ear protection while hunting, though.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:

Honestly, brakes are horrible for people around the shooter, but they don't make things much worse for the person behind the rifle.

Crush washers are the devil. Either get a muzzle device that doesn't require timing (i.e., is fully radially symmetric) or use a peel washer or shim kit.

I'll agree with the other people advising you to wear ear protection while hunting, though.

Having used both, I'll never use a damn peel washer again. What an enormous pain in the ass.

Shim kits from AAC for me.

posted Hide Post
I agree with IndianaBoy that a no-frills flash hider will be your least costly crown protector.

Brakes are very effective at reducing recoil, and at making the gun louder for everyone. Including the shooter. JP's brakes are very effective, which means loud. My APA brakes are very effective, which means they are loud.

I wear plugs and muffs when my brakes are installed. Suppressors are so much more civilized, but they don't reduce recoil quite as well as a good brake.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
Another way would be with a standard thread protector AND something like a Garand muzzle cover.

That should protect the crown in case of a fall and is easily removable.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:

couldn't disagree more.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
Having used both, I'll never use a damn peel washer again. What an enormous pain in the ass.

I agree shim kits are better than peel washers, but I'll take either over crush washers.

quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
Brakes are very effective at reducing recoil, and at making the gun louder for everyone. Including the shooter.

quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:

couldn't disagree more.

I guess I'm wrong. Maybe the few brakes I have experience with just aren't very good.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. Maybe a birdcage will be the ticket.

The barrel will be stainless, so I was thinking maybe a stainless birdcage or an extension that follows the barrel contour and has ports in it.

Maybe something like these...

Or a set from Ruger like this...

Will the ported ones add any more noise for the shooter?

Tony.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:

I agree shim kits are better than peel washers, but I'll take either over crush washers.

quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
Brakes are very effective at reducing recoil, and at making the gun louder for everyone. Including the shooter.

quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:

couldn't disagree more.

I guess I'm wrong. Maybe the few brakes I have experience with just aren't very good.
well there's no wrong necessarily. The ones I've shot we're notcliceably louder to the shooter even wearing plugs and or muffs. I've killed a few truck loads of deer and never worn plugs when deer hunting. I did that one time with a braked 7 mm RM and that made my mind up for me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: YellowJacket,

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Will the ported ones add any more noise for the shooter?

The ports will almost certainly increase noise to you and to those near you. Every port system is different, so the noise level increase could be anywhere from from insignificant to quite noticeable.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Well since I plan on running a suppressor in the future, I'll just get a 3-prong flash hider from Surefire. I've got connections there anyway and was planning on running one of theirs.

Tony.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Well since I plan on running a suppressor in the future, I'll just get a 3-prong flash hider from Surefire.

That works. I have a few Surefire mounts on my ARs, so I can use one SOCOM can on multiple rifles.