SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    My Beretta 1301 Tactical Upgrades - Night Sights, Mag Extension, Etc
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Beretta 1301 Tactical Upgrades - Night Sights, Mag Extension, Etc Login/Join 
posted
I was looking for night sights for my shotgun. I was told that maybe Benelli M2 sights would work, so I order Meprolight Benelli M2 sights. Guess what? They fit!

The front sight does sit higher than the factory Beretta.
Also the Mep front sight didn't have as much thread as the Beretta, but I dont think that is an issue. They only took about 10 minutes to install. The only tools I used where a flat head screw driver and a 7/32 wrench.

I added a Mesa Urbino along with a Tau bolt release shroud a while back. I also just added a Nordic 2 round extension tube.

Quick question. Is the clamp really needed on the extension tube?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: am94pm,

Posts: 1217 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Obligatory picture of the snot bubblier added!

posted Hide Post
I don’t use the barrel clamp. Just a hassle to remove and reinstall when disassembling for cleaning.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I'm not an Operator, and don't Operate, so take my opinion for what it's worth, but I think mag tube clamps may not be entirely necessary on a lot of those shotguns. I had one on the 870 I built that I'm not sure really ever did much to actually brace it in place, and I've never had one on my FP6, and it hasn't ever really seemed to suffer from a lack of it.

Short of actual combat, falling down into ditches or trying to bash someone to death with it and have it work afterwards, I'm not really sold on the need for them anymore. Then again, I'm not an Operator, and do not even Operate.

That 1301 looks great. Wink

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
The clamp does two things. First off is it keeps the extension from rotating under recoil. Second is it gives you a place to hang a light or a sling swivel. I find the later of much greater use than the former.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
The clamp does two things. First off is it keeps the extension from rotating under recoil. Second is it gives you a place to hang a light or a sling swivel. I find the later of much greater use than the former.

Bingo. Agreed on both points. I have a Nordic Components mag extension and opted to pay to upgrade to the barrel clamp with the pic rail, which works nicely for my use.

Although I've never seen it on a mag tube fed shotgun before, I have seen the magazine tubes slide laterally on two Marlins (one which doesn't come from the factory with a mag clamp, the other which does but if not properly aligned and tightened allows the mag tube to shift.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Could I use some Loctite to secure the extension from rotating? I don't plan on mounting a sling and I will not mount a light like that.

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by am94pm:
quote:

Could I use some Loctite to secure the extension from rotating? I don't plan on mounting a sling and I will not mount a light like that.

You could. I took the magazine extension off my Benelli the other day and the tube unscrewed from the base, which is not supposed to happen. Just don't use red or you'll never get the thing apart.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks SgtGold. It's not that I don't have the clamp, but to me it just doesn't look right.

Yeah I figured I would secure the extension tube to the nut with some kind of thread locking compound. Who knows in the end I still may have to use the clamp.