SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Thinking we may need to spin off a Shotgun Sub forum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking we may need to spin off a Shotgun Sub forum Login/Join 
posted
My sister is married to a great guy who did 32 years in the USAF and now that he's retired all of us feel he is in need of a hobbie to get him out in the sunshine. Turns out that Lexington, Va where they live has a Shooting Clays range that he and my nephew went to an had a blast. Since I visit every summer I figured I'd pick up a decent O/U to take along with me to spend some time breaking clays with him.

Final choice was a CZ USA Teal which is a Cabalas specific version of he Redhead with a black chrome receiver and a squared off pistol grip. It's a bit tight but works well and the pattern testing showed nice even patterns without any "holes". Chose the 20 gauge for the lighter weight, less swing weight and because at 63 years old I don't think I would enjoy 50 rounds or 12 gauge for a round of Clays. Another factor in the choice of a 20 was due to the fact that my local Cabelas had lots of cases of 20 #8 Target but the only 12 gage #8 was individual boxes of Winchester or Federal with Steel shot at 9.99 per box. So, I get 20 for 8 bucks per box instead of 10 and it's gold old lead shot that I can actually shoot at an indoor range. While it may seem odd shooting bird shot at an indoor range I've found doing this is helpful in refining my sight picture and mount.

Anyhow as a total newbie to this type of shooting I would appreciate any tips that come to mind from those who have been enjoying this activity. Fact is that videos I've been watching on youtube have me thinking this is going to be lots of fun.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5643 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
a Shotgun Sub forum

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
I would recommend this book for some very excellent info concerning shooting shotguns. It helped me immensely when I was having issues.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com...FEAQYASABEgKacPD_BwE

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10908 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my buddies was very successful at trap and skeet. He told me that one of the mistakes most people make is not having their shotgun "fitted" to them. He claimed it made big difference in performance.
I would guess that most people wont shoot enough to go to this time and expense, but it bears some thought. He also said that like fly fishing, a shotgun shooting instruction course was money well spent.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
One of my buddies was very successful at trap and skeet. He told me that one of the mistakes most people make is not having their shotgun "fitted" to them. He claimed it made big difference in performance.
I would guess that most people wont shoot enough to go to this time and expense, but it bears some thought. He also said that like fly fishing, a shotgun shooting instruction course was money well spent.

agreed, with a caveat,

how far do you want to go?

got a gun, ammo, clays and a thrower,,,
then
random club events, do well

move up to
member of club and shoot all events, (scores getting even better,

then you find yourself traveling and competing every or every other weekend,
moving up from a 'starter' to a Kreighof or better, fitted etc etc, custom this or that

classes always help the beginner,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
The shotgun subforum has been discussed before, but it was decided against by Para and the staff. Probably not gonna happen.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post