SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Thinking of getting an AK
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking of getting an AK Login/Join 
Just mobilize it
posted
So I am a pistol guy through and through, but I do like shooting rifles here and there. I have a modded out AR and like it enough though I've always wanted a decent AK for plinking. Was gonna get a WASR though I had heard they had some issues. I have seen now that they offer a RAS47 for under $700, which based on some research seems like a decent entry level AK. What say you all that own AK's? I want a traditional look and do not plan to switch out anything component wise like I did with the AR.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:
So I am a pistol guy through and through, but I do like shooting rifles here and there. I have a modded out AR and like it enough though I've always wanted a decent AK for plinking. Was gonna get a WASR though I had heard they had some issues. I have seen now that they offer a RAS47 for under $700, which based on some research seems like a decent entry level AK. What say you all that own AK's? I want a traditional look and do not plan to switch out anything component wise like I did with the AR.

Stay away from the RAS.. far, far away.

He did a couple of videos on the RAS47. They look pretty on the rack at the LGS, but that's as far as I'd go with them.

I would lean toward a WASR and, ( if it needed some ) upgrade the furniture with something nice from Iron Wood Designs:

http://ironwooddesigns.com

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When you could get AK ammo at Gander Mountain for $2.49 a box, and that was a while ago, it might make sense. Now it costs more than .223. So screw that.

Posts: 4648 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The new production WASR10'S are awesome. It's the older models the interwebs don't like very much.
Def stay away from the RAS47.
The WASR also has furniture you can upgrade much easier and a chrome lined barrel if you care about that.
I have a 2015 production WASR with perfectly aligned sights. I haven't had 1 malfunction yet in 2 years and I have never cleaned the thing. I'm going to see how many years I can go without cleaning it before it ftf's.
I have seen $1k+ arsenals with canted sights and bad rivets.
Regardless of brand, check the sight alignment and check the receiver for dimpled or spaced rivets.
You should not see light under a rivet or have rivets denting or dimpling the receiver.
Hope this helps

Posts: 62 | Registered: June 10, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Right now the WASRs do seem to be the entry-level rifle of choice. There are other options out there, but they've had a spate of troubles (Yugo NPAP, PSA), they've recently become unsupported (DDI), or they've just been made available in quantity and no one's had them long enough to see how they hold up (Riley, High Standard).

By all means stay away from the Century 39 as well as the RAS, and run if someone wants to sell you an IO.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Right now the WASRs do seem to be the entry-level rifle of choice. There are other options out there, but they've had a spate of troubles (Yugo NPAP, PSA), they've recently become unsupported (DDI), or they've just been made available in quantity and no one's had them long enough to see how they hold up (Riley, High Standard).

By all means stay away from the Century 39 as well as the RAS, and run if someone wants to sell you an IO.

Agree 100%.
Looking back, I wished I would have just saved a few more bucks and gotten the VEPR I really wanted. I'll to still end up getting the VEPR one of these days.

Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
I remember long ago when AK's were super cheap and AR's super expensive. Now its the other way around. I have a couple Yugos and they do the job but as mentioned ammo is not near as cheap as it used to be either.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I could not get a satisfactory AK 2 years ago. It seemed like each model had more than one issue.

I picked up a sig 556R. Yeah it is not suported. I paid less than 700. Soooo..... it works perfectly.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Dang it looks like I'm looking for a WASR 10 now. I kinda like the cleaning rod and bayonet lug anyway, seems more of a purist AK. Any idea where best place to purchase is? Just been looking on gunbroker.

Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Just to add, what is the difference between the WASR and the WASR 10? I also read that they are not called the WASR 10 anymore but rather the GP WASR? It seems like the GP WASR does not come with a cleaning rod,but the WASR 10 does. And then I saw a WASR 10/63, what is that? I really don't know my AK's. I just want one that is closest to what was so popular back in the day.

Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I remember when you could get them for 125 bucks covered in cosmolene it would take hours to get that crap off. the lgs had wooden crates of them . then you could buy cases of ammo dirt cheap.

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
prices are good these days. enough to ponder the jump to DDI or arsenal:

no frills, and pretty good prices lately.

Posts: 774 | Location: FL | Registered: November 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dang it looks like I'm looking for a WASR 10 now. I kinda like the cleaning rod and bayonet lug anyway, seems more of a purist AK. Any idea where best place to purchase is? Just been looking on gunbroker.

I would purchase one locally not online. This way you can check for canted sights and proper reciever rivets.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Just from sniffing around, it appears the 10/63 may have been made with surplus parts, whereas the 10 was made from new parts specifically for the commercial market. If that's accurate, I'd go for either one - but you (IMHO) definitely want a cleaning rod just in case the odd steel case gets stuck. Either way, newest production seems like an easy way to avoid problems.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Well I just placed an order for a WASR 10 with Atlantic firearms. I see they already do a QC inspection and I added some requests so hopefully it will be perfect when it comes in. Thanks for the help guys! I almost bought a RAS so I'm glad I checked here first!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Just to add, what is the difference between the WASR and the WASR 10? I also read that they are not called the WASR 10 anymore but rather the GP WASR? It seems like the GP WASR does not come with a cleaning rod,but the WASR 10 does. And then I saw a WASR 10/63, what is that? I really don't know my AK's. I just want one that is closest to what was so popular back in the day.

Im not familiar with the gp model you mention. WASR 10 & 10/63, same thing pretty sure. It's says WASR-10 on my reciever. I would stick with 2013- 2014+ production model or later. Mine is 2015. I'm not sure of the exact year the Cugir plant in Romania started actually caring about their quality control.
Google probably knows what year they started putting out higher quality rifles than in years past.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Well I just placed an order for a WASR 10 with Atlantic firearms. I see they already do a QC inspection and I added some requests so hopefully it will be perfect when it comes in. Thanks for the help guys! I almost bought a RAS so I'm glad I checked here first!

Oustanding congrats on your new AK!!
if you're going to order online Atlantic is the way to go because of their QC check. Good move going Atlantic.

Now that you have an AK in route find yourself a front sight tool for AK\SKS. AK Operators union channel on YouTube has excellent videos on how to zero your AK iron sights and how to adjust your front sight post for windage and elevation.
ENJOY!!

Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
My choice would be a VEPR if I were just entering the AK market. Great quality and finish, and made in the same factory where the read deal military ones are built.

Come on in, the water's fine. But they can be addictive.

just part of my collection...

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AJRB:
quote:

Oustanding congrats on your new AK!!
if you're going to order online Atlantic is the way to go because of their QC check. Good move going Atlantic.

Now that you have an AK in route find yourself a front sight tool for AK\SKS. AK Operators union channel on YouTube has excellent videos on how to zero your AK iron sights and how to adjust your front sight post for windage and elevation.
ENJOY!!

I'll look into that thanks!

Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
My choice would be a VEPR if I were just entering the AK market. Great quality and finish, and made in the same factory where the read deal military ones are built.

Come on in, the water's fine. But they can be addictive.

just part of my collection...

Holy crap!!!!