SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    SIG 556 "Classic"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG 556 "Classic" Login/Join 
posted
In 2010 I purchased a SIG 556 Classic that came with the green furniture, it was supposedly a very limited release per my SIG dealer.
In looking to finance another project, the safe queen 556 may go to pay for the new project.
I'm not sure what the going rate is these days, I've seen the on-line asking price and two local SIG dealer prices. Not sure where to price it.
The rifle is complete, I think I threw away the two crappy magazines, the red dot sight, I have a sling and an additional spring and part kit.
The rifle has less than 200 rounds through it, these were Swiss GP90 ball rounds.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks

StarchedCover

Posts: 176 | Location: The Blue Ridge Mountains of NC | Registered: October 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Probably wouldn't go for much more than a normal classic. They are also no longer supported by sig unfortunately.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3583 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I sold my green classic about 2 years ago for 1k, depending on how you look at it he value today would be +/- 100.00 depending on who buys. Its my opinion the lack of support from Sig will drive the price down but perhaps someone who has a few already or lots of spare parts would pay more.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
the green "Classic" with Swiss handgrip was a SportsSouth exclusive. Buds blew them out at $899.

Does yours have the adjustable green stock or fixed green stock (Swiss-style lower, vs. M4 style lower)? I've seen lots posted as "556 Classic" that are M4 lowers with ODG Magpul stocks (which means they're mislabeled)

Prices are going up on these a bit but lots languish on GB at $800-900. If new or like new and green fixed folder, it'll likely exceed $1k.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
It may tell us something if you have the box with the Sig model #. Ex 556001, 556303.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 1990 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every used Sig 556 locally right now is around $800. Doesn't matter what model it is. Since Sig is no longer supporting them everyone is dumping them . They weren't bad guns but with no support people who shoot aren't interested in them. Occasional shooters still think they will be collector items but I don't see it. Grab the highest offer you get.

Posts: 633 | Location: PHILADELPHIA,PA,USA | Registered: October 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
JDI is supporting them with Swiss imports. Parts are not hard to get if you go through Gunfactory.ch as well.

Still...not as good as SIG supporting them of course.

posted Hide Post
I'm pretty mad at sig about the 556. But be aware it is nearly impossible to get small parts like springs etc. JDI doesn't have them. So If you can get out do it. Based on what I see for the market $800 is the baseline. Better than that act quickly.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
One is selling locally, listed at $875. I was going to grab it but found this thread. I think ill keep saving.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Glad I sold mine in the post Obama gun rush of 2009. Nice rifle but I knew SIG wasn't gonna support them long.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
I do like mine. I only wish SigUSA gave it the love and attention it deserved. Having the QC of it's Swiss cousin and decent accessories out the door would have gone a long way. And the 551A1? Drool. But by the time the 551A1 was released, the 556 was doomed.

Too bad. Mine shoots great, and is a nice blend of AKs and ARs.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
As an owner of a Sig 556 Patrol that I've SBR'd, I'm not planning on dumping this rifle ever. Fundamentally, I love it, it is exactly what I wanted. But now I'm faced with obtaining parts to keep it running - I'd like to get a few recoil springs, etc to replace when they do fail. Any help to obtain these items?

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barndg00:
As an owner of a Sig 556 Patrol that I've SBR'd, I'm not planning on dumping this rifle ever. Fundamentally, I love it, it is exactly what I wanted. But now I'm faced with obtaining parts to keep it running - I'd like to get a few recoil springs, etc to replace when they do fail. Any help to obtain these items?

Buy another one as a 'back up'?? Wink If its worth having one, why not two?

Kinda like a 'parts kit' that actually shoots.

-----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The stone age classic I own is probably the best shooting black rifle I have owned in years. No canted rails or other issues. I bought a accessory pack from SIG when they offered them so I don't see any reason to dump same. IMHO.

Posts: 971 | Registered: January 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:

prt # 262. rolf and the guys at gunfactory.ch are great to work with. they speak english and can source whatever parts you need. shipping costs make it a bit impractical so order more than a single thing.

Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
quote:

prt # 262. rolf and the guys at gunfactory.ch are great to work with. they speak english and can source whatever parts you need. shipping costs make it a bit impractical so order more than a single thing.

As you have dealt with them, do you know if they have a package that you can order that is similar to SIG's former spare parts kit?

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I've seen a ton of parts on their site....you'd have to browse for it. If you use Google Chrome, add in the page translator to help you navigate easier.