SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    My new Hard Hitters. .35 Remington and .45-70
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My new Hard Hitters. .35 Remington and .45-70 Login/Join 
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
I sold a couple of ARs and a couple of ACOGs and I'm buying back some of the rifles I had in my youth and always regretted selling.

I just bought a Marlin 1894 .44 Magnum of which Post pics of. And I ordered a Marlin 336C in .30-30 which should be here soon.

Congrats!
Those are some great looking lever guns. I have just ordered a 1985SBL in 44mag, should be here by EOW and I'm eyeballing a 35rem in the near future. All accounts have that REMLIN has there QC issues worked out.

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I carried a .35 Marlin from age 12 to age 19 for buck hunting in Pennsylvania.

That was a lot of rifle for a 12 year old kid, but I got used to it!

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackwater:

Congrats!
Those are some great looking lever guns. I have just ordered a 1985SBL in 44mag, should be here by EOW and I'm eyeballing a 35rem in the near future. All accounts have that REMLIN has there QC issues worked out.

Thanks.

I have a Marlin 336CS .30-30 on order, too. Should get that, soon.

I also bought an 1894 .44 magnum. I bought it new-in-the-box but it's a 2016 production gun. It just sat around at the dealer for a long time. I got a pretty good deal on it because it never sold. But I didn't look closely enough at it before I brought it home. I had to send back to Marlin because after getting it home I discovered that a screw-head on the forend cap was broken in half, and the slot on the screwhead on the opposite side was cut so wide that the slot was wider than the screw itself. No doubt it was waiting to break, too.

This is how the slots on the forend cap screw heads were cut. The one on the right side was broken where the red line is:

Obviously, the slot has to be narrower that the screw body. This appears to have been a known issue for the forend cap tenon screws according to other forums.

All other screws on the 1894, and on the rifles pictured (including the forend cap screws on the 1895 .45-70) look perfect.

According to the Marlin website, my 1894 repair has gone through the "New" stage, the "Repairing" stage, and is now in the "Inspection" stage. I only sent it in the week before Thanksgiving. I hope to have it back, soon.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
I will be inspecting it closely when it comes in.

I had a Marlin 1894 in .357mag, made in 2012 that was very problematic. Luckily I got it cheap and didn't lose any coin when ridding myself of it.

I have Henry all-weather in .357 mag that replaced it and that is a fantastic gun.

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post