SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Help me Identify my mew to me M1A
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me Identify my mew to me M1A Login/Join 
posted
So I traded a buddy my AR and some cash for his M1A, he got it used and wasn’t too sure exactly what kind it was. It’s a standard length rifle in a green synthetic stock. The front sight is a trijicon tritium sight. The front of the rear peep sight has an “N” and an “M” stamped on the front of it. Does this mean it’s a national match? It looks like a standard M1a to me, but the trigger on it is very nice and light, but the barrel is parkerized

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you call SAI, they will be able to tell you when and how your M1A left the factory.

SAI also seems to have put their NM apertures in non-NM rifles. I believe they were also available as an accessory.

Is your barrel marked at all?

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never had a bad trigger on a Springfield M1A.

Posts: 381 | Location: East Texas | Registered: June 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I’ve done some more digging, there’s no way it’s a national match but I’m thinking if anything it may be a loaded model

Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I don’t see anywhere where the OP mentioned it was a Springfield.

Can you post pics?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a national match rear sight. If so, it should have a rotating hood on the aperture itself, not just a fixed aperture. The hood gives you 1/2MOA adjustment when rotated 180 degrees (the elevation knob clicks are worth 1MOA).

Standard rear sight:

NM rear sight:

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s a Springfield, and the sight looks like the one in the top picture but it has the n on the left and m on the right roll marked into it, no hood. The trigger definitely feels like it’s not stock unless the standard model really just has a damn good trigger

Questions = Harassment
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:

Can you post pics?

He did say it's an M1A

Posts: 370 | Location: VA | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
Sounds like a national match rear sight. If so, it should have a rotating hood on the aperture itself, not just a fixed aperture. The hood gives you 1/2MOA adjustment when rotated 180 degrees (the elevation knob clicks are worth 1MOA).

Standard rear sight:

NM rear sight:

SAI made/sold non-hooded "NM" marked apertures though I don't believe they were marked with the hole diameter like the early type USGI NM non-hooded apertures were. Been a while since I had one in hand.

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mettlepig:
quote:

Can you post pics?

He did say it's an M1A

While technically that should mean Springfield, many people incorrectly use the term for any M14/M1A.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I figured it out, it’s a loaded model

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
While technically that should mean Springfield, many people incorrectly use the term for any M14/M1A.

Ditto ... just like anyone referring to their "AR15" should be a Colt.

limblessbiff ... congrats, that doesn't mean someone, somewhere at sometime hasn't worked on the trigger ... the loaded M1A has been around for a long time, IIRC it was the late 90's when I bought one new.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s not an old gun, it has that shitty Springfield polymer stock which is being replaced by a GI fiber glass stock that I’m gonna reinforce the forend and cerakote