SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AF Times: "The Air Force is arming pilots with this longer-range, stand-off rifle to use if they’re ever shot down" UPDATED 13 MAY 19
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AF Times: "The Air Force is arming pilots with this longer-range, stand-off rifle to use if they’re ever shot down" UPDATED 13 MAY 19 Login/Join 
posted
The link has a photo of the GAU-5A, which will "...be included in the survival kits of A-10, B-1, B-2, B-52, F-15C, F-15E, F-16 and F-22 aircraft."

https://www.airforcetimes.com/...Early%20Bird%20Brief

The Air Force is arming pilots with this longer-range, stand-off rifle to use if they’re ever shot down

By: Kyle Rempfer   14 hours ago

The Air Force isn’t necessarily known for its small arms programs, but aircrews are about to get a longer range stand-off rifle to use if they are ever shot down behind enemy lines.

The weapon is officially named the GAU-5A Aircrew Self Defense Weapon. It’s a variant of the M4 carbine with a modified quick-release barrel designed by Cry Havoc, according to Maj. Docleia Gibson, an Air Combat Command spokeswoman.

“The [GAU-5A] and four full magazines, 30 rounds [each], must all fit in the ejection seat survival kit,” Gibson said in an emailed statement. “This has driven the dimension of 16 x 14 x 3.5 inches.”

That design gives pilots 120 rounds — about two magazines shy of a full load-out on a ground troop’s personal kit — during an evasion scenario.

The unique barrel design can reportedly be assembled and fired in 60 seconds with no tools, “even in low light,” according to Cry Havoc’s website.

The assembly does not require a user to line up any tiny, hard-to-find gas access holes with a gas tube on the rifle, nor does it require a twist of the system. The rifle simply has a pair of quick releases where the barrel meets the main assembly.

Like the M4 carbine it is based off, the GAU-5A is a semi-automatic carbine capable of a three-round burst. It uses a standard 5.56mm round with an effective range beyond 200 meters.

“The [GAU-5A] is designed for all combat-coded ejection aircraft,” Gibson said.

That means it will be included in the survival kits of A-10, B-1, B-2, B-52, F-15C, F-15E, F-16 and F-22 aircraft.

The GAU-5A is being built and converted by the U.S. Air Force Gunsmith Shop at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas. In total, 2,137 weapons are expected to be fielded, Gibson said.

The weapon is being produced at a rate of 100 per week, but some weapons are already in use, stowed away on-board aircraft.

Prior to the introduction of this weapon system, pilots who found themselves in a downed-aircraft scenario were forced to rely on their personal sidearm for self defense.

Earlier this year, a Russian pilot’s Sukhoi-25 ground-attack aircraft was shot down over Idlib province in northwestern Syria. The pilot survived ejection, but died in an ensuing ground fight with Syrian rebels.

Such an event is rare given the lack of air-to-ground weapons used by insurgent forces in Iraq, Syria and Afghanistan, but it does highlight the dangers these conflicts still pose to aircraft providing close-air support, particularly strafing runs, for friendly forces.

That danger was evidenced by a recent Distinguished Flying Cross citation for an A-10 pilot who dodged “accurate surface-to-air fire” while providing close air support for U.S. troops fighting in Syria in January.

As the U.S. military prepares for an era of great power competition with more powerful state-level air forces, like those of Russia and China outlined in the 2018 National Defense Strategy, the threat to aircrews may be returning to the spotlight.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sigmund,

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
We would have appreciated the addition in the Navy when we were doing stuff over Afghanistan, Iraq, and other undesirable places.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
Pretty neat... a buckle on barrel Big Grin

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
For $350 you can buy the kit to retrofit your own rifle. Might be tempting for someone looking for the ultimate compact "pack gun".

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
Ok, that's pretty damn cool.

Posts: 12537 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only thing I miss about the USAF:
My GAU-5.
The new one looks even better!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Maybe don't fly vulnerable aircraft in dangerous roles?

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Maybe don't fly vulnerable aircraft in dangerous roles?
WUT?

“The [GAU-5A] is designed for all combat-coded ejection aircraft,” Gibson said.

That means it will be included in the survival kits of A-10, B-1, B-2, B-52, F-15C, F-15E, F-16 and F-22 aircraft."

posted Hide Post
IIRC, the USAF pulled the M-4 rifles out of the seat kits due to them having a habit of "disappearing". For the new rifles to be in the seat kits, they would only be installed for combat missions, and the seat kits would have to be sealed in a way that would prevent tampering, while allowing the seat kit to open after bailout.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Neutron:
IIRC, the USAF pulled the M-4 rifles out of the seat kits due to them having a habit of "disappearing". For the new rifles to be in the seat kits, they would only be installed for combat missions, and the seat kits would have to be sealed in a way that would prevent tampering, while allowing the seat kit to open after bailout.

Time for another job specialty for the USAF, or promote the guys from "Bird Shit Scraper" up to "Seat Kit watcher".

Wink

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
[T]he GAU-5A is a semi-automatic carbine capable of a three-round burst.

Slide fire or bump stock? I guess those BS media reporters have been right all along. Wink

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just to be clear, I was referring to the M4 Survival Rifle from the 1950's/60's. It was intended to take small game in a survival situation. Chambered in .22 Hornet, it had a 14" barrel.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Upon reaching out to the Air Force, they confirmed to us that the barrel system they are using in the ASDW is the Quick Release Barrel (or QBR) from Cry Havoc Tactical.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/...self-defense-weapon/

I thought they were being sued over the design, too, but I couldn't find the cite.

At any rate, I've been holding off on doing a carbine with this system but Cry Havoc did tell me that there was no reason why it wouldn't work with a 7.62x39.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
What's the company that makes the one that twists/turns off? I played with it at a show and thought it was a cool idea, but couldn't think of any real use for it for most people. (where just buying a second upper would cost less)

I can see it being useful for something like this though, where packing it as small as possible, especially as an SBR works well.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quiet observer
posted Hide Post

Posts: 985 | Location: Pocatello, Idaho | Registered: March 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Leave it to the AF to redesign the quick take down system that was already on the GAU-5. Roll Eyes

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigmule
posted Hide Post
3,2,1...oh boy, I smell Clone fever over at ARFcom...

Well it is a decent example of KISS, I’ll give it that.

Posts: 2330 | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
Why not just push the forward pin out and separate the upper/lower hence the same thing for $349 less?? Are they really trying to say levers and lining up everything is a better mouse trap? It looks just like a regular SBR, solution to nothing IMO or am I missing something.....

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke

Posts: 533 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigmule
posted Hide Post
quote:
am I missing something.....

Clearly you don't see the "whiz-bang!" factor! Big Grin

Posts: 2330 | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
yer right Mule!! Eek

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke

Posts: 533 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post