SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    6.8 SPC barrel recommendations
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.8 SPC barrel recommendations Login/Join 
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted
I’m having a hard time finding the right barrel for a 6.8 upper I’d like to build. Ideally I’m looking in the 10.5” to 14.5” range. It will be an SBR. There are a couple of makers I’ve found, but I know nothing about them.....and I hate buying blindly without recommendations. So far I have seen Bison Armory, White Oak, theres Wilson Combat...and that’s about it. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 8.5" Bison. I have a couple hundred flawless rounds through it. It does everything I need it to do. I have it on a pistol platform, which I have not shot for accuracy, yet. I am very happy with this product and would buy again.

I highly recommend looking at AR Performance barrels and BCG's. Excellent quality and service. I have a 16" with his custom chamber design. This rifle will shoot sub-MOA all day with factory ammo. The range owner (and AR hater) challenged me to hit his 300 yard 3" round plates. This rifle crushed that challenge. I would difinitely buy again.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Very good, thanks for that! Would you consider the AR Performance barrels a step up from Bison?

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Based on what I have read on 68Forum, the AR Performance (ARP) barrels are full custom and considered to be amongst the very best 6.8 SPC II barrels on the market. I do not know who manufactures the barrels, but they are made to :-ARP specifications. My example shoots 1/2 MOA or better with factory ammo.

The Bison Armory barrels are very good. My sample size of one has excellent machining and finish. I have an Romeo 5 mounted on this pistol, so I have not attempted precision shooting. Based on sighting the pistol in, I believe it is ~ MOA accuracy.

You should note that there is a big difference between the two manufacturers. The AR Performance barrels are all 1:11 or 1:11.25 for full velocity rounds. The Bison 10.5" and 12.5" are both 1:7 rifling to allow stabilization of heavy for caliber subsonic rounds. They are also gas ported for the same. Thus, I would choose based on YOUR intended use of the SBR.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Excellent, thanks for that!

posted Hide Post
Good luck with your build.

Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
AR15 Performance, or ARP for short. I've got two 6.8 barrels by ARP and both shoot .5 MOA. I've owned or own ARP barrels in nine other calibers and all are that accurate or close to it. Great barrels.

Posts: 605 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
On my first build I got a 16" Rainier Arms (Shilen) Ultra Match and it shoot fantastic.
I have another barrel I bought a couple years ago but haven't built it up.
It is 18" and I thought I got it from Bison but the marking are WOA 04-14 S-11 6.8spc II.
So either they used a White Oak Armament barrel or I bought a WOA barrel somewhere??
Not worried about WOA as I have a 20" 223 that shoots lights out.

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the info guys

Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
I have an 18" Bison and it will do MOA at 200yd....shocked I could.

But the ARP Recon barrel is what I am looking at next.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one stripped lower marked 6.8 SPC in my safe. I bought the lower for a future SBR build. Now you got me thinking...
SBR suppressor host with thermal scope. Hog slayer! My wallet is going to hate you. Wink

posted Hide Post
Have both Bison and APRs. Lean towards the ARP

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post