SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Nightforce NXS 1-4, zero stop or capped turrets?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nightforce NXS 1-4, zero stop or capped turrets? Login/Join 
posted
Looking at picking one of these up for my 5.56 ar and needing some clarification on why you can get either capped turrets or zero stop but not both. Is one preferred over the other for general purpose shooting out to 200 yards?

Posts: 872 | Location: TN | Registered: December 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I don't have any experience with Nightforce (good stuff) but for 200 yards I would choice capped turrets. All your shots with 556/223 at 200 yards are easy holdovers, no need for the easy turn turrets that could be bumped out of zero.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With capped turrets the user is not expected to be dialing elevation. Zero stop has little value to the shooter.
With zero stop the user is expected to be dialing elevation. Turret caps have little value to the shooter.

For 5.56 using a low powered optic, either style works about as well as the other. Zero stop makes the most sense when the shooter is bouncing back and forth hundreds of yards between target distances, and desires precision impacts on all targets.

For targets no further than 200 yards, assuming the target area is relatively forgiving in size, it's probably best to zero at a chosen distance which minimizes holdover/holdunder issues and to forget about elevation turrets.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having never really used a scope before, thank you that makes perfect sense.

Posts: 872 | Location: TN | Registered: December 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
I have Nightforce scopes on my varmint rifles and have both types, ie, capped/zero turn. What was said above about not needing the zero stop for your application is definitely true plus you will probably save a few bucks not taking the zero stop option.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
If you set and forget your scope then capped turrets make sense. If you'll need to make constant adjustments then zero stop is the way to go. YMMV.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
I have 2 NF NXS 1-4X24 capped scopes on 2 of my AR's. I zero them 1.5" high at 100 yards which lets me shoot without holding over out to 250 yards on a decent sized torso target.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
What reticle are you buying? I don't think mildot 1-4x NSXs are very common these days, so capped turrets would be the best bet.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm liking the FC-3G reticle over the IHR reticle. While I stated general purpose is the role the scope will fill, I don't see hunting being a part of that.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hlb14:
I'm liking the FC-3G reticle over the IHR reticle.

The FC-3G reticle is designed for a 200 yard zero, with what should be relatively accurate holdovers out to 600 yards.

Not knowing your scope over bore height, your expected muzzle velocity, and the bullet you plan to use -- ballistics are a guess. But with a 200 yard zero, your first zero could be somewhere in the 55-65 yard ballpark, with Point of Impact no more than 1.5" to 2.0" above Point of Aim until the second zero at 200 yards. The peak of your Point of Impact above Point of Aim could be somewhere in the 120-140 yard ballpark.

With this reticle and your intended shooting distances, the zero stop feature would be a waste of money.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
I also recommend the FC3 reticle if you buy the NF 1-4X24 scope.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post