SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Love my Vortex Strike Eagle, except...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Love my Vortex Strike Eagle, except... Login/Join 
posted
The weight and maybe the size. BIG fan of the reticle. My brother Steve raves about it. In fact, I'll likely sell it to him with a good brother discount.

So, any recommendations for a better, lighter, and smaller variable power scope and keeping it under $700? And a similar, or at least not vastly different, reticle? I can't break the bank but I can buy-up a moderate amount.

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about the Vortex Viper PST 1-4?

Posts: 253 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: March 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
The PST is probably a little heavier. I've handled both but not at the same time I'm afraid.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
All the reasonably priced 1-4x or 1-6x scopes I've seen have been around 16-17 ounces. (Even the pricier ones seem to be only a couple ounces lighter.) An affordable one piece AR scope mount is typically another 8-10ish ounces. So together, you're pushing 1.5 to nearly 2 pounds for a mounted variable power scope.

Going with a fixed power 2x/3x/4x optic, either a traditional scope or a prismatic optic (ACOG or similar), should save you some ounces. Especially the compact prismatics.

A real ACOG Compact isn't within your price range, unless you happen to find a good deal on a used one. But Primary Arms and Vortex have some inexpensive 3x and 4x compact prismatic optics. They weigh ~16 ounces with the mount, which is only a few ounces heavier than something like an Aimpoint PRO red dot with mount.

And prismatics are much more compact than your Strike Eagle. Here's one of my ARs with a Primary Arms 2.5x prismatic:

A fixed power optic isn't quite as versatile as a variable power optic, but with the ACOG-like prismatics with illuminated reticles, you can use them up close in a similar manner to a 1x red dot after some practice. (Read up on the "Bindon aiming concept".)

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Leupold line up. There are several that might fit your needs and they are some of the lightest scopes around.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
If you want uber light in the 1-4 range, the Leupold Mark AR Mod 2 1.5-4x20 is the way to go - it's <10 oz. However, if you want a more durable 1-4, or move up to the 1-6, 17oz is the going rate. Maybe hit the arms a little harder? Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Posts: 107571 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input.

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just put a leupold 2.5x ultralight on my ruger. 6.5 oz, Weaver quad lock high 2.8oz (I'm cheap), or Seekins 1" rings 2.8oz. I figure it is good for ringing steel out to 300yds.

Ken

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I didn't think the Strike Eagle was all that heavy. Of course I mounted mine to a Sig 716 patrol. Roll Eyes

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
I didn't think the Strike Eagle was all that heavy. Of course I mounted mine to a Sig 716 patrol. Roll Eyes

My Razor weighs 25+ ounces.... LOL. Razz

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
quote:

Could you post a picture of this setup?

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2495 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As I stated, I like it a lot. And it has great value for what you get (which is a lot). I was just inquiring into an upgrade, something a little lighter, smaller, and better quality glass (ideally with similar reticle).

Thanks.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I run a Leupold AR scope on my Match rifle

http://www.cabelas.com/product...av%26WTz_stype%3DGNU

the first option, 1.5x4,

a friend of mine runs one as well, very good scopes,

I also have one of these, just to try it out when I get a chance

again, the 1-4x model,

another friend has one of these Leupold's,
it works fine, but the word hog hunter or something similar are printed on the big part of the duplex reticle,,, which is odd to me

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ditched my Strike Eagle after looking through the Primary Arms 1-6x24 w/ ACSS reticle. They don't really weigh less and are about the same size. They cost a little less than the Vortex, but the glass quality is significantly more crisp and a lot less edge distortion/discoloration. The reticle is similar, but to me it seems much easier to see and use. It just has a sharper look to it.

On YouTube, TiborasaurusRex did a fairly thorough review on these scopes - BEST AR/DMR Scope for Under $300 - Primary Arms 1-6x ACSS ~ Rex Reviews

Posts: 103 | Location: Texas | Registered: August 13, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
If you want uber light in the 1-4 range, the Leupold Mark AR Mod 2 1.5-4x20 is the way to go - it's <10 oz. However, if you want a more durable 1-4, or move up to the 1-6, 17oz is the going rate. Maybe hit the arms a little harder? Wink

Ah ... yep. That sum's it up.

I've had a couple 1-4x20 and just didn't think it was for me ... then I got a Leupold. Any other brand and I need a 6x but the Leupold just has the clarity and crispness that I don't need more magnification ... or maybe its just me.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pepsiblue:
quote:

Could you post a picture of this setup?

I didn't have one so here's a crappy cell phone pic of it sitting in my reloading area.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
Thanks!!!

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2495 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vortex just came out with a new version of the Strike Eagle. It's a 1-8x24 with a slightly different reticle and supposedly better glass. It's about 1 ounce lighter, not much I know, but maybe the higher magnification will make up for it.
http://www.vortexoptics.com/pr...scope-ar-bdc-reticle

Posts: 105 | Registered: November 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rlbuzz:
Vortex just came out with a new version of the Strike Eagle. It's a 1-8x24 with a slightly different reticle and supposedly better glass. It's about 1 ounce lighter, not much I know, but maybe the higher magnification will make up for it.
http://www.vortexoptics.com/pr...scope-ar-bdc-reticle

Wow on a $240 prices jump for that 6-8x Eek

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4576 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post