SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Trijicon MRO Input and Knockoff ID
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trijicon MRO Input and Knockoff ID Login/Join 
posted
Anyone have one? Any particular likes or dislikes?

I'm looking at a used MRO and while comparing prices came across knockoffs on EBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tacti...e:g:dL4AAOSw4YJZZJ6q

The pictures they show even have Trijicon on the side. Anyone run into one of these? Are they easy to distinguish from the real thing?

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I haven't shot with the one I've got yet, so unfortunately I really can't tell you anything useful about it.

Holding the MRO up the picture, though, it's hard to see any difference. The one thing that stands out for me is that there appears to be a seam running lengthwise on both the top and the bottom "bells" of the sights on the original. The knockoff is smooth.

The link below will take you to the MRO section of Trijicon's online catalogue. Scroll down to page 4 of 5. You can see the seam in the picture on the right if you look at the top of the sight between the front lens and the battery compartment/brightness adjustment dial. In the picture in the middle, you can see the seam running from just over the top of the lens up the sight body so that it's cut across by the arrow next to the word "up".

http://www.trijicon.com/resour...017_Trijicon_MRO.pdf

There is a long serial number at the bottom of the sight itself, too, which would be covered up when the sight is mounted on the base. If the guy's cool, ask to see the serial number, write it down, then call up Trijicon and ask if it's legit.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Nice airsoft knockoffs.
Good for doing demos with a blue gun.

I would bite the bullet and buy from a trustworthy place.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an MRI and really like it, the field of view is better than any other red dot I tried in the past. Easy to use and easy to set up, the only con is that it has a very small what I would call magnification but while in use I don't notice. I run some drills and practice with it and I like it better than Aimpoint.

Posts: 931 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Just looking at the cross clamping screws tells you it's fake.

Posts: 21101 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
For the price and PITA, why not just buy a new one for $400?

Or a Pro.

The time people waste buying and sorting through junk amazes me.

Or if you are going Chicom stuff, just go with Primary Arms. At least they warranty the shit out of their stuff.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

Or a Pro.

Or if you are going Chicom stuff, just go with Primary Arms. At least they warranty the shit out of their stuff.

Where do you see them for $400? Best I'm finding them for with mount is about $550.

The seller is offering a good price, but not a crazy low price and he is reputable seller on the local forum where it's being sold.

While researching them I came across the knock offs and couldn't believe they actually say Trijicon right on them so I came here to seek input on distinguishing a real from a fake in case the seller himself had been duped when he bought.

Thanks for your opinion though...

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:

I hadn't seen this as an indicator. Can you elaborate?

So far it sounds like the best indications are the mold marks on the body, and the position of the emitter.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
I haven't shot with the one I've got yet, so unfortunately I really can't tell you anything useful about it.

Holding the MRO up the picture, though, it's hard to see any difference. The one thing that stands out for me is that there appears to be a seam running lengthwise on both the top and the bottom "bells" of the sights on the original. The knockoff is smooth.

The link below will take you to the MRO section of Trijicon's online catalogue. Scroll down to page 4 of 5. You can see the seam in the picture on the right if you look at the top of the sight between the front lens and the battery compartment/brightness adjustment dial. In the picture in the middle, you can see the seam running from just over the top of the lens up the sight body so that it's cut across by the arrow next to the word "up".

http://www.trijicon.com/resour...017_Trijicon_MRO.pdf

There is a long serial number at the bottom of the sight itself, too, which would be covered up when the sight is mounted on the base. If the guy's cool, ask to see the serial number, write it down, then call up Trijicon and ask if it's legit.

Thanks for the input. He actually sent me a picture of the serial number, but on Trijicon's website they have a statement saying

" Please do not contact us to determine if a potential purchase is authentic. We can only determine authenticity if we have the product in-hand at our factory. Trijicon strongly recommends purchasing new Trijicon products from an Authorized Trijicon Retailer."

It seems like they would want to help, but it's probably a liability if someone used a legitimate serial number on a fake and they confirm it.

Picture of vincent317
posted Hide Post
Of the three red dots I own (MRO, Aimpoint Pro, SparcII) the MRO is my favorite. It has a bigger field of view than the other two, is lighter than the Pro, and does not have as much of a "comet" dot as the SPARCII (I have astigmatism). When I first got the MRO I was a little concerned about the "fish eye" effect and slight blueish tint when looking thru it inside my house. Once mounted and used outside, these two concerns became non-issues.

Posts: 593 | Location: NC | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:
quote:
Originally posted by cas:

I hadn't seen this as an indicator. Can you elaborate?

So far it sounds like the best indications are the mold marks on the body, and the position of the emitter.

just look at the photos in the listing. Those are not quality screws, the black coating is already coming off of them and it's never been on a gun.

Posts: 21101 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my MRO. Here is a web site that includes a mount and they have fast shipping for $493

https://www.americandefenseman...m/view/product/1066/

Keep Americans working, buy American made!

Posts: 709 | Location: western PA | Registered: April 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Refuse to buy Chicom shit, even stuff with Primary Arms or SIG name on them. I know these days, it is nearly impossible to live black and white, but every chance I get and know, I refuse to buy Chicom shit.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Questions = Harassment
posted Hide Post
LaRue has them for $493.00 also, with mount.

http://www.larue.com/trijicon-mro-qd-mount-combo

Posts: 370 | Location: VA | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Rule #1.

Don't buy optics on Ebay.

If you want to buy something made in China, buy something from a real company that offers a real warranty.

I have been using a Vortex SparcAR in some harsh circumstances and it has held zero like a champ. Available for under $200 with an integral mount. If it fails they will fix or replace it.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

Or a Pro.

Yup.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have three of them and deployed 22 of them on rifles at work last year. I have been very happy with all of them.

I bought from LaRue (except for one purchased here) because they sell for $493 with the LaRue mount of your choice plus dillo dust, LaRue hat, stickers, and LaRue install and adjustment tool. At the time, the $493 price was the same as Amazon with factory Trijicon mounts. Given the option, I'm going LaRue every time.

Posts: 5161 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I have an MRO and like it very much.
I have not seen any knock offs but I bet a good way to tell is the front lens on the MRO is very much noticeably canted.
Canted so much I thought mine was damaged. I contacted Trijicon and sent pics they advised it is supposed to be that way because of light refraction.
I am betting knock offs aren't canted.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25411 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one and love it. Traded a Smith 64 even for it at a good shop in Elizabethtown, PA. I'm good with the factory mount but I highly recommend getting the factory soft rubber cover. It protects the body and has clear covers for the glass. It was $55 from Midway.

Posts: 4657 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post