SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Colt or.Glock 9mm lower?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colt or.Glock 9mm lower? Login/Join 
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted
Looking to build a 9mm AR pistol for the misses, she shoots ARs better than normal pistols so I figured it made sense to have one for her in 9mm. Currently my 11.5" sbr with a AAC 7.62 is our main HD weapon.

The glock lower makes sense as I have a shit ton glock mags in 9mm but.....and it sounds silly, I prefer the looks of the colt lowers.
Opinions......any issues with either?

Also who do we like for colt pattern mags?

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
If you’re stocked in GLOCK mags I’d go that route. You’ll want some of the 30+ rounders just cause. I went with a Colt pattern CMMG and it’s been great. The Brownells brand 32 round mags are what I’ve used. The main drawback to the Colt pattern is the mags are a PITA to load, get a Maglula if you go that route. And the mags can be more expensive if you can’t wait for deals.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with you, the Colt pattern does look better. That being said I went Glock just to keep it simple as I already owned a bunch of Glock 9mm mags.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Colt !

You'll get to look at more than you'll get shoot it. Wink

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I have a Colt and really have no regrets - but at the time I wasn't carrying Glocks, so if I was to buy it now I might go that way, assuming they have all the bolt hold open issues worked out.

My DDLES lower / YMH SBR upper has been a peach, about 1500 rds through it, all suppressed - it's like a paintball gun and reliable.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Colt. No contest.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2318 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As I read this thread it again lights the fire that makes me wanting to take one of my multi-caliber AR registered SBR lowers and put together a 9mm AR. Two questions please to this knowledagble group.

1- what is the difference between a top drop in vs.a bottom insert unit?

2- What is the most reliable brand for the dedicated conversion block?

Thanks.....Mark

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chino101
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Colt, just because it looks better.

Posts: 510 | Location: Maryland | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
Go Colt!

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lugerguards
posted Hide Post
Having a stockpile of Glock magazines I went that route. Used all PSA and she runs like a top!

Nothing here to see!

Posts: 1865 | Location: Will County, Illinois | Registered: October 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarmsp226:
As I read this thread it again lights the fire that makes me wanting to take one of my multi-caliber AR registered SBR lowers and put together a 9mm AR. Two questions please to this knowledagble group.

1- what is the difference between a top drop in vs.a bottom insert unit?

2- What is the most reliable brand for the dedicated conversion block?

Thanks.....Mark

Buy a dedicated lower! I bought a block with the same thoughts as you.
I now have a dedicated lower because it was more of a hassle than it was worth to pull the block.

But to the original question I prefer the Colt.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25411 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redrider1596
posted Hide Post
Glock. Easy to extend for high capacity. I'm running a glock 33 round mag with a Taylor freelance +10...mag holds 41 rounds and perfect reliability.

Posts: 321 | Location: Rio Grande Valley, TX | Registered: March 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sourkraut
posted Hide Post
I went CMMG Colt dedicated. The mags can be had at decent prices if you watch and wait. Zero problems.

"Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Louis

Posts: 591 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+2 on the CMMG dedicated lower. No anchor pins and drilling of holes nor do you have to slide in from the top and hope everything lines up.

Posts: 971 | Registered: January 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I have a PSA Glock mag dedicated lower with a PSA 16" 9mm upper. My son, FIL, BIL, and I put about 400 rounds though it this weekend...nasty, dirty lead reloads...and it shot them all with only one single hickup (a light strike on one round that fired when I cycled it back through the gun).

The Glock lower is pretty nice. Mags fit well and drop free, including the cheap magpul Glock mags. The mag release is a little less positive than I'd like, and it can be kinda hard to seat a full mag, but I think that's more a mag issues than anything.

I got mine on clearance, and it is one of the models that does not include a last round bolt hold open capability, but I think they offer one now that does, if that's important to you. I put mine together as a cheap range toy, so I figured I could live without that. For under $450 delivered, I've been very happy with it.

Posts: 8545 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I built mine Colt style. Mags can be had for $20 or less.

I have an MPX as well. I shoot the 9mm AR SBR more.

Both suppressed of course.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Colt 6991 9mm factory SBRs are about $1100. That’s what I would buy if I was in the market for a AR/9.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2318 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Colt ...Looks better and less problems. Both can be reliable but I see more guys have trouble getting the Glock mag version working reliable if the build it, but usually in the end both work.

Even though I have Glocks I went Colt for looks and trouble free out the box for my SBR build. Built it as a pistol and ran about 1500 rounds thru it before the form 1 was approved and another 3000 since with no problems. Plus like someone above said you can get 32 round mags for $20.

Posts: 635 | Location: PHILADELPHIA,PA,USA | Registered: October 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went Colt, twice. Dedicated PSA lowers both times. Only issue I had was the PSA lower and my Rainier upper didn't play well together. Worked great with q stripped Aero I had on the shelf.
PSA was selling colt mags for $12.99 with free shipping on 10 plus for a while. They can be had cheap if you are willing to wait.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2738 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rather than fiddling around building something I would just get a Colt sbr right out of the gate and be done

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post