SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Help me decide on a new bolt gun
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me decide on a new bolt gun Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have owned recently Remington, Savage and Ruger rifles. I gave my son the Savage. It shot OK, just didn't leave me warm and fuzzy. I quickly sold my Ruger 77 when I could not get it to shoot. I absolutely loved my CZ rifles. I had a 527 and a 452. They were beautifully made, wonderfully accurate and first rate guns. The CZ carbines come highly recommended from everything that I have ever read or seen. I would gladly buy another CZ. Also a fan of Tikka rifles.

Yeah, I used to have a couple of guns.

Posts: 434 | Location: North Central Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Angel King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BadDogPSD:
quote:
Originally posted by Angel King:
Mostly at 50 yards or less shooting steel. Once or twice a year shooting around 200 yards during desert trips.

50 yards is pretty close for shooting steel. Most recommend 100 at least.

I agree. My target is angled from the factory to splat the shrapnel downwards. It's still probably a bit close.

An eagle does not capture flies.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Between heaven and hell | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd buy the ruger out of the list you mentioned. Those gunsight scout rifles are cool and make a nice handy rifle that covers a lot of different uses.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the CZ 527 on your list, but I prefer my Ruger GSR to it overall if I had to pick one between the two.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 969 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Angel King
posted Hide Post
Your GSR is in .308?

An eagle does not capture flies.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Between heaven and hell | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jrams28
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by qxsoup:
CZ 527 Carbine. Available in .223 or 7.62x39. It is VERY handy.

What he said!

"This is my SIG. There are many like it, but this one is mine".

Posts: 397 | Location: Missouri | Registered: September 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the Ruger, with one hesitation. The standard rotary magazine, to use the technical term, "sucks." They have introduced versions that use decent magazines (AR15 in 5.56mm, Ruger Mini-30 in 7.62x39). I'd get one that uses the AI-Style magazines magazines. I'd choose one in .308 or 6.5mm Creedmoor (if available).

Posts: 693 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ruger Gunsite .308. There have been some models produced with an 18” barrel, which appeals to me. And the spacers for regulating LOP is a very big plus.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So....

Who realizes the OP started this thread 87 days ago, and hasn't posted to it for 86 days?

<< crickets >>

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would not go under 20 inches in a 308 bolt gun.

Look at some ballistic tables and see how far out you want to shoot before you decide.

Posts: 12657 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This scoped Savage Axis XP in 223 just went back in stock at PSA for $250. Sorry, no free shipping and no current rebate deal.

http://palmettostatearmory.com...2-223-rem-19228.html

A few years ago I got a very similar rifle from them for the same price but with free shipping and a $50 rebate.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post