SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Help me decide on a new bolt gun
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me decide on a new bolt gun Login/Join 
Picture of Angel King
posted
I realize two are in .308 and two in 7.62x39. The 7.62x39 will be very cheap to shoot while still having plenty of power and low recoil. But, the .308 is a must have at some point in life. It will however be louder, harsher to shoot and more pricy on ammo. Help me decide please and let me know why you chose it.

Question:
Out of these four rifles, which would you choose for general target shooting, cool factor and quality? I do not hunt, but want a handy bolt rifle that's easy to carry on hikes. I'm generally an AR shooter who wants to expand my horizons.

Choices:
Savage Model 11 Scout .308 stainless 18"
Ruger Scout .308 stainless 16"
CZ 527 Synthetic 7.62x39 16"
Ruger American Ranch 7.62x39 16"

Posts: 1080 | Location: Between heaven and hell | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
If you are going for a bolt gun, I don't see any reason to limit yourself to the power of a 7.62X39. That round has basically the same power as the old 30-30 lever gun cartridge, and a lever gun is lighter, faster handling and quicker cycling than a bolt. My point; if you are going for a bolt gun, go for the power.

Of the guns you have selected, I would choose the Ruger. I prefer Ruger's action with the three position safety and Mauser claw extractor. Ruger also has great fit and finish on their guns at the moment.

Savage have a reputation for being very accurate out of the box, but I have never particularly liked their fit and finish or bolt operation.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
i voted for the Ruger only because I don't like the rear sight on the Savage.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You could get the Ruger in 6.5 CM now. Gives you the range of the 308 and the recoil of the x39. Lots of decent ammo out for it now.

Ken

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
CZ 550? Set triggers are nice.

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy the Ruger. I scope mounted and sighted in a nephews in 308. I liked it well enough that I bought the first one I came across in 6.5 Creedmoor. With a 6x scope mine hit an 8" gong at 600 3 shots in a row using the reticles Mil Holdover. More than good enough for any reasonable hunting.

Both the 308 and my 6.5 shot sub MOA. It's a light handy rifle with an adjustable stock and removable magazines. There are several options available now for replacement magazines in different capacities. Really nice little rifles! :-)

For your first bolt gun I would recommend against the 7.62x39. Most of the ammo you can find for it is cheap blasting ammo. With a 308 you can find cheap blasting ammo but you can also find superb hunting and match ammo for it.

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Angel King
posted Hide Post
Good responses. Please keep them coming.

An eagle does not capture flies.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Between heaven and hell | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
CZ 527 Carbine. Available in .223 or 7.62x39. It is VERY handy.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Angel King
posted Hide Post
I really want to get my hands on the new synthetic stock 527 with threaded barrel. Looks like a good contendor.

posted Hide Post
I would look at the Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM. Has a heavy barrel which I like for target shooting and is less expensive than the Ranch 7.62x39 you listed. Plus ammo is generally more accurate as well. 7.62x39 is not known for being an accurate round. It can be but that is the exception rather than the rule.

http://ruger.com/products/amer...specSheets/6973.html

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Angel King
posted Hide Post
No on the 6.5 please.

Way too expensive for none reloading.

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the M77. I love Mauser actions, and the laminate stock is nice.

I see no point in 7.62x39. It is underpowered and will not bring out the capabilities of a bolt gun. A comparison has been made to the 30-30, but I will postulate that the 7.62x39 is less useful, since the venerable 30-30 has the ability to lob 170 grain bullets.

The 308 is worlds above the Soviet round in usefulness.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m saving to get a Q The Fix as my next bolt gun.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Angel King
posted Hide Post
Having several AK-47s, along with three M4's, I don't think it would be wise to get a bolt rifle in 762x39, considering I don't own a .308

As of now I am strongly leaning towards the M77, but will still have to handle this Savage and the CZ to see what feels best to me. I appreciate all of your advice and comments. I will update you after my trip to the local gun store tomorrow.

Picture of Angel King
posted Hide Post
So I went down to the shop and handled the rifles. For one, the CZ was way too small for me. It felt like a youth rifle so I won't be going there. The choice came down to the two . 308's.

In person, the Ruger M77 felt higher quality than the Savage. I can easily live with the Savage, but between the two, it loses out. The Savage magazine also felt cheap.

So it will be the Ruger Scout .308 synthetic. I will however replace the factory compensator with the M4-72 comp.

Thanks for your time and advice friends.

posted Hide Post
One source for spare mags:

http://accurate-mag.com/magazines/

I haven't tried the PMag AICS mags in mine but I'd bet they'll work well.

Name brand Accuracy International mags work great but are more expensive.

Good Luck with your New Rifle!! :-)

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Angel King
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I think I'll order one ten round Pmag and one polymer five round Ruger mag for bench work. I see myself chamber loading one at a time while slow firing.

Regarding ammo, I got two cases of Wolf 145gr. .308 for $334 delivered. I figured that will last forever in a bolt gun I'll shoot 50 rounds a trip max. I did a bit of research and most said steel casings are even less an issue in a bolt rifle.

In case you're interested. Ammodepot.com

500 round case of Federal brass American Eagle 55gr. .223 for $162 delivered.

Due to free shipping over $200.

posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what 'general target shooting' means to you. But if accuracy is in the list then that wolf is not the ticket.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Angel King
posted Hide Post
Mostly at 50 yards or less shooting steel. Once or twice a year shooting around 200 yards during desert trips.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Angel King:
Mostly at 50 yards or less shooting steel. Once or twice a year shooting around 200 yards during desert trips.

50 yards is pretty close for shooting steel. Most recommend 100 at least.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1210 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post