SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    DIY Painting of AR-15 Lower Reciever and Upper Reciever
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DIY Painting of AR-15 Lower Reciever and Upper Reciever Login/Join 
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted
Thanks to the ridiculous sales that Primary Arms is having, I’m finally getting around to putting my build together from the parts that I purchased on Black Friday...

I’m thinking of doing something different with one of the builds...a themed build if you will.

I want to paint the upper and lower a silvery gray color...I know nothing about painting these components in regards to what paint to use to ensure it looks good and lasts...any tips? Should I even try this?

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
DIY = duracoat

Personally I would look into someone to professional do it in cerakote...

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Brownell's Aluma-Hyde. I will be painting a lower, hand rail, stock, etc. this weekend with Aluma-Hyde.

If you follow the directions, it is a very durable finish. It must be allowed to cure properly. It comes in several colors.

I've done several stocks, grips, etc. with it over the years and have been completely satisfied.

https://www.brownells.com/guns...yde-ii-prod1117.aspx

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Interesting! I’ll check it out, thanks!

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CandyMan.45:
DIY = duracoat

Personally I would look into someone to professional do it in cerakote...

Cerakote isn't that much harder or costly.
It is substantially better than Duracoat.
Everything is in the prep > which means a media blast of the metal then coat then heat cure.
OK it is a bit harder. Frown

Posts: 22895 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
DuraBake is heat cured version of DuraCoat.
I like it better.

Here's one I did a couple years ago.
ASU Green DuraCoat

I use DuraBake on my grey metal mags and this Akbar.

I've switched up to Ceramic Coating.
I did this FDE on my 6.5 Grendel build.
It's a Wheeler product.

I'd go Ceramic if you have an oven large enough to heat cure the parts

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
^^ Nice work, Grumpy. Wink

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Very nice grumpy! Thanks for sharing.

Do you have to strip all the paint off the parts before painting it with your new color?

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
No, removing all the factory Coating isn't recommended.
Some products directions require a certain grit / texture for best performance.
Media blasting will produce a texture (K-Bar blade in photo) for the DuraCoat & DuraBake to adhere to.
The Wheeler Ceramic coatings don't require it (I'm told only if it's new ).
Just a degrease as the factory textured finish is enough.
My 6.5 Grendel is getting light use so it's certainly no torture test but it's holding up perfectly.
Sadly they do not offer silver or even light grey.

If you don't have a media cabinet you can use a hopper gun from Harbor Freight .
You'll lose all your media vs a cabinet that collects & reuses it but for small or infrequent projects it's no loss.

Just a compressor to run it.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post