SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Replacement Stock for AR
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Replacement Stock for AR Login/Join 
Picture of Sourkraut
posted
I just mounted a Vortex Strike Eagle on my 223 and I would like to change out the Magpul stock for one with a better cheek weld. Without spending a fortune, what options would you suggest for my needs?

"Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Louis

Posts: 591 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
If you are using a MOE/CTR stock, Magpul makes a cheek riser...

LINK

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Magpul riser on my SIG556 which is great. The AR platform precludes using it since the charging handle will strike it when drawing backwards on same

Posts: 971 | Registered: January 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KHolm
posted Hide Post
Luth AR MBA-3. I have 3 now, and they're the cats ass. Not sure what "break the bank" equates to, but for less than $150 still cheaper than a PRS and fits any tube.

Isaiah 54:17 - No weapon formed against us shall prosper....

What do I want? A time machine.
When do I want it? Irrelevant.

Posts: 1820 | Location: Central Iowa CAPTIVE | Registered: January 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
The BCM Gunfighter Mod 0 SOPMOD is a great stock for the money.

Exceptional cheek weld (though not a raised comb) and ultra tight fit to a mil spec tube. No rattles here.

It's what I equipped my most recent lower builds with.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
If a raised comb is needed then larue sells a riser for the ctr stock that moves with the charging handle. Outsude of that, I'd say a b5 sopmod or voltor imod (if you don't have a beard). Plenty comfy for both.

What mount are you using in the scope? I never had an issue with height with any of the one piece ring/mounts.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Define what you mean by better cheek weld, please?

If you want more material to put your cheek on the LMT and B5 SOPMODS and IMODS/EMODs have a lot of room. The B5 bravo is a personal favorite. The new BCM looks interesting too, I gave one to my brother to try out.

If you want a higher check weld then try the risers mentioned above. LMT also has an adjustable comb height stock the DMR556 that can go on a carbine receiver extension (buffer tube). It is a bit expensive.

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sourkraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
Define what you mean by better cheek weld, please?

If you want more material to put your cheek on the LMT and B5 SOPMODS and IMODS/EMODs have a lot of room. The B5 bravo is a personal favorite. The new BCM looks interesting too, I gave one to my brother to try out.

If you want a higher check weld then try the risers mentioned above. LMT also has an adjustable comb height stock the DMR556 that can go on a carbine receiver extension (buffer tube). It is a bit expensive.

I'm using a Burris PER mount but I like more material to weld to than my current stock supplies. Height is ok.

Posts: 591 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sourkraut:

I'm using a Burris PER mount but I like more material to weld to than my current stock supplies. Height is ok.

Got it. Then look at the:

Vltor Emod and Imod. I owned the EMOD and it was quality with plenty of space for a good weld.

B5 Bravo and Enhanced SOPMOD. I prefer the Bravo, good check weld, no storage, good price. The SOPMOD is good too, but I don't need storage.

BCM SOPMOD, it has lots of cheek weld, but I don't like the QD placement.

Hope those help.

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sourkraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Got it. Then look at the:

Vltor Emod and Imod. I owned the EMOD and it was quality with plenty of space for a good weld.

B5 Bravo and Enhanced SOPMOD. I prefer the Bravo, good check weld, no storage, good price. The SOPMOD is good too, but I don't need storage.

BCM SOPMOD, it has lots of cheek weld, but I don't like the QD placement.

Hope those help.

Thanks, those look like great options to check out! What's your personal favorite in that group?

posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks, those look like great options to check out! What's your personal favorite in that group?

The B5 Bravo. I combines light weight, decent latch, plenty of cheek room, a QD where I like it and it's a good price.

The late Pat Rogers pointed them out in one of his posts on another forum. I tried it, and purchased several.

I would recommend finding one you can try, before you buy. Different face shapes and sizes can mean totally different fits.

posted Hide Post
What magpul stock do you currently have? Is it a MOE or something else? I assumed you had a MOE or one of the thinner MAGPULs when I made my recommendations.

Picture of Sourkraut
posted Hide Post
Yes sir, MOE.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
If you do not object to Magpul as a brand, the STR, and ACR/ACR-L stocks also provide a wider cheek weld than the MOE/CTR.

I'm not a fan of the MOE-SL but it does have better cheekweld than the original MOE/CTR.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
B5 Sopmod all the way

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sourkraut
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I have the MOE-SL on my 9mm SBR, but I want something more substantial on my 223 like the suggestions offered.

Picture of Sourkraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:
B5 Sopmod all the way

Thanks!

posted Hide Post
Check out the Military Morons revieww of the BCM Stock. Link They have a picure comparing the BCM, SOPMOD and VLTOR stocks cheek weld.

Picture of Sourkraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Check out the Military Morons revieww of the BCM Stock. Link They have a picure comparing the BCM, SOPMOD and VLTOR stocks cheek weld.

Great review, thanks!

Picture of Sourkraut
posted Hide Post
Got the B5 Sopmod. Haven't been out to the range yet, but I like it already. Anxious to see how it impacts my shooting!