SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Inherited M1 Carbine
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inherited M1 Carbine Login/Join 
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted
My grandpa left this to me, and I know very little about them. It appears to be in good shape and is marked POSTAL METER on the rear of the receiver. It has the bayonet mount on the barrel. What can anyone here tell me about it?

Apologies for the crappy phone pics. It's all I had at the time.

He also left me a Remington Rand 1911 that appears to be nickel plated.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: flesheatingvirus,

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
OK.

Full Stop.

Guys.

Your M1 Carbine will not be identified and valued here.

This has become another "what is it worth" thing, and not just education/interest.

It is not a healthy trend, and it is over.

There is ample information available in print and already available on the web for identifying these weapons.

It is not appropriate to have others both do your homework and then give you a ballpark of the value, which is where this is headed.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
I am only interested in the details/history on these items. I have no intention of selling.

Thanks for re-opening the thread, Arc.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
National Postal Meter is one of many GI manufacturers. What is stamped on the barrel? Is the rear sight a simple dovetail peep or does it have adjustment for elevation and windage?

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3202 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
National Postal Meter is one of many GI manufacturers. What is stamped on the barrel? Is the rear sight a simple dovetail peep or does it have adjustment for elevation and windage?

Pics added to OP!

I wasn't able to bring it home since I had no way to take it on my flight (no case), so I will have to wait until Christmas to get it back in hand.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The serial number places it in the first production block of National Postal Meter carbines, which ran from serial numbers 1.45 million through 1.55 million from February-September 1943. So it's mid-1943 production.

The barrel maker and sometimes barrel date will usually be stamped on the top, an few inches behind the front sight.

It has been through at least one postwar arsenal refurbishment/upgrade (like most carbines), where the upgraded barrel band/bayonet lug, rear sight, and safety were installed.

Posts: 32489 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
Interesting.

Are quality magazines cheap/plentiful? I’m much more familiar with M14s. I figured there may be a GI magazine market and a hit/miss aftermarket for them.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Good quality USGI magazines, especially like new/unused ones, are getting pricey. Stick to 15 rounders, as even USGI 30 rounders are often iffy.

Aftermarket magazines can be hit or miss, but the new production KCI (Korean) magazines are good to go.

Posts: 32489 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
This is the kind of info I was wanting. Thanks! The 15rnd mags look a lot more normal to me than the 30s anyway.

Are there any potential problem areas to look at? It seems mechanically solid and functional.

What about potential upgrades? The safety is sure as hell stiff.

What was the purpose of the barrel band upgrade? It seems a bit silly to put a bayonet on such a rifle.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t swap parts on it if that’s what you mean by upgrades. My carbine has a bayonet lug and I’ve never obtained one that would fit it and it never made any sense to me, either. Honestly, if it didn’t involve pulling the front sight off, I’d have been sorely tempted to replace it with a type II barrel band.

You have a neat mix of features on your carbine, and I’d leave it exactly as it is. High wood stock, and two hole handguard, early features. I’d guess they’re original to it, as it was first issued. Flip safety and bayonet lug say it went through the rearsenal, so the {*Edit} magazine catch is likely the updated type for the 30 rounders as well.

Some like the Ultimak railed handguards so they can mount an optic, but for a carbine like that, it would almost feel sacrilegious to me. That’s a rarer make with some rare early features that aren’t easily found. Neat example as-is. Please don’t Bubba your grandpa’s carbine. It can be done without permanent modification, but what’s the point if you’re going to potentially use it for home defense and have it end up in a police locker?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P220 Smudge,

Posts: 17101 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
What was the purpose of the barrel band upgrade? It seems a bit silly to put a bayonet on such a rifle.

That was the purpose... to allow for mounting the M4 Bayonet.

Soldiers and Marines had been clamoring for a way to mount a bayonet to the carbine throughout WW2, so as the war progressed, the M4 Bayonet and accompanying lug were designed and introduced. Prior to that, servicemen had to make do with homemade bayonets that they rigged up themselves, like these early custom spike bayonets created by the paratroopers of the 509th Parachute Infantry Regiment in 1942:

Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
Cool pic! I think I’ll just leave it as is, though. Wink

I agree that adding a rail or optic would look a bit odd. I’m not looking to give it s big makeover; I’m thinking more functional. It will just be for sentimental value and use at the range.

posted Hide Post
Flesh-

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/universalm1manual65.pdf

Here's a great start.

They are fun lil plinkers! The Korean mags are good to go. I have 5 30rd ones, only 1 out of the 5 is "iffy". All my 15 rounds ones function flawlessly.

I like using grease on the rails, bolt and slide. But that's me. Others swear by oil.

A little WD40 / oil and some work, and that safety will smooth out.

Can't beat Fulton for parts and stuff! One of the first things I got was a mag pouch, sling and oiler.

https://www.fulton-armory.com/M1-Carbine-Parts.aspx

Have fun with that gun!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8333 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
Love the manual! I can't wait to get this thing back in my hands and strip it down to give it some thorough TLC.

Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
flesh,

Peruse this site. I found it while looking for information on National Ordnance, a civilian manufacturer of Carbines.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8096 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
Now that ^^^ is a good store. Plenty to ready when I'm on the can. (It's all I have lately!)