Null Login/Join 
Picture of dwd1985
posted
Null

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dwd1985,

Posts: 4454 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I'm doing the same this fall, but I went with an Aimpoint instead of ACOG on my 17, although I considered a TA110 - definitely get one of the models with the better eye relief.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I'm doing the same this fall, but I went with an Aimpoint instead of ACOG on my 17, although I considered a TA110 - definitely get one of the models with the better eye relief.

I'll second the eye relief. I had written off the ACOG due to eye relief. Last week I ended up with a TA11 in a trade. Was planning on flipping it but it seemed to have found a home on my AR15-A4 build.

My SCAR 17 replaced my M1A Scout and 716 DMR, it also allowed me to sell my FN SPR-A1 in .308. It doesn't necessarily best the previously mentioned guns in the roles they played but the 17 did all of them well enough in a lighter, cleaner and more usable package. The variable optic was key for me as I can use it at 1 power like a red dot and dial up to 8 for the longer ranges. I think it adds more versatility over the ACOG at the cost of not being "bombproof"...really the downfall of the LPVO. After getting the TA11 I've since considered the VCOG 1-6 as it adds a certain degree of protection vs a standard LPVO.

I'll get some pics of the TA11 on the SCAR tonight.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here’s mine with the TA11 with .308 recticle.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post

TA33R-9

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 10X-Shooter,

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put one on my 17 just for fun. IT sucked. Really sucked. I would either go with an aimpoint (which I have on one 17 and think is the right answer for anything I might do) or a real optic (I have a NF 2-10 on the other).
You might be ok and better off with one of the 1-x ones but I don't have any of those to advise.
But I'm pretty sure you will be happier with anything else.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dwd1985 sorry, not a very useful post. I used a TA31 (4x) in the issued mount. I shot it equipped that way in both local tactical matches (tend to be very short distances but often in low light) and a couple of rifle matches (distances <200y). I found that it was very slow with it at short distances compared to running an aimpoint, a combination of both speed to get the eye mounted in a good location and the reticle and its illumination. In addition I never really solved the issues of matching the illumination level to the environment in low light, especially while running a flashlight. And I know this is probably just a personal training issue left handed I never got even modestly successful with it (compared to a red dot). At longer ranges I really wanted more or less magnification depending on the range (this is of course a personal thing). In any case at longer ranges I shot better and faster with the NF. So I was thinking it might be a good compromise but it really didn't work for me. You may have better luck. I'm still looking to afford a good 1-x optics and I think that might be a decent do everything choice.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post