SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Rifle Competitors: Do you always wear eye protection?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle Competitors: Do you always wear eye protection? Login/Join 
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
I'm guessing it was a separated jacket off steel plate.

Can you tell us the firearm, caliber, and target distance?

5.56 on steel.

Rapid fire stage, don't remember the exact distance, but it was on one of the shorter stages, 25-35 yards.

I remembering thinking the impact was was sharp and hot. I don't know if my initial impression of heat was accurate because I didn't stay in contact with the fragment for that long. I just remember thinking to myself "I would expect sharpness, but not heat."

Does it happen a lot? No. Still not worth the risk of losing an eye.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Yes, short range steel definitely requires eye protection, especially with autoloading firearms.

And I’d be interested in what type of steel targets hold up without damage at such short distances with 5.56. I have an Action Target offering that positions an AR 500 plate at 45° to the ground and although it can be safely used at 50 yards due to the steep angle, the plate itself is still heavily marked with shallow craters. That’s the only steel target I use—or would consider using—at less than 100 yards with projectiles running 3000 fps or more. For short range rifle work when I want a reactive target to finish up a drill, cans of club soda or seltzer water (same stuff) set on top of 4×4 posts works well. Smile

I and my trainees shoot a lot of steel, but mostly with handguns or shotguns loaded with (lead!) birdshot. And to reiterate, eyepro is mandatory.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Never shot rifles competitively.

However, at indoor pistol competition, I was simply standing and watching the shooter standing approx 2 yds behind the SO when all of the sudden felt a sting in my forearm. I looked down and a copper jacket was hanging out of my forearm. It was lodged in good enough that I left it there while I retrieved the first aid kit and didn't take it out until in the restroom with all of the necessary bandages arranged on the counter.

Definitely a good reminder of why I wear safety glasses.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23199 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by El Cid 92:
a hang fire

Any information about the ammunition available?

No factual info available. The shooter was about 4 stages into the comp. So, I’m guessing 30-50 rounds deep. Many PRS competitors utilize custom handloads.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 862 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks for what you knew.
The only hang fires I have ever experienced (or even seen) were with my attempts at developing a much-reduced load for 7mm Rem Magnum. With those the hang time was short, perhaps a second, but definitely noticeable.

I assume that most such problems are also with handloads.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I wear glasses when shooting because I need close up corrective lenses to score, work the scope turrets, make repairs, etc. There is also the chance of a weapon malfunction or other safety issue. Also, I've seen jacket fragments fly 50 yards from bad hits on steel. It's rare, but better safe than sorry.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every match I’ve shot it was required. Even if it wasn’t I’d still wear it.

Posts: 270 | Location: NorCal | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
Always. About 15 years ago I destroyed the lens on a pair of RX Oakleys while shooting. Could have been my eye. Oakley was kind enough to replace them for free. Been a loyal customer since and have never not worn eye protection.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I used to teach in the military and eye-pro was required pistols, rifles or shotguns machine guns, what have you...

When I shot I always wore sunglasses, or on raining days I wore clear poly eye-pro..

Once they start fogging I did what Nikon does, move the glasses lower on the nose and then look over the top of the frame...

I don’t compete, so I didn’t vote.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post