SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    A new project, Ruger Mini-14 that spent a year in the North Pacific **CCR is AMAZING**
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A new project, Ruger Mini-14 that spent a year in the North Pacific **CCR is AMAZING** Login/Join 
Fight, Build, Destroy.
Sappers Lead the Way!!
Picture of Zacsquatch
posted
In 1989, my soon to be FIL was on a commercial fishing boat in the North Pacific out of Kodiak. They hit a reef and the boat started sinking. Eveybody hopped in the skiff in time, and they were able to get to shore. The owners decided to raise the boat the next year and thats when my FIL was able to find his mini-14 that he forgot in his haste.

As soon as they got it to shore, it sat in a drum of diesel for a few months. It has fired since coming back up, but has since been taken apart and put in a trash bag, with the stock thrown away. It was covered in mud on the deck of the boat, so that saved it from a lot of corrosion. All the major components are sound, but the barrel bore is the only questionable item, because pitting can be seen at the muzzle. It has sentimental value, and cost doesnt matter much, but he wants it nickel coated now too.

Starting with springs, pins and firing pin to be replaced. Also lots of TLC with a buffing wheel and sandblaster.

I'll update with pics as I go.

**Corrections, it was a boat leaving Kodiak, not Dutch Harbor. Rifle was blued.**

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Zacsquatch,

Trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up

Posts: 4597 | Location: Winchester, KY | Registered: December 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Now there's a firearm with a story...

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Some minor pitting in the bore isn't necessarily a problem. I have some old milsurps with rough bores that still shoot just fine.

Major pitting that compromises the barrel's integrity is a problem, of course.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fight, Build, Destroy.
Sappers Lead the Way!!
Picture of Zacsquatch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Some minor pitting in the bore isn't necessarily a problem. I have some old milsurps with rough bores that still shoot just fine.

Major pitting that compromises the barrel's integrity is a problem, of course.

As long as the thing can hit a pie plate at 50 yards, we will keep the barrel.

Posts: 4597 | Location: Winchester, KY | Registered: December 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I would submit this story to Ruger. It sounds like the gun held up well. They might want it for advertising and give you a new one.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
Can't wait to see some pics. Sounds like a fun and interesting project. What a story!

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:
Now there's a firearm with a story...

Agreed...cool story!

I also think it would be fun to share that story with Ruger.

Airplanes, cars, boats, motorcycles, and guns...restoration projects have a more meaningful impact when you can demonstrate how much work went into them. Be sure to get lots of BEFORE pics.

Looking forward to seeing pics of the project!

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fight, Build, Destroy.
Sappers Lead the Way!!
Picture of Zacsquatch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
I would submit this story to Ruger. It sounds like the gun held up well. They might want it for advertising and give you a new one.

I plan on calling them for a spring kit and rear sight.

posted Hide Post
A little pitting in a Mini barrel ?? May have actually improved the accuracy of my Mini !! Razz

With that kind of history I would be very circumspect about what changes I make to it.

Very neat piece of family history !

Posts: 1264 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
would like to see a before (stock on) and after

wondering how much the Salt Water affects Stainless.......

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fight, Build, Destroy.
Sappers Lead the Way!!
Picture of Zacsquatch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:

There's no pics of it before from the 80's, but I'll get a pic of it tonight in its current state.

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
That's a great story, made even better by the fact that it's a mini. Looking forward to photos of the rebuild!

Posts: 8420 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zacsquatch:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:

There's no pics of it before from the 80's, but I'll get a pic of it tonight in its current state.

sorry,
that is what I meant,
before (pulled from the sea) and after restoration,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
Wow, a real "I lost my guns in a boating accident" story.
Looking forward to seeing the restored rifle

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fight, Build, Destroy.
Sappers Lead the Way!!
Picture of Zacsquatch
posted Hide Post
Well I made an electrolysis tub and also set the ultrasonic up with some Evapo-Rust and then wire brushed the parts I'm having coated.

CCR is having a spring sale, so I just sent the receiver and a few other parts to get coated in CPII.

I also ordered a like new stainless barrel and gas block for Accuracy Systems and have had a half dozen orders through Brownells, Midway, Numrich and Ebay even. All new stainless pins, springs, extractor, ejector, side plate, HK style front sight, Tech rear sight and other goodies. He will be very pleased I think!

Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
Wow. I am amazed that the bluing protected the metal that well in salt water. Very cool!

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cummings Custom Refinishing
posted Hide Post
I guess you forgot to mention this story when you emailed me for a price?

Cummings Custom Refinishing offers Quality Craftsmanship at affordable prices. Fully Lic FFL's for over 30 years
OFTEN IMITATED BUT NEVER DUPLICATED
423-639-8924
www.ccrrefinishing.com

Posts: 5208 | Location: Eastern Tn | Registered: March 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fight, Build, Destroy.
Sappers Lead the Way!!
Picture of Zacsquatch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCR:
I guess you forgot to mention this story when you emailed me for a price?

I needed a rough estimate, and wasn't sure who was active on here. You have my CC card info, it cost what it costs. Razz I can't wait to see how it comes out!

That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Id consider replacing the corroded trigger pack components.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post