SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Question for Skeet/Trap Shooters
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for Skeet/Trap Shooters Login/Join 
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted
Do you keep your finger on the trigger before calling the target or do you handle it like any other firearm and keep the finger off the trigger until ready to shoot?

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Off.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
When the gun is mounted and pointed downrange, my finger is on the trigger before I say "pull".

Chris

Posts: 2331 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Wow... y'know how some things just become automatic? So automatic you don't even think about it anymore? That. I think my finger doesn't touch the trigger until I've acquired and started tracking the bird.

It's like when I'm pin shooting. My finger is off the trigger until the muzzle comes up and I begin to align on the first pin.

In neither case is it a conscious move/decision. It just "happens." (I actually had to stop and mentally visualize myself doing those things.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Yes, I think in the split second before I call pull, I move my finger to the trigger.

But at the call of pull, I AM ready to shoot. The first shot comes probably less than a second after I say pull.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i have never tried those release trigger but have been fascinated by the concept.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post
Most people mount their gun, move the trigger finger to the trigger and then call for the target.

I shoot about 10,000 trap targets a year and I have shot a release trigger for about 15 years. I mount the gun, focus my eyes, pull the trigger to "set" the release and then call for the target.

The release trigger is very smooth and is a good antidote for a flinch.

heathtx

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
When I call for a bird, my shotgun is already shouldered, I'm pointed at the house, and my finger is on the trigger. In that order.

Shoulder shotgun skyward. Roll at hips down onto target plane. Swing left/right as necessary to get ON target. Finger on trigger. "PULL!"

If I'm not shooting, the shotgun stays broke, usually on one of my shoulders, barrels in front of me so I know where they are.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
trap -- mount the gun, point it over the appropriate part of the trap house, gentle place finger on trigger, call for the pull

skeet -- pretty similar to trap, however may not always have my finger on the trigger for stations 3-5 when calling for the pull

sporting clays -- if I can mount the gun, pretty similar to trap
-- if the station's presentation dictates an unmounted or partially mounted starting gun position, my finger is generally off the trigger

FITASC -- given that all first shots occur from an unmounted gun, my finger doesn't touch the trigger until the buttstock touches my shoulder

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
Ran a skeet/trap range for over 20 years and was also an registered skeet shooter attending 8-10 matches a year and refereeing about the same number each year. From that experience I can say the majority of both type shooters have their finger on trigger when they call for the bird whether they shoot standard or release trigger. This seems counter to the way firearms are handled in other sports but it is not a problem. One thing to note, clay bird guns are only considered empty when they are open. When closed regardless of what is in chamber it is loaded and must be pointed down range so if the gun goes off no harm other than embarrassment (unless shooting a release trigger and they can be another story). Everyone on the squad knows the rules and acts as a safety officer. I've lost count of the guns I've knocked to the ground or seen knocked to the ground when a shooter has wandered the barrel out of the safety area. No club I ever shot at was bashful about requesting careless gun handlers to leave.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 876 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I was never a real serious clay shooter, but I did a fair bit of it. What I did depended on what I was shooting. If I was shooting my more serious guns, I'd be safety off, finger on (lightly) the trigger. With other guns, especially hunting guns I'd start safety on or hammer uncocked, finger off the trigger, with the gun at a low ready, not shouldered. It all depends on what you get out of it.

Heck, when I was shooting more 3-gun and shotgun matches my fun practice was what I called "empty gun trap". "Pull" with the bolt open and nothing in the gun. Port load, close and shoot. Smile

And... as far as "off the trigger till you're ready to shoot:, when you say "pull" you're ready to shoot.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I was never a real serious clay shooter, but I did a fair bit of it. What I did depended on what I was shooting. If I was shooting my more serious guns, I'd be safety off, finger on (lightly) the trigger. With other guns, especially hunting guns I'd start safety on or hammer uncocked, finger off the trigger, with the gun at a low ready, not shouldered. It all depends on what you get out of it.

Heck, when I was shooting more 3-gun and shotgun matches my fun practice was what I called "empty gun trap". "Pull" with the bolt open and nothing in the gun. Port load, close and shoot. Smile

And... as far as "off the trigger till you're ready to shoot:, when you say "pull" you're ready to shoot.

If your shotgun had a bolt, we already knew you weren't a serious clays shooter. Big Grin

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
When I call pull shooting trap, my finger is on the trigger.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:

If your shotgun had a bolt, we already knew you weren't a serious clays shooter. Big Grin

My favorite skeet gun was a short SxS 20ga with hammers. Really irked the snobby. Wink

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only have limited experience on the trap and skeet ranges, but out of habit my finger was never on the trigger till I was ready to fire.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:

My favorite skeet gun was a short SxS 20ga with hammers. Really irked the snobby. Wink

Nah, I'd be fine with that. I'm just not a fan of having hulls ejected at me while I'm standing there. Big Grin

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
My finger is on the trigger when I call for the bird.

Most everyone does it that way.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
When getting ready to fire - loading, mounting gun to shoulder, finger is along the side.

When I am ready to say Pull, finger is on the trigger.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I've shot on windy days when you shoot as soon as the clay leaves the house. If you wait to move your finger to the trigger it's sometimes too late.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Finger on the trigger when "pull" is called. Not a rule violation as you are ready to fire at that point, even though you haven't acquired the target yet. That might seem odd at first glance but it's not different than other shooting. For example, if you're shooting a plate rack with a pistol, you don't take your finger off of the trigger and move it to a resting place in between each plate. You are ready to shoot the entire time, even as you are moving from target to target.

But clay sports do have some interesting traditions. I think this has been talked about here before, but have you seen these?

Posts: 3424 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post