SIGforum
how available would a Sig 556 complete pistol upper be?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/6290076364

November 27, 2019, 11:55 PM
old rugged cross
how available would a Sig 556 complete pistol upper be?
Several years ago I ended up with a complete 556 pistol lower. How hard would it be to find a pistol upper for it?
Other option would be to sell the lower. But putting a tube and brace on it would be awesome. Thanks

"Practice like you want to play in the game"
November 28, 2019, 12:57 PM
Shackelford
Does the lower have an AR style buffer tube stock, or is it a Swiss style folder? The pistols were sold with the former, and lots of folks swapped them out with the latter. So, there are probably an excess of AR style lowers floating around. I’m not sure you’ll find a complete upper anywhere. I’ve never seen one.

I have two 556 SBRs, and have swapped the lower on one. I keep the spare AR style lower around in case I ever have to cannibalize it for spare parts. Not sure it is really worth anything otherwise.
November 28, 2019, 01:04 PM
old rugged cross
It is a complete lower. Just has a plug in it where a buffer tube would screw into.

It has value for sure. Roll Eyes

"Practice like you want to play in the game"
November 28, 2019, 03:44 PM
JoshNC
Honestly I would buy a Swiss 553 instead and use the hammer, trigger, and sear from the 556 lower as 922(r) compliance parts should you decide to sbr it.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald
November 28, 2019, 09:04 PM
kimberkid
quote:
Originally posted by Shackelford:
Does the lower have an AR style buffer tube stock, or is it a Swiss style folder? The pistols were sold with the former, and lots of folks swapped them out with the latter. So, there are probably an excess of AR style lowers floating around. I’m not sure you’ll find a complete upper anywhere. I’ve never seen one.

I have two 556 SBRs, and have swapped the lower on one. I keep the spare AR style lower around in case I ever have to cannibalize it for spare parts. Not sure it is really worth anything otherwise.

I did the exact same thing.

To the OP ... I used to see uppers and lowers separately on Gunbroker all the time, I've bought classic lowers then Xi lowers for my P556 and 553 and sold the ones I've taken off; on GB as well. I also bought a early DMR lower just for the FCG (its the AR style lower I've still got but now it has a standard FCG) to have an extra nice in my P556-SBR.
In every case I've more or less broken even ... however, now that the 556 is out of production they dont pop up as often.

I'd save a search on GunBroker and set it up to email me when one is lister ... then wait for one to pop up.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink