SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Scope Choices
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope Choices Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
That pretty much sums up my concern.

When I bought my March, they'd at least been around for 5 years and gotten pretty popular with the Benchrest crowd.

My March is 5 years old. I sent it back to get the reticle changed (older eyes) and they only charged for that work. Of course they cleaned the scope and adjusted a few things free of charge.

One must never forget that the warranty service is part of the price. Leupold is famous for their forever warranty, so something is cut to make up for that.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I bought my March in 2011, but started having kids about the same time and haven't done nearly as much shooting since then. Probably 1000 rounds through the rifle the March is mounted on.

Not exactly a torture test, but I've really enjoyed the scope.

Thank you for your thoughts on the optics questions.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, my March has seen close to 20,000 rounds in the last 5 years. It's on its 6th year now.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've looked through a handful of March scopes. Very good glass. I like the 10 MIL elevation turret, space between hash marks. 10 MILS gets me out to 1200yds plus with the calibers I'm shooting. What March is lacking is a good reticle for my game. Their MIL reticles are outdated, need to offer a simple Christmas tree reticle.

NikonUser it's great you have 20K rds on your scope. I doubt I would get that many rounds before a tracking failure. I've seen two March scopes go down in a match. I'm turning the elevation knob on most every shot. A few years ago talking with the Premier tech (who also has repaired S&B's....) said my game is tough on scopes, cranking on the elevation knob on every shot. Every one of my scopes that have failed were tracking/elevation turret issues, S&B, NightForce and Premier. I'm now to the point I'll trade off my scopes every two years. I've had scope failures in expensive entry fee matches, long travel.... it stinks! Most likely my next scopes will be the Minox 5-25/MR4 reticle.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Scopes with CA are going lack detail and depth. I was at a match a few years ago. Before the match we all took single shot at a playing card with a 1/4" bullseye/100yds. Best shot one something. Our shooter number was written on the card, maybe 1/4" writing. Two guys next to me could not read the shooter numbers using the two of the bottom list scopes. Easily read the numbers with my Premier. I told them where their cards were. fritz hadn't shot yet, I knew his shooter number, I put a round about inch off the bullseye on his card. Just kidding fritz, maybe Big Grin

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
Two guys next to me could not read the shooter numbers using the two of the bottom list scopes. Easily read the numbers with my Premier. I told them where their cards were. fritz hadn't shot yet, I knew his shooter number, I put a round about inch off the bullseye on his card. Just kidding fritz, maybe Big Grin

Yep, I remember that. I was tired as hell, wasn't drinking enough water during the day. IIRC hard wind from the left, more than full value. I had an NSX 3.5-15x at that time. Between lack of understanding wind values at 100 yards, sheepdip shooting, tired eyes, dust on the scope lenses, and optics quality -- I shanked the shot a good inch to the right.

I can still screw up the technique thingie, but the optics quality of the NF ATACR scopes changes the optics issues.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right now the best Scope FOR THE MONEY is a Razor II 4.5-27 At Eurooptics for $1749:

https://www.eurooptic.com/vort...rrets-rzr-42704.aspx

Might or might not be the reticle you want but the price is solid.

I certainly prefer a S&B PM II 5-25x56 but they are $3200 plus.

I have seen a few Sample Swarovski X-5's in your price range. GREAT glass, BEST clicks but are MOA so might not be your 1st choice.

But again, for the money it's hard to beat Eurooptics sale price..........dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I bought a Swarovski Z-8- 2.3-18x56 scope a few months ago. I'm VERY happy with it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: armored,

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
I've looked through a handful of March scopes. Very good glass. I like the 10 MIL elevation turret, space between hash marks. 10 MILS gets me out to 1200yds plus with the calibers I'm shooting. What March is lacking is a good reticle for my game. Their MIL reticles are outdated, need to offer a simple Christmas tree reticle.

NikonUser it's great you have 20K rds on your scope. I doubt I would get that many rounds before a tracking failure. I've seen two March scopes go down in a match. I'm turning the elevation knob on most every shot. A few years ago talking with the Premier tech (who also has repaired S&B's....) said my game is tough on scopes, cranking on the elevation knob on every shot. Every one of my scopes that have failed were tracking/elevation turret issues, S&B, NightForce and Premier. I'm now to the point I'll trade off my scopes every two years. I've had scope failures in expensive entry fee matches, long travel.... it stinks! Most likely my next scopes will be the Minox 5-25/MR4 reticle.

Your game is different than mine. I will turn knobs on my scope only at the very beginning of a match, for distance. I do go from 600 to 1000 yards and back as I use the rifle for both distances and that represents 17.50MOA of dialing up or down. But once the distance is set, I may change elevation by a click or two all day. Maybe a little more if there's a big temperature difference between the first match in the morning and the last one maybe in the early afternoon.

As for windage; that is something I will set at the beginning of a string and never change during the string unless there's a massive change in conditions. (It has occurred a few times every year.) But once the windage is set, I will hold on target and that's when seeing the rings perfectly is critical to me and that's where the CA-controlling properties of ED glass come into play. ED, or Super ED glass is critical for long range competition. It wasn't when nobody had ED glass, but now, it's just another thing that you need to have at the level of competition.

ETA: As for having a backup scope when going to competitions, I drag my old Nightforce NXS 12-42X56 with me as backup. You're totally right about match fees, travel, accomodations and so on. For example, going to the Worlds in Ottawa in 2017, I made sure I had the backup scope and every other part I could think of at that time. Since then I have added a complete firing pin assembly, some springs and tools for replacing a firing pin spring. With a tool, I can swap the firing ping assembly on the line withing about 2 minutes. Then I can replace the spring back at the hotel and once again, have a backup. I have an action wrench and barrel clamp on a 2X4 that I can use to swap barrels. The last thing I'm looking at for getting a spare is the trigger. I also have canned air in my shooting bag on the line. That was useful for a fellow competitor on the line last match, when he had a misfire and pulled the bolt open and was rewarded with 40-some grains of powder in his action and everything locked up. After a few squirts of air from the can I lent him, he was back in the action.

LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
Hey Dj, is that Razor II the optic you went with for your SCAR 20s? I was considering that one as well for mine. I was also looking at a Nightforce 5-25.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post