SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    B&T APC9-G opinions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

B&T APC9-G opinions Login/Join 
posted
An LGS has a B&T APC9Pro-G in stock. It's priced kinda high but I don't know what list or out-the-door prices should be.

Never saw one before, but as a manufacturing person the quality of machining, finish, fit, and everything was just outstanding. Swiss made does matter.

Any opinions on this model? Takes Glock mags, but the lower is replaceable and not serialized so it's less of an issue.

Of course they counter guy said it was the new US military SMG. No, the APC9K is the military one, with like 1.5" inches shorter barrel, but that doesn't really make much difference to me.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love these type of 9mm guns in general. And of the various options I own (like nearly everything else) the B&T are perhaps the best but at a premium price. To give you a benchmark I paid $2450 for my most recent APC9G. The glock option is the best on the lower. the other two are SIG and B&T. neither are exciting to me although I have them. The glock lowered ones have been in very short supply fwiw. Fitting a brace which is the best thing to do is sadly a serious expense if you want the best option of the B&T slider. But at that point its pretty much perfect. If you have specific questions let me know I love these things and own a bunch.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ Thanks! The price was marked at $2599 which may be full retail if you paid $2450. I thought it was a little high, which is why I asked.

Interestingly, the pricing is better than a new SP5 or SP5K which are selling at $3K or higher despite the $2700 list price.

I already have an MPX-K 4.5" with the telescoping brace and a Scorpion with factory side folder/tailhook.

Seems there is an SB side folder for B&T that looks like an HK stock. The B&T telescoping stock looks very very good though.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I have an APC9, APC45, GHM9 Compact Gen II, P26, TP9 and an APC223. Terrific guns but pricey for what they are. So, up you if you want to spend for Swiss designs over something like a CMMG Banshee that does the same thing with a Glock mag for less than half. AR's are boring to me, so, different is good.

Posts: 3079 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like an action that allows for a side folder or telescoper.

I don't see any reason for a PCC to need a buffer tube for an AR BCG. I will admit the Banshee rotating delayed blowback adaptation of the AR bolt is very clever. But otherwise, AR's are for rifle calibers.

I would get a new HK MP5SK if they weren't selling for WAY over sticker. Maybe after the election and things die down.

posted Hide Post
Since you don't say what you might do with it, its hard to tune this, but I truly own all of these.
The SB brace for the APC folds but is not adjustable. It's inexpensive and easy to install. If it fits you its a great option. It doesn't fit me well, so mine are sitting here. On the APC you can also remove the sling swivel and mount a buffer tube with whatever brace works with that. The APC brace is just about mint. The only complaint I have about it is that it is not locked when forward so you can't use the sling swivel on the gearhook.
I really like the banshee for what it is, mine have been 100% reliable for lots of rounds. But you get a buffer tube and the AR style charging handle which to me is not my favorite. But that has been my PCC gun for some time now.
I have the HK. Its extraordinarily well built. But if you are thinking of running it in competition, it truly sucks. But the HK MP5 guns are some of the few that I would say whatever the price you won't get hurt if for some unforeseen reason you have to sell.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hrcjon,

The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I don’t like the elevation of the rail on the APC. Low profile sights like the Troy micros are too low and standard AR sights are too high for me. I can’t get a proper cheek weld like I can on other PCC’s. It’s a great gun, no doubt, but it’s not my choice because of the weird cheek weld.

If that doesn’t bother you, it’s a great gun. As for the mags, I hate PCC’s that use pistol mags. I think the swept back angle looks stupid and don’t reload as cleanly. I would prefer the B&T stick mags.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ I'm with you on the mags. I think curved MP5/MPX mags look better than pistol mags, and straight mags are second to curved. But for police that carry Glocks, I can see how the mag compatibility is desirable. P320 compatibility is nice but limited to 21 rounds. I suppose that might be a thing for US military now that P320's are issued. Maybe Sig will make 30 round P320 mags but they will cost $100 each.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I don’t like the elevation of the rail on the APC.

with what setup?

Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Lefty

An APC9K Pro is on my want list. But the non-K would be a fine substitute.

I would see if that shop will take $100 off and if so I would be on it.

FWIW that price is what I have seen them listed for on GunBroker "buy now" prices for non-G models. So they are not dramatically above market.

Looking forward to pics when you get yours!

HK Ag

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the price is fine in my mind, if my local lgs had one at that price I'd buy it in this market, especially a glock one. These aren't too common (nor of course is anything in this market) I'm not sure where esdunbar is going on cheek weld, but using both the SB Tactical brace and the B&T brace I have no issues running aimpoint optics with backup sights in a number of different configurations. I don't like the length of the SB tactical but the cheek weld if fine. I haven't used the std. buffer tube mount but it does seem a bit low on inspection. Mags are somewhat a different issue. I love using the glock mag, they are cheap, easily available and universal. Nearly all the PCC guns run that. esdunbar is off the mark that they are harder to reload. But in any case if you buy it and don't like the glock lower I (and a million other people) will swap you for one of the others.

Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly the advantage the model you’re looking at has over my APC9 is no reciprocating charging handles and ambi folding charging handles, both upgrades from mine. I don’t own a Glock so the Glock lower model wouldn’t be my first choice but I believe you can order the factory mag lower for that model and run either or. The price isn’t bad really. In this atmosphere I’d jump on it. I own the Gen 1 APC9 and GHM9. I have 2 of the side folding SB Tactical braces for the APC and decided I wanted the collapsible stock and tail hook. I’ll probably end up SBR’ing the APC. For the GHM9 I have the side folding thin stock that also fits the SP9 with a tail hook brace as well. One day I’ll get the collapsed for the GHM also. Again, I’d go for it. By the time of the election the price may go up and pretty certain even worse if Sleepy Joe Sliden gets elected. I’ve never had a sliver of buyers remorse with my B&T’s.

Posts: 6009 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The safety is an issue. The right side lever is small but marginally acceptable as a primary, but the larger left side digs into my left hand (why anyone makes ambi stuff that is not symmetrical makes little sense to me).

Are there any aftermarket options? I have Apex low profile levers on my Scorpion for comparison. I liked the HK style APEX levers but they interfere with the factory folder + tailhook I am using now.

posted Hide Post
I don't have the issue of course. I know HBI makes a right side delete, but that won't help you. But it might be worth asking if they are thinking about left or a pair. Preston precision has interesting B&T stuff that I have used (and what are surely low volume parts) so you might inquire there. And lastly I know some have made an AR trigger work, maybe an AR safety is a possibility (said without looking internally at all, so just a swag).