SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Gibbz Side Charging Upper?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gibbz Side Charging Upper? Login/Join 
posted
Ramping up research for my .300BLK pistol build.

I have never been a fan of the forward assist but the thought of a slick side upper for home defense may not be the best thing.

I have always been intrigued by the side charger and it seems like Gibbz has the best layout considering it doesn't require a proprietary BCG.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I do have experience with this:

https://www.americanspiritarms...product-p/scr-bc.htm

While I do see the perceived benefit of an unmodified BCG, The ASA product is very well made, and has a slick, folding charging handle a la L1A1.

I don't remember if I looked at the Gibbz when I was shopping, but at the time, the main thing for me was the chunky charging handles.

Both the Gibbz and ASA are non-reciprocating, which is also key.

Also, the ASA appealed to me for the machined closure to the rear channel for the gas key. It looks like the Gibbz has something like that. Other offerings just give you a stupid plastic plug or equally half assed solution.

So, take a look at the ASA, I like it, I thought I'd throw it out there, even with its modded carrier.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I have a Gibbz; main gripe is it doesn't work on handguards with anti-rotation tabs unless you remove them. Otherwise, its a nice piece of kit.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
That's nice looking upper ... I had a bad experiance with ASA along time ago and haven't given them a second look since ... There are lots of other really good AR parts suppliers out there so I just skipped them.
If it hadn't been for your strong recommendatio I wouldn't have even clicked on the link ... I hadn't planned on building any more AR's but this really gives me something to concide Thanks!

I wish the Manticore Switchback (extended) charge handle I'd bought for my Scorpion EVO looked that nice and clean!

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the ASA but I'm not sure if the proprietary BCG will work.

I would like to put a PDW style stock on it and some of them require a proprietary BCG as well for a shorter buffer tube.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I'm saving up for a gibbz, for my 308 AR, I've handled them an they seem nicely made.

that said the charging handle has a long "shield" to keep dirt out of the action which can be interfered with by your choice of stock, but that shouldn't be an issue on a pistol.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
As I have had more experience with semi auto rifles, I realize the benefits of getting away from the T-handle on the AR (to me).
What I really want (I think) is a non-reciprocating, left side charging handle with a last round bolt hold open. Some parts availability would be nice also.
Oh, and in a rifle that doesn’t cost $2000+.

These are a few reasons why I was drawn to SIG’s 556 series. I still kind of lament their decision to abandon that line.

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
As I have had more experience with semi auto rifles, I realize the benefits of getting away from the T-handle on the AR (to me).
What I really want (I think) is a non-reciprocating, left side charging handle with a last round bolt hold open. Some parts availability would be nice also.
Oh, and in a rifle that doesn’t cost $2000+.

These are a few reasons why I was drawn to SIG’s 556 series. I still kind of lament their decision to abandon that line.

I feel like their decision to abandon it was wrong, but I don't pay the bills either. While the AR is dominating the market and likely will for the foreseeable future, I don't see that as a reason to completely abandon the 55x ... It's still a fantastic rifle, although the 556 has had more than its share of problems, in the end they were overcome.

I'm keeping mine!

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of }BuLL
posted Hide Post
I went with the Gibbz upper on my 300blk SBR build. I have been really pleased with it. Although I do like the folding charging handle on the ASA. Gibbz was the only non-reciprocating upper available when I was building mine.

Posts: 131 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post