SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    New precision rifle setup...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New precision rifle setup... Login/Join 
posted
Got this put together on a budget. (ORYX, Bighorn Origin, 25" X-Caliber 6mm Creedmoor, SRD762QD, Timney HIT)

Posts: 3503 | Registered: September 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
Nice setup. Gonna be a shooter I bet!

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Nice setup! What color is the Oryx chassis? All I can find is ODG.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice build! The Origin is fantastic action for the money. How's the trigger/bolt timing? A very nice feature of the Bighorn actions is they offer different cocking pieces to time the trigger/bolt properly, easy swap. Handloading? A few around me load for the 6CM, can get their loads if needed.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Nice! I have an Origin action, x caliber barrel, and old AICS awaiting a few more parts. Did you go with a prefit?

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Nice! I have an Origin action, x caliber barrel, and old AICS awaiting a few more parts. Did you go with a prefit?

Do you have a trigger yet for your Origin? Highly recommend timing your action. A great feature of the Bighorn actions.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I have a Timney Calvin Elite. I’ll have to do some research on timing.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yea, it’s a Savage prefit I ordered before they offered the Origin prefits, called and asked what the difference was and they said “nothing”... Confused

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rln_21,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
quote:

Do you have a trigger yet for your Origin? Highly recommend timing your action. A great feature of the Bighorn actions.

How does one go about timing it?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rln_21,

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I use my Sig 762qd can on 2 different Ar15s in 223 and one in 300BLK.....they make a great suppressor.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k5blazer:
Nice setup! What color is the Oryx chassis? All I can find is ODG.

They only sell it OD green, I had to buy the black panels separate from Oryx. Kinda smart on their part I guess but maddening that you can’t order it the color you want.

posted Hide Post
With bolt in action, cock the bolt. Lift the bolt, measure the distance between the the firing pin assembly protrusion and the shroud, write that down. Close the bolt (don't pull trigger) measure that distance again. Difference is the amount of "cock on close". Perfect it would be the exact same number or zero cock on close. Most likely the number is in the .020-.030. That much cock on close will give resistance to closing the bolt. All triggers are different, manufacturers don't know what trigger is being used, actions will most likely have too much cock on close. I've measure R700's with .050 plus cock on close, cycle like poop. Call Bighorn with those numbers and with your bolt in hand. Most likely talk to Aaron, good guy. They have cocking pieces in .010 increments. You can either buy the piece, install yourself or send your action to them and they'll install it. They'll walk you through swapping it out if you do it yourself and go over trigger fall. Anyone buying a new Bighorn direct from them, send in your trigger, they'll time it for no charge.

Getting the cock on close as little as possible will make your action cycle very well, close the bolt with very little effort. Shooting fast, less disturbance... Other manufacturers use a standard Remington R700 cocking piece that is pinned on the firing pin assembly, most use a $25 PT&G cocking piece. In that case the cocking piece is taken out and surface ground to the right dimension on a jig. I've had this done on my actions, $100-150 labor. Strongly believe it's well worth it. Having the action timed will have no effect on reliability. I put 25K+ rounds/countless dry fires on a Bighorn TL2 that was timed, no problems. FYI, not many gunsmiths offer a timing service or even understand it.

Measure here.

Cocking piece. Dimension that changes is the ramp just pass the hole. That ramp engages with the sear, the timing of all that with the bolt/action lugs.... There's stacked Allen set screws holding it on.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: offgrid,

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I don't know much about bolt action precision rifles, but that looks nice!

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
That looks fantastic. Nicely done!

Let us know how it shoots.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Roy, every rifle I've tried to use a QD brake and suppressor on has not shot as well as directly attaching the suppressor to the barrel. The QD brakes also don't work nearly as well as good brakes. I've tried this on a few AR's and precision rigs as well as an AI with different barrels on it. In every case, accuracy went down. This was with Silencerco products. In a match, you also won't see anyone running a QD brake either. It's either a good solid brake, or a DA'd suppressor. Something to think about.

Posts: 4668 | Location: Marysville, WA | Registered: May 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trying out the 10 shot Ladder Test.

This was a 100 yard, 0.7" 10 shot group with each round loaded in increasing 0.2 grain increments from 40.6 to 42.4. So the ES on velocity was 136, I think once I settle on one powder charge this thing should shoot pretty darn good.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McGee23:
Hey Roy, every rifle I've tried to use a QD brake and suppressor on has not shot as well as directly attaching the suppressor to the barrel. The QD brakes also don't work nearly as well as good brakes. I've tried this on a few AR's and precision rigs as well as an AI with different barrels on it. In every case, accuracy went down. This was with Silencerco products. In a match, you also won't see anyone running a QD brake either. It's either a good solid brake, or a DA'd suppressor. Something to think about.

Ive had this suppressor for couple years. I agree the QD brake on it, particularly this Sig design, is mostly ineffective. Barely noticeable recoil reduction with no suppressor.

However, with this Sig suppressor I haven't yet noticed any loss in accuracy with the suppressor attached or not. If anything, both guns I ran it on before seemed to shoot slightly better with it on.
I also have not been able to measure a real POI shift either, its just barely noticeable at 100 if it's there at all with lightweight profile (AR10) or light varmint (bolt) barrels. I do think their taperlok system works as advertised in that respect.

The guns I was running it on were not quite as precise as this one Im putting together so Im interested to see what I'm able to notice with this setup with and without the suppressor.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
With bolt in action, cock the bolt. Lift the bolt, measure the distance between the the firing pin assembly protrusion and the shroud, write that down. Close the bolt (don't pull trigger) measure that distance again. Difference is the amount of "cock on close". Perfect it would be the exact same number or zero cock on close.

I must have gotten lucky, it’s only cocking .003-.004” on close.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Very nice, I've never built a bolt action only semis.
Have only upgraded a Rem 5R but this looks like it was a fun project.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Very nice, I've never built a bolt action only semis.
Have only upgraded a Rem 5R but this looks like it was a fun project.

This is probably easier than an AR in most respects with the custom action and prefit barrel, just the head spacing is something you have to set.

If you get a shouldered prefit from someone like PVA then you don’t even have to do that, just check it like you would an AR.