SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Anything better than the Trijicon 1-8 for the money?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anything better than the Trijicon 1-8 for the money? Login/Join 
With bad intent
posted
About to grab one of these but want to make sure I've explored all my options. Anything better than the Trijicon at 1150.00?

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Honestly, I don't think the 1-8s are ready for prime time. I think they need a couple of years.

I have a 1-4 Accupower which is great and just got a Vortex PST Gen 2 1-6, which after a replacement for a defective illumination dial (shouldn't have beta tested, but Vortex made it right).

I looked through the 1-8 at Shot and really liked it EXCEPT for the uncapped, HUGE turrets. If they had put capped turrets like the 1-4 I would likel own one already.

Guys seem to like them on other forums, with complaints about the turrets (some are great, some are meh with respect to clicks, etc) and the illumination not being super bright.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But I guess of everything out there, I think it is the best bang for the buck. At that price you could buy, shoot, and sell for little to no loss.

The red illumination is reported to be brighter than the green, FYI.

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I had a Burris XTR II 1.5-8 and it was ok. I have a USO 1.5-6 now and would really like the 1-8 version but Im not going to be putting up that kind of cash. I suppose the shortcomings on the Trijicon I could live with for the price.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't think the 1-8s are ready for prime time. I think they need a couple of years.

I take it this is because it's fairly new, and not because it has some known issues?

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
I don't think the 1-8s are ready for prime time. I think they need a couple of years.

I take it this is because it's fairly new, and not because it has some known issues?

Yes.

1-4s were first and seem to be plenty of rock solid options.

1-6s were new a couple years ago, but for the most part have been good, leading to more options (low to high price range).

1-8s, especially in the more available price range, are relatively new - it's a different zoom ratio, so new and different 'magic' inside to make it happen.

So yes, just that they are new to the market. I think Trijicon would have a real winner if they had capped the turrets, but that's just my opinion. I'm not gonna be dialing with a 1-anything often.

posted Hide Post
That's a great price. Do you mind sharing where they are available at that price?

Thanks

Posts: 694 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post