SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What's this odd .22LR ammo?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's this odd .22LR ammo? Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
Hey, SF, here I go asking questions again.

I took some time yesterday to take inventory on the shop shelves. In the process I found this box of .22LR and noticed that it says "without gunpowder" on the box.

That seemed odd, so I took one out of the box to have a look. Well, dig this: the cartridge is noticeably shorter than the good ol' Mini-mag cartridge.

I'm not sure where these came from, honestly, so the question now is "what the heck have I got here?"

No gunpowder? Really? What's the point? How's it work? Does it work? What in the world?? Confused

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
It's a quiet hunting/target round. Super light bullet. Shouldn't work in an autoloader.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
So, there's really no powder? The primer explosion is enough to push the bullet out?

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I've used them in a Ruger 22/45 for dispatching pest animals in the back yard. They have a similar report to a high powered pellet gun (decently loud pop, but not "gunshot loud"), and similar ballistic capabilities.

No, they won't cycle a semiauto. You'd have to work the action manually.

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
“Colibrí” means hummingbird in Spanish. The Aguila ammunition company uses that term to refer to a couple (or more?) .22 rimfire loads that I believe use only the priming compound to propel the bullet. I thought the “super” load might have a little gunpowder, but based on your package, evidently not. They are obviously very low powered and pretty quiet. They are used for short range shooting for targets or small pests when minimum noise and penetration/range is desired.

At one time at least they warned against using the lower velocity version in rifles, probably because the bullets might not exit the longer barrels.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
used for short range shooting for targets or small pests

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
used them in a Ruger 22/45 for dispatching pest animals in the back yard.

Aha! Now I remember! The ex wanted something like that for dealing with a few skunks at her mama's place some years ago. I've not fired any of these myself... I'm going to have to go try it!

SF's got all my answers this week, for sure. Cool

God bless America.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have a box of them. They work fine in my savage MKII bolt action. Very quiet. Quiet as the gun with a subsonic round and the suppressor on it.

Perfect for dispatching a nope rope (snake) in the city limits w/o the neighbors calling the cops.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
"nope rope"

Big Grin

God bless America.

posted Hide Post
Super quiet.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
Some years ago I got into buying different types of Aguila to use with a Sparrow suppressor. Since it's not specifically marked on the box, I did some research to see what the differences were between the different rounds. Here's some info you might be interested in listed in ascending order of muzzle velocity.

Aguila Ammo Gouge:
- Colibri: 420 fps 20gr 8 ft/lbs energy at muzzle
- Super Colibri: 590 fps 20 gr 16 ft/lbs
- SSS Sniper: 950 fps 60 gr 120 ft/lbs
- LR Subsonic: 1025 fps 30 gr 89 ft/lbs
- Super Extra: 1135 fps 40 gr 114 ft/lbs
- Super Max: 1700 fps 30 gr 193 ft/lbs

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2540 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Thought that was called a...yep, that's also known as a CB Cap. Nice, relatively quiet way to pop rats in the palm trees down on the border. The IZH94 in the house seems to like them just fine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_CB

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Neat info, Tailhook. Thank you.

God bless America.

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
CB leadings are very quiet out of a longer barreled bolt action rifle.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
Unwanted critter getter.

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Careful in rifle barrels. I've stuck a couple.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3181 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
I have a couple bricks of this stuff. It makes less noise out of my old Remington pump rifle than my RWS 48 pellet rifle. I keep the rifle loaded in my garage for dispatching annoying critters.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beltfed21:
I keep the rifle loaded in my garage for dispatching annoying critters.

I can get away with it on the old lady 3 houses down?

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
quote:
Originally posted by beltfed21:
I keep the rifle loaded in my garage for dispatching annoying critters.

I can get away with it on the old lady 3 houses down?

Yes. I’ve done it. In the front yard, and no one came out to see the nope rope’s last dance

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Sorry I didn’t get back to you sooner. Yes, my neighbors behind me don’t hear it going off. A handgun is louder.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Used them to dispatch pests with my S&W 617. Definitely short range only but they worked well up to pigeon size birds..

Posts: 2302 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post