SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Fixed v QD Scope Mounts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fixed v QD Scope Mounts Login/Join 
Banned
posted
I have used QD mounts and always found them convenient. using ADM, ARMS, and LaRue, I have never hade problems reproducing my zero.

ore and more , I am seeing companies like AERO Precision selling a lot of fixed mounts. Is there a benefit to this system??
Thanks YPH

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many of us have realized that we keep our scopes mounted on one rifle for extended periods at a time. Maybe even for the life of the scope or the rifle, whichever comes first.

Fixed mounts are generally lighter, cheaper, and less things to snag -- if moving around is what one does with a rifle. I have QD mounts and they work just fine. I doubt that I will buy any more, however.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I use QD's on all my AR's and any semis and fixed rings on all bolt actions.
Never had a zero issues on any of them.
ADM, Larue, Bobro, Seekins.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Warne QDs on my AR and Mini 14. Will pick up a set of QDs for my Ruger PC, too. I use Warne Fixed on everything else.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Well, I was going to give a non QD Mount but there was an excellent deal in the classifieds on an ADM that I could not pass up. Roll Eyes

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
I like Bobro and Kinetic development. Would never buy LaRue as its a friction mount as opposed to a clamp like the aforementioned.

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I tend to never / hardly ever move scopes around. So I just buy fixed due to generally being cheaper.

But say if you had some $2K - $3K glass you wanted to move around between guns. Then the QD would make sense to me.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8837 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I stopped buying QD mounts and pretty much only use Geissele and Spuhr. My optics don’t get moved around and in the off chance they do, the RTZ when torquing down the bolts is very good.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
If it has iron sights I like a removable mount. If it’s a bolt gun or otherwise doesn’t have irons, I’ll use fixed. Sometimes I just enjoy removing the optic and shooting irons.

I don’t really have a “need” for quick detach mounts, I just seem to get them over fixed. I like having the option even if I don’t use it.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I like QD mounts mainly for storage. My safe is pretty full and leaving a scope mounted on a rifle when I put it in the safe makes things a LOT more crowded, and IMO also increases the possibility of damage to the scope from contact with other residents of the safe.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post