SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Suggestion: Check the mount FIRST!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestion: Check the mount FIRST! Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
Background: Let an officer mount his own EOTech on his own rifle and bring it to the range for zeroing and qualifying.

Results: Nothing but frustration with a couple of rounds that look good and then no relationship between the sight correction and the next shots. Forty plus rounds of expensive duty ammunition later and, “Maybe I should check the mount”: Free movement in the slot back and forth.

Another twelve rounds and it’s hitting where it’s aimed. I hate EOTechs anyway, but this one I couldn’t blame on the sight.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That reminds me of the tech's question to a computer issue: Have you turned it off and then turned it back on again? Wink

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Yep, that can make a difference. Amazing how few realize that and blame the optic/sight.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
had a young kid bring a rifle in a few days ago,
he was not getting consistent accuracy, and was thinking of getting a new scope,

I took the scope off the mount, and checked,,,
yep, the bases were loose,

tightened them up, put the scope back on, rezero-ed for him and he was good to go,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I bought a scope and rings from Cabela's, so they offered to install it for free. I went out shooting, and within a few shots, had it zeroed (honestly, their bore-sighting zero was nearly perfect already.) so I was pegging soda cans at 100 yards, for 10 or so shots, and then started to miss.

I checked the ammo, the barrel, let the gun cool off, refocused the scope, made sure the dials on the scope weren't broken or loose or whatever, etc. etc.

Couldn't figure out why, till I realized the recoil had pushed the scope backward in the rings. buggered up the side of the scope with a big scratch from a burr on one of the rings, too.

not sure how it happened - just a ring too loose or one of the screws in the ring didn't stay tight enough... something.

I took it back to Cabela's, and they replaced the scope and rings with new ones, re-installed them, tightened it down a bit more, and told me to come back if I had any issues - apologizing profusely. and I haven't had a problem since.

Taught me that lesson though - just "checking" stuff like the barrel, the mag, the temp of the gun, etc. without finding anything to fix, and expecting the problem to go away, doesn't work and just wastes ammo. Big Grin

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
Also check out the torque specs yourself don't count on memory. Alan lareau Mount I was going off 15 inch pounds of torque and the scope was moving around a little look at my attached brochure of the Room Mount I was using requires 30 inch pounds.

Making sure new people to Optics know that foot pounds in inch pounds or different is a good idea too.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
just "checking" stuff like the barrel, the mag, the temp of the gun, etc. without finding anything to fix, and expecting the problem to go away, doesn't work and just wastes ammo.

So true. Smile

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post