SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Has Anyone Ever Actually Shot A Winchester 1885 Trapper In .45-70?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has Anyone Ever Actually Shot A Winchester 1885 Trapper In .45-70? Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted
So I was wasting time today, as I often do on a Sunday morning, and I came across some GB listings for Winchester 1885 Trappers in .45-70. "Hmm", I thought, "a sixteen inch barrel and a curved buttstock. I wonder what kind of masochist it would take to shoot that on a regular basis?"

So if anyone's shot one, how hard did it kick and how well did it shoot?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Cant say I have ever shot that model but I shoot my Marln Guide frequently and to be honest I just dont find the recoil to be all that bad.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I used to shoot a #1 Ruger in 45/70. Recoil wasn't bad.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I had a garrison model,but gave to a member here.
He has some meat on his frame,me its weaselly bones.
It was very accurate,bore real shiny,lots of patina and right kartushes .
Eyesite just was just not there for good shooting with the sights on the thing.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I have an 1886 SRC in 45/70, the 80's or 90's browning version

shoots well with all variety of loads, not punishing at all,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I have a Marlin 1895 rifle, and love it.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I have shot a friend's 1885 Trapper in 30-40 and found that it kills at both ends. I bet the 45-70, which weighs 6 lbs, does as well.

Posts: 26891 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I was kind of wondering about the .30-40 as well. I bet it would make neat shooter with a different buttstock and a longer barrel, though - sort of the kind of sporting rifle someone might order right when the .30-40 was adopted by the government.

I was kind of surprised by what I saw over on the Marlin website. Apparently most of the .45-70s they offer right now come with 18.5 inch barrels and weigh around 7 to 8 pounds. I guess if those rifles can be shot in reasonable comfort then there might be a load out there that would at least be tolerable in the Trapper. Six pounds is awful light, though.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Factory .45-70 ammo is loaded to all sorts of pressures -- from cowboy action/black powder equivalents to large game stuff. Muzzle energies of 1500 to 3700 foot pounds. Charts charts put the felt recoil energies in the 18-38 foot pounds range, which means close to 308 Winchester on the low end to 338 Win Mag on the high end.

I shot a 45-70 lever gun, loaded with mid-range ammo. I believe it was a Winchester replica. For a round or two the recoil was tolerable, but the recoil would have been quite unpleasant for repeated shooting.

Posts: 7866 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Maybe?

My friend had one for a while and I honestly don't remember if I shot it or not. I told him "When you sell it (which he always does, fairly quickly) let me know and I will buy it." And he didn't, and I'm still mad.

I have a Hepburn with a short, light barrel (for a Hepburn) in .45-90. To me, the Remington sporting rifle stock is about the worst design ever. Like a curved stock, but rounded, especially at the top, designed to make it hurt more I think. Wink 500gr paper patched bullets, chocked to the brim with black powder and the fun wears off pretty quick, all due to that butt design.

With "BP level loads" I don't think that Winchester would be too punishing.

Posts: 21092 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
No but I have shot a BFR revolver in 45/70 so man up it's a rifle. Wink Razz

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7668 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Somehow I find the idea of a Winchester 1885 in a Trapper version to be kind of an odd combo. When I think "Model 1885", a rifle with a 28" octagon is the picture I envision.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I'm with you. In fact, I tend to think of it with one of the heavier, larger-diameter barrels that were apparently popular in the 1800's. Not necessarily one of those huge ones like those you'd see on the last of the great muzzle-loading target rifles, but something substantial nonetheless.

I could certainly see a Trapper-length barrel on a rifle chambered for an intermediate cartridge, though.

posted Hide Post
The lighter loads (300-350 Gr) are easier to tolerate.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16059 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
I have a Marlin 1895CB. I only shoot Remington 405 gr. R4570G ammo thru it. The hotter loads are for heavier rifles such as a Ruger No. 1.

Take a look at the last 4 pages in the link:
Remington Ballistics

The 405 grain bullet has 1330 muzzle velocity, energy is 1590 ft/lb at the muzzle.

Many of the lighter bullets have a much higher velocity and energy.

CW

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
Have not shot a 'trapper' but I do have multiple 45/70's and a 45/90. The cartridge can be loaded to three different specs (per reload manual) for smokeless powder and also blackpowder loads. Recoil is more of a push with BP. Factory rounds can be more recoil intense especially Buffalo Bore ammo. Check out 'carbine' loads etc. And remember it is a .45 caliber rifle!

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Last time I looked, I had a whole pile of 45-70 rifles. I used to shoot them fairly often. No, I don't have a Trapper length barrel. But the B78 versions both have steel recoil pads. Make that recoil absorbing steel. It doesn't really hurt that badly if you're wearing a jacket. My 1886 is a Montana Centennial version. I'm pretty sure the gold flashing and pretty wood calms things.. Or not. Again, with a coat or shooters jacket, its not bad. With just a T shirt you start feeling it in the first few shots. Then you feel it more.

Factory duplication loads make a lot of sense. Maybe its not bear medicine unless its smaller bears, as in those with very dark color. I'd guess that a 405 grain bullet will penetrate. Someplace I've got a whole cigar box of 500 grain cast bullets. Those are the ones the soldiers used at the start. Then the powers that be "downloaded" the powder charge to make it more tolerable for the carbine users. Still enough medicine for a 120# injun.

Except the injun's were shooting back with light recoiling 44-40s.

Its my guess that Browning misjudged the market by using that historically correct steel recoil pad. Mine would be a lot more fun with rubber.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Winchester 1885 Trapper

I don't know the model the family Uncle has, but its a short 45-70.

Range loads aren't bad at all, fun in fact. The full bore boomers are stout, but not unmanageable.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
I have a Winchester Model 94 Timber in 450 Marlin. After 8 shots my shoulder had had enough.

She's become a safe queen since moving to Ohio 10 years ago.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:
I have a Winchester Model 94 Timber in 450 Marlin. After 8 shots my shoulder had had enough.

She's become a safe queen since moving to Ohio 10 years ago.

I had a Marlin guide gun in 450 Marlin. Recoil was an event you took notice of.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post