SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    A Nice Rig for Long Distance Shooting
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Nice Rig for Long Distance Shooting Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted
saw this posted - thought it a pretty cool setup

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
Now that is quite the set up!

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Looks a bit much for the average deer,Elk, or bear hunter.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Needs more knobs and doodads

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
It would have to be long distance ,no way in hell could an old shit like me to carry that in the woods hunting.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
That might print a little to much for CCW!

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
That might print a little to much for CCW!

Naw, just don't AIWB and you'll be fine.

I like it although it would set one up to be great target.

Maybe for NRA Hi-Power?

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
http://www.lonestarfieldproducts.com/

It does not appear to be a product of the same company unless I am not finding it there. The Lone Star Field rest does not use a single contact point and clamp. Or is that not the point, and it’s simply posted as an example another system?

Do we know the origin of the one posted at the top?

This sort of thing is interesting, but the one pictured doesn’t seem fundamentally different from the PIG saddle that also clamps to the rifle. In my experience such aides help greatly with stability, but they don’t eliminate rifle movement entirely, and there’s still a fair amount of skill required for accurate shooting.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Does it come with a hay stack blind?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ozarkwoods:
Does it come with a hay stack blind?

No but it does come with a USMC 0317 to pull the trigger, he does not fit in the case though and keeping him in whiskey is more expensive than the ammo

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
http://www.lonestarfieldproducts.com/

It does not appear to be a product of the same company unless I am not finding it there. The Lone Star Field rest does not use a single contact point and clamp. Or is that not the point, and it’s simply posted as an example another system?

This sort of thing is interesting, but the one pictured doesn’t seem fundamentally different from the PIG saddle that also clamps to the rifle. In my experience such aides help greatly with stability, but they don’t eliminate rifle movement entirely, and there’s still a fair amount of skill required for accurate shooting.

I was linking to a very effective rest that appears to be widely utilized by military and police, the Spec Rest. I have an earlier version by the same company that is more complex and not as quickly adjustable, and my experience with it results in me having some understanding of what makes a field steady rest useable. I think this one is, though I haven't used one.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I sold a leather sling to a gent a few years back. He was only saving $20 off a new one, but I think he liked to network.

He was in his 60s and exercised 50 weeks a year to go hunting 2 weeks a year. Worked with a spotter, shot mountainside to mountainside. Anything under ¼ mile was not sporting, he thought. He brought in his rifle to show me.

His rifle was so plain I thought it was missing a few parts.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of this one from The Jackal

quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

Cup holders!

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Traveler
Picture of Sweden
posted Hide Post
quote:

Looks similar in design to the 'HOG Saddle', but different clamping.

Posts: 2484 | Location: CO | Registered: April 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

quote:

Cup holders!

Cigarette lighter.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

quote:

Cup holders!

Cigarette lighter.

Maybe could be done at the muzzle....lol

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
If firearms had gender, this rifle would be female.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sweden:
quote:

Looks similar in design to the 'HOG Saddle', but different clamping.

Yes, I had the less expensive but similar PIG saddle that worked well but was definitely not rock solid.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Holy cow! I just realized that all my really Right Stuff photo gear, tripod and gimbal mount can be used with just the addition of the rifle clamp they now build. 2 for 1! Look under their SOAR gear if you go there and bring a large stack of bills.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2872 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post