SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Finally scored a Tail Hook
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally scored a Tail Hook Login/Join 
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted

I replaced the KAK brace. I haven't shot it yet but it feels solid. Its mounted on a 9" tube from Gear Head.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Been waiting on these, glad to see they are starting to materialize.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
Been waiting on these, glad to see they are starting to materialize.

Ive been checking randomly since January,and they were always out of stock until last week.

I checked the day after I ordered mine and they were again out of stock.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
Can't wait to hear what you think. I'm deciding between a tailhook w/ factory stock and a SB tactical folder for my scorpion. Both options are pricy so any feedback on either is appreciated.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:
Can't wait to hear what you think. I'm deciding between a tailhook w/ factory stock and a SB tactical folder for my scorpion. Both options are pricy so any feedback on either is appreciated.

Hopefully, there will be a small break in the heat this weekend and I will be able to run it some.

Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
I look forward to hearing your impressions!

Not Today
posted Hide Post
quote:
I look forward to hearing your impressions!

Its solid piece of hardware. Im using the 9" buffer tube from Gear Head because I have long arms and it fits me very well. The only change I will make will be adding a piece of foam to the tube similar to Phase5 tactical.

I ran a couple hundred rounds of 150gr fmj supers today and never felt uncomfortable. Compared side by side to the KAK the GHW Tailhook wins that contest but at nearly twice the price. I think its worth it but YMMV.

I never deployed the brace feature once so I cant speak to that.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I've been eyeing a CZ Scorpion with factory folding mechanism and Tailhook adapter. Looks like that'd be the closest non-NFA thing to a factory Scorpion SBR.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
posted Hide Post
That looks good......^^

posted Hide Post
Just curious what's the barrel length on your Ar-15 pistol?

We the unappreciated
must do the unimaginable
and see the unthinkable
to protect the ungrateful

Posts: 801 | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by depusm12:
Just curious what's the barrel length on your Ar-15 pistol?

8.5" I believe. Its a KAK Value line with melonite finish in .300 B.O.

Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
quote:

Having had a Scorpion with a KAK shockwave, then later an SBT EVO, (and currently an MP5K with an SBT5K) I can say you will not regret getting an SBT brace. The damn things are as close to a stick as possible, and look great. Seriously, after using two of them, there is no better choice.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm between the SB tactical folding brace an a tail hook with CZ factory folder. They're about 150$ & 200$ respectively, which is an equivalent price to me. I'd heard the CZ won't fold into a locked position with the tail hook, whereas the SB does fold completely.

They both look great and look stable.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I just placed an order for a Scorpion with Tailhook. I'll post my thoughts in a couple weeks, once I've had time to get it and try it out.

quote:
I'd heard the CZ won't fold into a locked position with the tail hook, whereas the SB does fold completely.

Does the factory Scorpion stock even lock in the folded position? I thought I had read that it was retained in place by a magnet that's attracted to the serial number plate.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I just placed an order for a Scorpion with Tailhook. I'll post my thoughts in a couple weeks, once I've had time to get it and try it out.

quote:
I'd heard the CZ won't fold into a locked position with the tail hook, whereas the SB does fold completely.

Does the factory Scorpion stock even lock in the folded position? I thought I had read that it was retained in place by a magnet that's attracted to the serial number plate.

yes you are correct. The factory stock doesn't lock in place, but is held by a magnet (modern versions anyway, I've heard the older ones don't have the magnet). Having not laid hands on the factory stock with tailhook set up, I'm unsure if this is even an issue. It appears, based on photos, that the oval shape of the tailhook prevents the stock from fully folding. If so, is it prone to flipping open with a casual movement, or is there still a mechanism that allows at least a semblance of positional stability in the folded position? The SB brace definitely feels solid in the folded position, though it doesn't truely lock into a fold either.

Really what I'd like to know is if, in the folded position the factory brace with tailhook would be flopping around secured to a hiking ruck? I'm a member of the FB evo enthusiasts page and have received differing opinions to my query.

Your review will be helpful, thanks!