SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    West Coast Armory / SigSauer 551 back from refinish
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

West Coast Armory / SigSauer 551 back from refinish Login/Join 
Picture of PGT
posted
I got this recently...previous owner had the diopter base welded but had not refinished it yet. It also has the early round toe or "whale tail" one-piece folding stock. I buffed the cerakote with 0000 SS wool to give it a little shine vs matte finish, did white colorfill on the diopter base to match what it was before paint, degreased it to get all the residue off then soaked in CLP and wiped it down.

Posts: 3062 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice job, looks good

Posts: 435 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Thanks...how it should have come for the $4250 they were charging for them a decade ago.

You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Well done, looks real good.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6956 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
Very nice job! That's about the nicest 556 I've ever seen.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:

It's a 551, but thanks lol

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
quote:

Belgian blue was right, the guns were remarked by west coast armory but they are 556 uppers and barrels, not Swiss 551s. It’s still a gorgeous rifle.

Posts: 267 | Registered: November 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mercedes560:
quote:
quote:

Belgian blue was right, the guns were remarked by west coast armory but they are 556 uppers and barrels, not Swiss 551s. It’s still a gorgeous rifle.

No, they were not remarked by WCA. They are US-made 556 production line uppers and barrels marked 551 and serial-matched to lowers by Sig in NH. I have a Swiss preban 551, 551P, several 553's and 550's so completely understand the difference.

Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I like the old school one piece folding stock.

From memory a very small number of the 250 units had green furniture.
My WCA came with black furniture and a factory semi lower thus it has a factory grey selector.

Love the diopter sight on it.

HK Ag

Posts: 3491 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Beautiful weapon! What color cerakote did you go with? I ordered a sig 550 from JDI that is coming unfinished and I am trying to figure what color to paint mine when it comes.

Posts: 7720 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WOW that is one sharp rifle!

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I have a second WCA lower....it has grey levers on it. Never occurred to me to check.

As for color, this was a custom blend. It's not a perfect match as there have been several variations in grey over the years and Cerakote's "Sig Grey" is took dark and too black. This has definite green tones to it though the early green paint is unmistakenly green in comparison.

Here's a WCA grey lower vs. a late 80's green lower.

hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I have a 553 sb arriving at my FFL on Wednesday. It is green and gray. The current grays coming from the fatherland don't quite seem to match my PD 552 from back in the day at least as far as I can tell from photos. Do you know if the swiss are using the same paint and colors?

Posts: 7720 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
definitely not. I have a new production PE90 and 550P and they are more silverish grey. I also have a grey/green 553P on order (did you get the one with diopter and rail?)

hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
definitely not. I have a new production PE90 and 550P and they are more silverish grey. I also have a grey/green 553P on order (did you get the one with diopter and rail?)
no. The 553p sb is a pic rail only as i heard the diopter take several months longer. The 550p is unfinished with diopter only as its what sig sauer ag had avaliable and could be shipped by the begininng of May. Also ordered a 553p lb with aluminum lower in black. Can't wait!

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
there was a special run of grey 553's with diopter and welded pic rail last year that I ordered. I also got a black 550 and another 751 from this recent push before May.

Is the unfinished 550 coming to you that way? I thought Dave was going to have them finished and wouldn't sell raw ones.

I sort of want a bead-blasted and cleared one like Larry Vickers has (started out as a Heavy Metal but he didn't like the finish)

hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Dave asked if I wanted it painted or just sent out as is. I decided to have it painted grey with all of my local cerakote folks being backed up for several months. Hopefully Dave got a deal on time from whoever he contracted with to paint all of the unfinished guns.

posted Hide Post
quote:
there was a special run of grey 553's with diopter and welded pic rail last year that I ordered. I also got a black 550 and another 751 from this recent push before May.

Is the unfinished 550 coming to you that way? I thought Dave was going to have them finished and wouldn't sell raw ones.

I sort of want a bead-blasted and cleared one like Larry Vickers has (started out as a Heavy Metal but he didn't like the finish)

Those Heavy Metal 553s were a total WTF. So terrible looking.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2313 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoshNC:
quote:

Those Heavy Metal 553s were a total WTF. So terrible looking.

Yep. Looked like a kid's toy from the 80's. Here's the pic I saw that got me thinking about a raw finish

hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Yeah, its an interesting look for sure. this is the first pic I saw of the unfinished guns.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gw3971,