SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    S&W 15- 22 6 years later
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W 15- 22 6 years later Login/Join 
posted
I have had my 15-22 for about 6 years now, with this rifle my son learn firearms safety and to shoot. It goes with us almost every trip to the range, in those 6 years I have put around 18000 rds through with some malfunctions but mainly due to ammo and not the rifle. So far I have not had to replace anything except for a few upgrades but overall has been an exceptional rifle and in my opinion the value is great due to been able to have trigger time for a lot less, I highly recommend it for novice and season shooters a like as it is a lot of fun. This rifle has a special place for me since it was the very first firearm that my son used and will stay in my safe indefinitely as it has one of the best memories attach to it.

Posts: 929 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by venenoindy:
in my opinion the value is great due to been able to have trigger time for a lot less, I highly recommend it for novice and season shooters a like as it is a lot of fun.

Totally agree.

A great training tool and a gun to offer 'non-shooters'. Plus - plinking is just plain fun.

----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yup, mine is about 5 years old, not nearly that many rounds through it tho - but it never fails to impress when we shoot it.

Clean and lubed, it cycles (suppressed) with Aguilla Subs for about a hundred rounds, wicked quiet and gets everyone looking to see what it is. After that standards keep it going, just a bit louder.

Problem is I have a wicked 10/22 and CZ452/22 that are also great fun to shoot, so usually the 15-22 stays home because it's magazines are harder to load.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Got mine the first year it came out. Awesome gun. Ended up making it a work training gun when I picked up a threaded barrel version to suppress. The work gun has been used and abused by 30+ of us and is still working. Haven't had to buy anything for it. We maybe clean it from time to time as well.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Problem is I have a wicked 10/22 and CZ452/22 that are also great fun to shoot, so usually the 15-22 stays home because it's magazines are harder to load.

I've never understood this observation.

They are easy to load, and without a gadget: press down on the follower button until the top round is half a case diameter from the top. The next round just drops right in. Easy-peasey.

Edit: The rounds stagger themselves.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:

I've never understood this observation.

They are easy to load and without a gadget: press down on the button until the top round is half a case diameter from the top. The next round just drops right in. Easy-peasey.

I don't find it difficult but it does require to put attention.

Posts: 929 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The staggering is what gets some people. I have never found it to be an issue but I knew about the potential from the beginning and have loaded accordingly.

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
People get in trouble when they try to pull the loading button all the way to the bottom and drop rounds in all at the same time.

If you do that, the rounds may not stagger and you can have feeding issues.

It's just an issue of understanding how the mag is supposed to be loaded and not being lazy about it.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
It's the staggering process that takes time. If mine aren't staggered correctly it ups the odds of it malfunctioning. So I load all my mags at home in my free time, but I never try to reload at the range.

I just pull it down a little bit but you have to watch each round go in to stagger, at least IMO.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
recovering ammoholic
Picture of jaybird86
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's the staggering process that takes time. If mine aren't staggered correctly it ups the odds of it malfunctioning. So I load all my mags at home in my free time, but I never try to reload at the range.

I just pull it down a little bit but you have to watch each round go in to stagger, at least IMO.

Rhino, I am really sorry to spend your money but....

http://www.mcfaden.com/McFadde...ip-Loader-s/1828.htm

I shoot a MP15-22 in competition, and this thing loads a 25 round mag in less than 30 seconds. You need the MP15-22 adapter as well as the unit, but it is the bomb.

The only downside is you go through 22 rounds so much faster, cause its so much easier to load.

v/r,
J

---------------------------------
How's your cardio?
Nature, alas, made only one being out of you although there was material for a good man and a rogue.” -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 1014 | Location: Overrun in Northern VA | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I've had mine about 4-5 years too. I used it at an Apple Seed shoot and was quite impressed. With the cost of ammo today, it's a great way to train and save money IMHIO.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post